Author Topic: DPF Regen issues  (Read 53432 times)

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Re: DPF Regen issues
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 10:01:43 pm »
Hi Oldsteel
Any particular makes/model of electric cars in mind? I may be thinking of electric next time but at the moment the limited range/lack of charging points/cost of vehicle is putting me off. Any model equivalent to the CX5 is way too expensive at the moment. Tesla? Audi? Ha Ha, look at the prices. I could afford a Renault Twizy (Joke of a car)
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Jeff-C

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2019, 08:17:07 pm »
Hi peeps, sorry for jumping in. I'm still not actually sure when my 2014 cx5 is doing a regen! I drive trucks which tell you when it's actually doing a passive regen, or indeed needing to sit and do a regen at high revs. You get so long to carry this out, then it goes into limp mode. I find it hard to believe this kind of feature isn't on cars.

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2019, 10:55:49 pm »
Hi peeps, sorry for jumping in. I'm still not actually sure when my 2014 cx5 is doing a regen! I drive trucks which tell you when it's actually doing a passive regen, or indeed needing to sit and do a regen at high revs. You get so long to carry this out, then it goes into limp mode. I find it hard to believe this kind of feature isn't on cars.

It’s intentional to stop you worrying about t it.   Your truck requires action.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 10:35:14 am »
Hi peeps, sorry for jumping in. I'm still not actually sure when my 2014 cx5 is doing a regen!

To be honest, neither do I on my 2015 model. When new the smell was worse than what I imagine a skunk would emit when in defence mode but now I never notice it by smell or increased consumption although it obviously must be happening from time to time. I now drive the car as and when needs must either short or long journeys and try and forget about these sort of issues. That said, what I do find increasingly annoying is having to check the oil level more frequently than with any other vehicle I have ever owned to see if it's rising to anywhere approaching the 'X' mark which at the moment it is - again. Based on this, I have now booked the car in for an oil change (which I do twice a year as a matter of course due to this issue) as I have two long distance journeys coming up and I have no intention of waiting on the hard shoulder for Mazda rescue to turn up.

Despite the comfort factor along with other plus points that one can associate with the CX5 for me this is a car that I have very little confidence in and would never recommend or indeed myself buy another CX5 in the future. At least with my earlier VW there was an indication like you have experienced that things weren't right and given an opportunity to correct it before going into limp mode if ignored. With my CX5 there is absolutely nothing with the lack of dashboard indication being the worst and that's not even mentioning the introduction of the 'X' mark as an indication that the oil is now heavily diluted. Who ever heard of such a thing?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:37:41 am by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 02:11:50 pm »
It is frustrating I agree but it is very common even on the German brands.  It isn’t a Mazda thing it’s a Euro 6 diesel thing and as Mazda we’re one of the first to meet Euro 6, they’ve suffered with it a long time.  Just for info, they’ve just about cured it on the post 17 models.  Some do it a little bit but you can get a full year with it hardly moving on the stick.

Offline Jeff-C

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:29 pm »
Many Thanks for your replies folks, I'm learning something new all the time. Every day is a school day as they say ????

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2019, 06:41:01 pm »
It is frustrating I agree but it is very common even on the German brands.  It isn’t a Mazda thing it’s a Euro 6 diesel thing and as Mazda we’re one of the first to meet Euro 6, they’ve suffered with it a long time.  Just for info, they’ve just about cured it on the post 17 models.  Some do it a little bit but you can get a full year with it hardly moving on the stick.
Agree. Now at 9,500 and the oil level has increased slightly but still not up to the max mark. My previous 2013 and 2016 CX5's would have been heading to the "X" mark. I think i can leave it it until the annual service or at 12,500 miles. Old habits die hard so I still check the oil level weekly. Incidentally, the oil dilution level is now reading 30%. Should probably just get there before I get a warning message. I used to have a Renault Laguna (2010) which had an oil dilution sensor and it would always flash "service" at approx 9,000 miles. The mileage between services was officially 20,000 miles ::) ::)

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 01:58:43 am »
Agree. Now at 9,500 and the oil level has increased slightly but still not up to the max mark. My previous 2013 and 2016 CX5's would have been heading to the "X" mark. I think i can leave it it until the annual service or at 12,500 miles. Old habits die hard so I still check the oil level weekly. Incidentally, the oil dilution level is now reading 30%. Should probably just get there before I get a warning message. I used to have a Renault Laguna (2010) which had an oil dilution sensor and it would always flash "service" at approx 9,000 miles. The mileage between services was officially 20,000 miles ::) ::)

How do you mean the oil dilution is 30% Jonno?

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 08:03:04 am »

Hi Anchorman
When you go into the maintenance app on the Connect screen I'm on variable servicing and you can scroll down to the oil condition line and it gives a percentage. It started at 100% when new so I presume 100% is good and the lower the percentage the "less good" the oil condition is. I'm presuming at 0% it's "change the oil immediately, go to jail immediately,do not pass go, do not collect £200 :)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:05:43 am by Jonno21 »

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 08:09:18 am »
Hi Anchorman
When you go into the maintenance app on the Connect screen I'm on variable servicing and you can scroll down to the oil condition line and it gives a percentage. It started at 100% when new so I presume 100% is good and the lower the percentage the "less good" the oil condition is. I'm presuming at 0% it's "change the oil immediately, go to jail immediately,do not pass go, do not collect £200 :)
I've made a complete mess of the quote system so starting again. ::)

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 11:46:00 am »
Ah right, I have mine set to 12500 miles and don’t use that screen. I’d seen the % screen but read that as time not dilution/viscosity as it is variable, it can’t give you a mileage.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »
Hi Anchorman
From the manual page 6-13 in footnote 1 there appears to be some sort of oil quality monitor if the maintenance is set to flexible as it was when I collected the car. My car still knows how many miles there is until the next service so I presume there's two sets of information going on. In an ideal world you would think that the sensor information and the mileage information would coincide. Let's hope so. The Laguna I had was so out of sync it was laughable.

steve101

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 08:36:46 pm »
My CX5 has 7500 miles on it, mostly long distance on motorways. I've just checked the oil and it hasn't moved from new. I check it more frequently than I used tp on the other cars I have had as some folk seem to be having trouble with oil on here. The adblue is down to 70% and I intend to have it topped up at its first service.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 10:57:23 am »
The adblue is down to 70% and I intend to have it topped up at its first service.

You'll need to specifically ask for that, it's NOT covered in the standard service checklist.

Alan

steve101

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 03:05:18 pm »
Yes, I know. Just thought I would see what they would charge. I will ask beforehand. I know how much I can get Adblue for and roughly how much I will need. It's things like Adblue and washer bottle top ups that show what the dealer is like for aftersales service. Too easy to get ripped off.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 03:05:18 pm »