Author Topic: Autolock design problem  (Read 3900 times)

Offline bw10030

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Snowflake White
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
Autolock design problem
« on: August 29, 2023, 09:08:00 am »
Hi everyone:

Reporting an issue with the autolock function I had recently on my wifes CX-3, it also affects the CX-5:

If you have Autolock on (which seems a good idea as it you walk away with the car unlocked and the key in your pocket), the doors will lock. They should not lock if the car identifies that the key is inside or in close proximity. However . . . .

My wife unlocked and opened the rear door of the CX-3, by touching but not opening the drivers door (keyless entry) and then put some shopping on the rear seat, including her handbag (which contained the car keys). On shutting the rear door to get in to drive, all doors locked, with the keys inside! I had to come to the rescue with the spare set of keys. It could have been worse. . . . . .

Now I thought this could not happen (that the doors can lock with a key inside). Turns out it can. Apparently the signal from the key can be swamped by (for example) the signal from a mobile phone (if it close proximity). In this case the wife had her phone and the car keys in the handbag. I tried the same scenario in the CX-5 and the same thing happened - you can lock yourself out of the car if the circumsatnces are right! I believe this issue also affect other manufacturers but can't vouch for that.

So on both my cars, autolock is now disabled (it's easy to do through the menu's), point of this post is to warn other that Autolock is not infallible and you could end up locked out of your car. Pressing the lock button on the key fob isn't really such a faff compared with being locked out of your car!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Autolock design problem
« on: August 29, 2023, 09:08:00 am »