Author Topic: Gear Stick Movement Just In 6th Gear  (Read 9330 times)

Offline bigshifty

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Gear Stick Movement Just In 6th Gear
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:15:27 am »
Hi  wondering if anyone can help on this.... i have a diesel sport 14 plate and have just noticed that when i`m driving in 6th gear the gear stick moves forward a little bit when i accelerate then when i ease of the accelerator the gear stick moves back a little .... the movement either way is maybe only 1cm or something,the gears do not crunch or make any noise or anything. Other than this slight movement the gearbox seems fine ... anyone experience this or have any ideas what maybe causing this and should i be worried... car has done 105k miles now

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Gear Stick Movement Just In 6th Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:39:19 pm »
It’s getting a bit worn in the box and is transferring that movement back from the gearbox.

I honestly wouldn’t get involved with that until it starts jumping out of 6th and it might never do so.

Let that one develop!
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:02 am »
With all Transverse engined vehicles there will be mountings which effectively take up the engine's natural desire to rotate forward under power and backwards on the over-run, with 105.000miles under her belt I would expect the mountings to be a little on the worn side now but it is nothing that I would worry about unless the lever starts to really move about,

if you've ever had an old style MINI with the 'Magic Wand' gearstick believe me they REALLY knew how to rock about because their bushes were designed to be obsolete in the shortest time possible, that and the engine mountings would fail so the engine would drop which would really make you wonder if you would be stuck miles from anywhere.

Offline Anchorman

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:33:01 am »
With all Transverse engined vehicles there will be mountings which effectively take up the engine's natural desire to rotate forward under power and backwards on the over-run, with 105.000miles under her belt I would expect the mountings to be a little on the worn side now but it is nothing that I would worry about unless the lever starts to really move about,

if you've ever had an old style MINI with the 'Magic Wand' gearstick believe me they REALLY knew how to rock about because their bushes were designed to be obsolete in the shortest time possible, that and the engine mountings would fail so the engine would drop which would really make you wonder if you would be stuck miles from anywhere.

I had a succession of beat up in my early driving years.  Used to call those gearsticks, pudding stirrers!
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:01:42 am »
Actaully had two Mini's first was an 850 saloon which was written off by a lorry, the second was a Minivan with 1000cc engine it looked like the opposite to Starsky and Hutch's car with white paint/red Flash over bonnet sides and roof. Sold that to a lad at work who painted it sludge pink..............guess it takes all sorts.

Anchorman,
I am sure you have seen my latest missive about How MAD were you in the Past which i started as i guess most of the CX-5 owners are in the older age group in the main and have stories to tell which have a degree of humour about them which given today's H&S Mob curtail a lot of things we used to get up to that would make thei hair stand on end, rdo you have anything or are you keeping schtumm ;D ?

regards
Clarice

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:01:42 am »