Author Topic: Headlight beam cut-off  (Read 6988 times)

Offline MuddyPaws

• I ASPIRE TO BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I AM
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Headlight beam cut-off
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:42:44 pm »
Is there somerhing wrong with the set up of the lights on my car, or are they all like that?- when I am using dipped headlights on my 2014 CX-5 SL there is a very harsh horizontal cut off to the light beam, below this line there is light, above this line total darkness. I have never experienced this on any other car; I have always experienced a gradual fade out of the light beam, with some dimmer light providing peripheral vision upwards, but not enough to dazzle oncoming vehicles.

With absolutely no light above the horizontal cut off on my CX-5, particularly when using country roads, there is no vision what-so-ever beyond where this horizontal cut-off cuts across the road ahead. When descending a dip in the road this is extreamely limited and very disconcerting.

I would welcome the observations of other  pre LED light CX-5s and any suggestions of how to get a little greater distance vision when using dipped beams

Offline Anchorman

• Body: SUV
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Headlight beam cut-off
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:42:48 pm »
It’s typical of projector lights to have a flat cut off and providing they are set right it does reduce the risk of them dazzling somebody. You should have an adjuster to raise them on the dash somewhere but other than that, it’s down to using main beam when possible.

The 16 models have a levelling device attached to the suspension and the 17 onwards have an inertia device under the dash.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline MuddyPaws

• I ASPIRE TO BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I AM
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:29:37 am »
Thank you Anchorman, I’ll have a look to see if I can find an adjuster somewhere and make sure it’s as high as possible without blinding oncomers. Sounds like yet another case of ‘progress’ actually being being ‘regress’ in terms of practicality and function - supposedly better lighting technology actually resulting in being able to see less - not impressed.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:29:37 am »