Author Topic: To swap, or not to swap - that is the question....  (Read 9369 times)

Offline MickyFinn

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2019
To swap, or not to swap - that is the question....
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:55:16 am »
I currently have a 2015 (2WD) CX5 (very pleased!).
But I find myself in a bit of a conundrum, in that in the immediate future I will need to replace  the two Yokohamas (very possibly originals) on the rear axle with other top quality tyres. Currently the two Michelins on the front are in very good condition with more than ample remaining tread.
I have been give two competitive quotes for replacements, but one garage recommends swapping the wheels over so the the new tyres are on the front, whilst the other advises replacing the rears only and leaving the Michelins on the front - as swapping will cause issues with the wheel / tyre sensors.
So, as can be appreciated, I'm at a bit of a loss.
Any suggestions or recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: To swap, or not to swap - that is the question....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:32:24 am »
AFAIK, the original fitments on all CX5'S are Toyo, not Yokohama. I've replaced my Toyo's with Michelin Latitude Sport 3's, they are a definite improvement. Having the AWD version, it's generally accepted that you need to use the same on all four wheels.

As for front or back, I always understood that new ones should go on the rear if the car is front wheel drive. This is because when the rear looses grip on a front wheel drive car it is usually on turn in or mid corner when the driver backs off (puts more weight on the front wheels) - it's basically lift off over-steer; this can happen very very quickly and the car snaps sideways then the only way to save it is to floor the throttle. As the driver has already backed off for a reason is likely to be the last thing he will think to do so the car over-steers off the road, or spins in the face of oncoming traffic. If the front wheels loose grip, it usually running when wide on the exit of the corner. The driver can simply back off the throttle, and they will slowly and predictably regain grip. Someone who used to alley drive told me this about 30 years ago, I've heard this from a few other sources as well. I also believe some tyre fitting companies do this as well?

Alan

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 12:40:04 pm »
I'd think you could swap them around till your heart's content, providing the tyre sensors are reset. I agree the received wisdom is put newest tyres on the rear. If I were you I'd put new ones on the rear, and like Al I recommend the Michelins.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 02:40:35 pm »
AFAIK, the original fitments on all CX5'S are Toyo, not Yokohama.

Could it be a country specific thing I wonder....um. Mine came delivered (here in Germany) with Yokohama Geolander tyres fitted and for the winter set, Hankook.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline MickyFinn

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 02:44:57 pm »
Thanks for your guidance on the matter. I think I will leave the Michelins on the front!
Your comments do actually make a lot of sense.
 By the way, the rears are Yokohama Geolander, and they were the originals! (Just spoken to previous owner!)

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 06:21:12 pm »
According to the tyre guy at my work, one of the reasons for swapping rear tyres to front is that the rears often don't wear as quickly as the fronts, therefore they often age or perish before the tread is worn.  Swapping them to the front rotates them into getting worn.

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 11:30:20 am »
Recommendation from the industry is best tyres on the back for the reasons Al mentions above. Drivers are generally not experienced at controlling oversteer and therefore more likely to loose control of the car if the back end looses grip, whereas with understeer, the control method is closer to human instinct (IE let off the throttle) so generally safer to have best tyres on the back.
The argument for having best tyres on the front is that they wear quicker so you can even off the wear by rotating tyres and get your moneys worth before they perish.

Personally I tend to go with better tyres on the front simply because the front tyres have more to do so need the better grip and gives a wider performance band. The CX5 is generally fairly planted and the centre of gravity is too high to be throwing it into corners too hard anyway as it just throws you around. That being said it has stepped out on me once or twice in the wet but was fairly easy to bring back under control.

All that being said, you shouldn't have brand new tyres on one axel and running near the limit on the other anyway as this can imbalance the car which ever way round it is and also the difference in rolling circumference of the tyre could be enough to upset the ABS, AWD and TPMS systems because the wheels will be turning at different speeds. Ideally tyres should be within 3-4mm of each other at most

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 11:30:20 am »