Author Topic: Help on fuse type please (re dash-cam).  (Read 9216 times)

Offline Lordhenry

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Clear Water Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Help on fuse type please (re dash-cam).
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:44:39 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie awaiting the delivery of my first new Mazda CX-5.

Can anyone give me difinitive information on what type of fuse is fitted in the fuse box situated inside the car at the base of the left a-pillar please.  I'm going to have a front/rear dash-cam fitted prior to collecting the car (Street Guardian SG 9663 DC) and I need to order a hardwire kit so the parking mode function can be used.   I've looked in the on-line CX-5 handbook at the fuse box info page but it doesn't specify what type of fuse is fitted only purpose and rating (just to clarify, I'm talking about type of fuse, not a fuse rating).  I've Googled as well, but to no avail. I want to progress my dashcam order asap but the supplier needs to know the fuse type, so they provide the correct fuse-box termination.  The Mazda dealership will eventually be able to give me the answer of course, but when I phoned up at the weekend, only one person was on the service desk, and couldn't provide a precise answer (the kits they have fitted up to now have a couple of options in the box, so an order didn't need the fuse type info).  Sorry to be impatient and appear in the forum as someone who can't wait !!!  Thank you in advance for any help forthcoming.  :)

As a by-the-way ... I have a Street Guardian in my current car (not a Mazda) and I think it's a brilliant bit of kit. Good quality images and the parking mode is time-lapse, so doesn't need the car to get a big enough wallop to activate a motion detection incident). Customer Support is also second to none; very useful for a pensioner IT numpty like myself !

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Help on fuse type please (re dash-cam).
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 05:14:22 pm »
i have a BlackVue dashcam (front and rear) that also has a parking mode. I used piggy pack micro fuses like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOSHIO-circuit-Adapter-Profile-Harness/dp/B071RT9KD5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1547399564&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+fuse+piggyback to pick up a switched and non switched supply from the fuse box. Used those to power a Power Magic Pro unit which monitors the battery state and can be set to switch the supply off after a preset time or after it detects a drop in battery charge. That has a 12v scocket which you just run the camera plug into. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackVue-Power-Magic-Pro/dp/B008B8ERIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547399508&sr=8-1&keywords=power+magic+pro

Alan

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:04:01 am »
I used a piggy back with a short link to a 12v socket because I wanted to use the supplied socket to the DDPai camera.  They block the interference from the DAB radio.  You mustn’t cross the airbag so the A pillar trim needs to come off. I did a short video........

https://youtu.be/6Y85r6yEhTM
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Lordhenry

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:53:07 pm »
Thank-you BigAl and Anchorman for your quick responses.  I do appreciate your efforts to help, and if I was fitting the Camera myself (and not having the Mazda garage do it, to protect my warranty) I would have found Anchorman's youtube video beyond invaluable.       I've made another 'phone enquiry of my local Mazda dealership and (worringly) still not got a postive answer on the fuse-type used in the internal fuse box (only a  'I'm fairly sure it's ******').  I understand your 'piggy-back' fuse answers, but as I have to order a fuse specific hard-wire kit I will have to await the Mazda UK reply to the query I have sent them.  They were most helpful in taking my query, but it will be forwarded on to the technical bods for the reply.   ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:55:59 pm by Lordhenry »

Offline Lordhenry

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:23:47 pm »
Mazda UK have replied to my fuse type query for the internal fuse panel (I'm pleased with the way they expedited my query).  The fuse type in my new CX-5 will be 'Mini, low profile'.   Thank-you Mazda.  :)

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:23:47 pm »