Author Topic: Speed sign recognition  (Read 10203 times)

Offline 159MO

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Speed sign recognition
« on: March 19, 2019, 03:53:43 pm »
I have had my CX-5 Sport Nav. from new for nearly 2 years. It is a lovely car with, as far as I'm concerned, one annoying niggle which Mazda doesn't seem to acknowledge. The speed sign recognition system immediately picks up all roadside speed signs which is excellent, it doesn't, however, acknowledge the end of speed restricted area sign (The black oblique line on a white background) If I leave, for instance, a speed restricted area the car still thinks it is in it, even though I have passed the end of restriction sign so consequently the overspeed warning comes on. I have raised this point with Mazda several times and they don't see it as a problem. I was even passed on to the technical department in Germany with the same result. Initially Mazda said that it might be a fault with my Nav. equipment but I pointed out that it is their system which has the problem as I have driven several Mazda's which all react the same. Mazda are still telling me this is a problem that only I am worrying about! I always keep my map and Nav. system updated.

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
Re: Speed sign recognition
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 05:45:18 am »
Mine does the same if that makes you feel any better but it also makes frequent errors based on what is stored in the satnav database which is what it uses as base information.  I spend zero nanoseconds worrying about it and treat it as a bit of a back up to me forgetting what speed limit I’m in but never trusting it.   Its about as useless as the auto rain sensing wipers.  The car has more worthwhile and trustworthy systems.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Ron

• Mazda CX-5 2.5 Petrol GT Sport AWD Automatic
  • Colour: Polymetal Grey
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 01:35:22 pm »
If Anchorman made you feel any better, I may do the opposite !

My December 2018 CX-5 with the January SatNav update behaves as it should, recognising up & down speed limit changes - at least here in Devon on A, B, minor roads (although the Dartmoor 40 mph limit confuses it) & the M5.

I agree with Anchorman to some extent that the warnings etc should only supplement personal observation but on the other hand I rely heaviliy on the head up display so the limit & actual speed are always in my line of sight (or just below it) so it would be very distracting if I couldn't rely on the speed limit display most of the time.

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:05:18 pm »
If Anchorman made you feel any better, I may do the opposite !

My December 2018 CX-5 with the January SatNav update behaves as it should, recognising up & down speed limit changes - at least here in Devon on A, B, minor roads (although the Dartmoor 40 mph limit confuses it) & the M5.

I agree with Anchorman to some extent that the warnings etc should only supplement personal observation but on the other hand I rely heaviliy on the head up display so the limit & actual speed are always in my line of sight (or just below it) so it would be very distracting if I couldn't rely on the speed limit display most of the time.

I was travelling through roadworks on the M6 with the 50 MPH average speed cameras utilised, my display was flashing  50 MPH and 70 MPH alternatively.

Offline vbl

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »
Driving on 70 mile road under A and B roads, all side roads mileages picked up and keep on showing for some miles after. And I agree, restricted mileage does not change to actual speed limit for sometime after getting out of restricted area.
Just did 4000 miles in Europe and the car behaved superbly otherwise (well, sat nav is daft but always have my Garmin with me as well)

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 05:44:37 am »
Well, sat nav is daft but always have my Garmin TomTom with me as well
Never a truer word said, it's an absolute piece of junk  >:(

Offline vbl

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 11:10:26 am »
On Friday drove from Dover to Howden in Yorkshire. I left sat nav set for home as I travelled from Croatia and like to keep mileage set, any roadworks info, traffic jams etc. Straight run from M25 onto M11, A14 and A1(M) and M18. At Lincoln turn off sat nav tried to send me down the side road. At Bawtry it tried to do so again. No traffic jams shown and auto reroute was off. Four miles from M18 turn it told me it was 28 miles away.
Good job I did not rely on it to take me across Europe, God knows where I might have ended.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 11:10:26 am »