Author Topic: Blocked sump pump is it the cam shaft?????  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Loul

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Blocked sump pump is it the cam shaft?????
« on: March 28, 2019, 03:50:23 pm »
Hello

My beloved 2013 CX-5 broke down on me this week. It’s the first bother I’ve had with the car having owned in 2.5years.

My mechanic after a bit of messing around discovered the pump from the sump was blocked. The AA guy that came to my rescue said it would be this pump and it was common in these cars.. The cars running fine and was running fine until it had this little blip. After reading this forum I’m now concerned it’s going to be the dreaded cam shaft issue.

My questions are....
I can’t find any posts about the blocked sump pump so now I’m wondering if this is a common problem?
Is it a sign that my cam shaft is prematurely aging?
My car is in the vin numbers of the effected cars. The mechanic said it was blocked with carbon.
As my car is running well now would it be worth changing the cam shaft and then keeping it on a very short service cycle to clean any rubbish out that the cam shaft might have left??
Or do I accept the inevitable that there’s likely to be damage to the turbo and other parts and cut my loses?

I love the car but equally don’t want to have  to pay for a new engine.  :'(

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:43:16 pm by Loul »

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Blocked sump pump is it the cam shaft?????
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:53:15 am »
You might be better giving Mazda a call.  If you can demonstrate a good service history, they may contribute to the costs.  If not, get your mechanic to examine the cam for damage.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:29:47 am »
Agree worth speaking to Mazda, even if all seems okay for a while it might be helpful to have a record at this stage that you've informed them, asked their advice, noting the car is in the dreaded VIN range, and given them the opportunity to examine it or not (at their expense).

Offline Loul

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:48:48 pm »
Went in to my closest Mazda garage on my way home from work. They said the sump pump being blocked is a known fault with excess carbon coming from somewhere and then dropping into the sump causing the blockage. They said they’d fix it for free  :D
I then said I know my car is in the range for the cam shaft and my head can’t handle the possibility it’s gonna blow up on me. Again he said it’s a known problem Mazda will pay if it does go and when it goes in to have this carbon thing sorted they’ll check my cam shaft.
I then said I’m convinced my turbo is going because it’s sounding a little noisy and with the cam shaft.... he said again there’s another known fault with the turbo and a little flap that held on with a rivet breaks. They’re gonna check and fix that too if it’s broken.
 ;D ;D ;D

Huge sigh of relief. I don’t care I’ve got the original pump replacement bill to pay to the none Mazda garage  (Mazda would have done it for free apparently) I get to keep my car and I can stop mourning it’s loss!

Offline PeterUK

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 11:51:17 am »
Loul, how many miles was on the clock when car became "sick"? I'm surprised Mazda offering all this free repair on a 6yr old car.

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 06:54:45 pm »
I think that there is a good chance that the camshaft has gone as all the swarf in the oil can block oilways and knock out the turbo. I am also still on the original camshaft and have asked Mazda a few times if I could have the camshaft changed so that it didn’t do any damage and I could forget about it, but the were adamant that Mazda would only pay if it’d gone. So I am still waiting for it to go but I have the Mazda extended warranty so hopefully would be covered.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 06:54:45 pm »