Author Topic: Replacing the org. head unit with 3rd party  (Read 7282 times)

Offline cwitt

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2012
Replacing the org. head unit with 3rd party
« on: May 09, 2019, 02:54:19 pm »
    Hi,

I am the (sad) owner of a CX-5 from 2012 (the very first model that came out) and unfortunately Mazda's recent Apple Carplay Upgrade Kit does not support my infotainment system :-(

I am therefore looking for alternatives from Pioneer or Alpine.

Has any of you succeeded in installing this (or perhaps others top brands)?

I live in Denmark and have the top car named "Optimum" with Bose sound system (topmodel in DK with 2.0 petrol engine, automatic, AWD).

I need these things to work even after the upgrade:

- stearing wheels controls (all)
    - infodisplay
    - all Bose speakers incl. subwoofer
    - Rear view camera
    - Navigator wheel[/li]

Thanks in advance :-)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:56:13 pm by cwitt »
Carsten Witt

Offline rmvf

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
Re: Replacing the org. head unit with 3rd party
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 09:57:55 pm »
Petrol AWD auto.? I wish they would have sold that spec in UK  back in 2012. I know someone on hear upgraded the info system i would use search function. Can remember them posted pics
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:20:14 am »
I've got a 2014 CX-5 that had the same NB1 system as yours beforehand, which I changed last year for a Sony XAV-AX100 that has CarPlay and Android Auto - it's brilliant and a great replacement for the rubbish original head unit.

Here's the original post from when I installed it http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=337.msg5864#msg5864

It took a bit of work as the only double-din adapter available here in the UK was not very well designed and mounted the stereo 'flat' against the dash which looked awful and didn't make using the head unit very easy either, so I modified it so the head unit would sit at an angle like it should.
Apart from that, I needed adapters for the wiring, camera, steering wheel controls and antenna. It's not worth trying to get the built-in USB ports working as they didn't work for me, I just ran a USB extension cable to the armrest.
Also, I wasn't able to find anything that could interpret the signals from the commander wheel and send them to a head unit so mine now sits unused.

Good luck!
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:20:14 am »