Technical Section > Maintenance

Low Oil Pressure?

(1/2) > >>

Biggles777:
Does anyone know of any correlation between low oil pressure warning and overdue oil change mileage reset?

Got an oil pressure warning on a journey, checked the oil level which was OK but was due for a service and as it was its first year out of warranty a local garage who I always use did the service including a flush and DPF regen. All was well for a week when I got another LOP warning. Took it back to the garage who said they found some metal fragments in the sump. I phoned the dealership who advised not to drive it so I had the AA take the car directly to them. They advised the diagnostics would cost me £250 so I agreed the go ahead. Same day they told me that they could not find anything wrong but had changed the oil. 8 months on more LOP warnings. Took it to the dealership explaining that they had found nothing wrong on the previous visit. A phone call later in the day to say the fault was that the garage who did the service forgot to reset the oil change counter which they have now reset and replaced the oil and oil filter and relieved me of a further £199. When asked why they didn't find this during their previous diagnostics they had no reasonable reason.

Car has only done 40K. I cannot understand what the connection would be between low oil pressure and the oil change counter, I am fearful of another LOP warning looming!

ROCKETRON:
I don’t know how they found fragments of metal in the sump unless he looked through the oil he drained out, why? If the car has had lots of aborted regens then the extra diesel in the sump can cause low oil pressure but if there is swarf in the sump then the most likely problem is camshaft failure, yours is probably just in the vin range to be susceptible.

Anchorman:
I get weary of repeating that if the oil is changed, the oil data MUST be reset.  The engine measures viscosity and if the oil is changed without a reset it can’t make the right comparisons.  This is NOT a matter of playing with the trip computer, the test wire under the bonnet needs to be earthed at the time of changing the oil.

Biggles777:
Hi Anchorman,

Sorry that you are weary of repeating yourself. I am a newbie to the forum so not aware of previous history.

Interesting that the reset has to be performed by the grounding wire, I will bear that in mind. Having a curious mind I would be interested finding out the technology in the engine of measuring the viscosity. Having said that, the oil was new so interesting it could only be a conflict of data, i.e. new oil and excessive trip mileage.

This doesn't exonerate the dealer for not resetting the oil data after they replaced the oil and filter and performed an engine flush.

Anchorman:
I’ll find a detailed explanation soon but for now, here is the reset procedure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version