Technical Section > Vehicle Electrics

1st generation (2013) tailgate won't open when pressing the button

(1/1)

Poshdave:
I can't open my tailgate, well it does sometimes open (pressing the button under the number plate- my older cx-5 doesn't have the self opening type). I've ordered a new switch, hopefully that's all it is - are they straightforward to change over..?

RAB2000:
Hi

Rather than start a new topic, I've got the same issue on our 2012 CX-5.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar and resolved by replacing either the button or the actuator or both.  I was going to take it to the dealership but it doesn't look that difficult to replace the parts but worried I'll try new parts and it'll still not work.

Was also wondering how the car knows the key is nearby, presumably that's a separate sensor that doesn't come into play with the button or actuator replacement.  Although then I wonder whether that the key sensor at the back is not working.

Not posted on here for quite some time but had our Petrol CX-5 Sport Nav from I think June 2016 and it's been great.  Only problem has been the passenger side door mirror stopping working due to the plastic worm gear inside breaking - fixed by stripping it down and taking part out and living with manual folding/

Thanks

Many thanks!

RAB2000:
Following on from my post above.

The boot did open again suggesting an intermittent fault.  I've yet to investigate in any detail but now realise the boot has two switches on it, the usual one (centre) that actually opens the boot and then one slightly to the right that I think can be used to lock the car to save walking round to one of the side doors I assume.  I initially thought that may have been the issue all along and had someone permanently locked the book but unfortunately not and currently the boot is not opening again!

I did but a used switch off Ebay but that looks to now be the locking switch to the right rather than the main central one that seems to be less available.

I plan to dismantle this weekend and take a look.  There's a possibility of poor connections here that might explain the temporary re-opening!  Will try and report back once I know more.

RAB2000:
Hi

Another update to my tailgate issues.

So I did try swapping over the tailgate latch mechanism (ebay used for £25) and the external central locking switch (ebay used £15) on the tailgate to the right of the normal boot switch. Neither was successful.  The one obvious part being the actual switch itself but seemed to very few of them around when I looked (possibly one in France for £80).

At that point I started to wonder if it was another problem, for example not detecting the key or some connection issue.  I was resigned to taking it to a Mazda dealership but in the end I tried an auto electrician.  He came to me and had a look and quickly demonstrated that it was the obvious part, being the boot opening switch itself.  He was able to close the circuit and the boot opening actioned.  The switch itself was clearly water damaged and he did try a temporary repair but it was too far gone so we left it that.  To be fair he charged £70 call out (SW London) and £20 for the work/inspection but I'd already stripped the tailgate to be fair.  Even so relatively reasonable.

After that I took another look and found the part on ebay for £35 and got that through and all back up and running.  I did add some tape to the switch inside the tailgate in an attempt to protect from any water ingress.

I don't know how much the part would be from Mazda but wouldn't be surprised if it was £100 for what is a basic part really.  I did see a bunch of what must have been Chinese pattern parts on Aliexpress for around £20 but didn't fancy trying that route.

Anyway, hopefully useful info for somebody and probably best to start with the obvious part after all if you can find one!  The tailgate trim was all reasonably easy to dismantle and put back together although I did need to buy a couple of trim clips that had broken.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version