Author Topic: Fuel consumption  (Read 269880 times)

Offline aljshep

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2017
Re: Fuel consumption
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2018, 09:34:47 pm »
I check my fuel consumption every 700 miles or so dividing distance travelled by diesel used.

Our 2015 model CX-5 (175hp diesel auto with AWD) averaged about 39 mpg over three years with a best figure of 44 mpg.  We try to avoid too many short trips.

However its replacement, a late 2017 car with the same spec, has just done 2000 miles averaging 44 mpg.  It topped 46 mpg on one leg and managed a true 50 mpg over a 100 mile trip in the Scottish Highlands.

I understand that a higher ambient temperature helps but WHY is the new model so much better?  Has anything changed?

In comparison, our '65 reg Mazda 6 tourer, similar, but without AWD, has averaged 45.5 mpg over its life with a best figure of 51 mpg.  It topped 60 mpg over 80 miles on the M61/M62 once, when traffic/roadworks kept speeds between 50 and 60 mph.

Offline ABZJock

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2018, 11:04:51 pm »
Six months since we bought it new . Today finally managed a good long run with the cx5 AWD sport nav. Aberdeen to Lairg and back. There was a bit of extra driving around Lairg, so around 310 miles return journey.
Cx5 performed brilliantly. Very comfortable. The A96 from Aberdeen- Inverness can be a sod of a drive, but the car got a good blow out with bursts of overtaking acceleration while getting past the Sunday driving fraternity and got 48.5mpg. Very happy with that as its been returning 38mpg from the 45min commute in to Aberdeen city centre five days a week, so was itching to find how much on a long drive.

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2018, 10:51:54 pm »
Zero the trip computer after each fill up and check it by calculation. The trip computer works with a moving average that will reflect your most recent driving. It can be misleading.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2018, 10:49:10 am »
Having driven 3 x 2.0 Litre 6 speed MX-5's my average was between 45-49MPG on intermediate and long runs which to me wasn't bad at all especially when some MX5 members were getting 29 MPG or ion most cases 35-40MPG which to me is down to individual driver foot control on the accelerator.

With the Mazda 3Coupe 2.2 Skyactiv Diesel i could achieve well into the 70MPG mark on a long run whereas most drivers seem to be hard pushed to get into the 50's and this was borne out when I refilled the fuel tank.

The 3 CX-5's I have driven to date I can, according to the computer readouts achieve anywhere between 52 to 66.2 MPG and again this is borne out by the refills of the fuel tank in which deducting around 3MPG from the indicated to actual used fuel figure means that I am getting really good MPG even from half a barn door going through the air.

My style of driving has been honed through years of motoring and regular testing when employed by the Police, my conclusion is that most drivers nowadays are accelerating close to the manufacturers 0 to 60 times, continue to keep their foot on the accelerator when up to cruising speed  which will normally be in excess of the posted limit and push it down a bit further when going up hill to maintain momentum and/or when overtaking all of which will consume more fuel. When approaching traffic lights they keep the speed up and knock it off last second through heavy braking and then have to wait idling the engine until the lights go green before taking off as though in a F1 Grand Prix until they hit the next set, and so on and so forth.

I have done all the above when in my youth and especially when in Hillclimb and speed events all over the country in my much modified Sunbeam Imp Sport ( laugh as you may she was able to beat many bigger engined cars on a number of circuits and Hills timewise :) :)

Driving HGV1 Artic's has shown me that nowadays you gain little in the way of time going anywhere in the UK and have lost count of the number of cars that hammer past me on Motorways at least 5 times on some of the longer journeys I make in the order of 200+ miles each way at a mind blowing 56MPH.
Having spoken to a number of Transport Managers, all informed me that when HGV's were first limited to 56MPH  the journey times from Birmingham to Southampton by a speed limited vehicle were 10 minutes extra, the saving was made on fuel at 1 gallon each way saved per vehicle and at 100 vehicles a day that was a big saving over the year.

Anyway my point for blathering on, accelerate smoothly not quickly, look ahead to see what traffic is doing and bring speed down slowly without coming to a grinding halt, anticipate what inclines are before you and gain momentum going down without overdoing the accelerator and then let your foot slowly off the accelerator going up with the rub off of speed down a few MPH allowing you to get over the rise. Do these few things and watch your fuel go further. The gauge in the CX-5 is show MPG is something that I thought I'd never use ..How wrong was I as it's a competition to see how far over to the right I can keep it for the longest time.

Offline Prototype

• All my cars are Rotories except the Wife's
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2018, 10:21:33 pm »
My old 2014 CX5 Sport Nav Petrol used to average 37-39 Mpg round town and 43-48Mpg on a run. I am use to driving rotaries so I have a heavy right foot  ;D

Have any of you used this website? http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5

I keep track of my RX8 MPG and cry every time I update my mileage lol :)

Admin Note :  Please read this   http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=64.0. Specifically post dated 29/9/2015  Thanks :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:18:37 am by Willpower »

Offline Dave

• IT challenged.
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2019, 11:42:44 am »
I've had three CX5s, and on every one have averaged 55 to 60 MPG.

My latest model is the first I've towed with,  I recently went up to the lakes, and was pleased with the towing figures, just over 30 MPG with the van on the back.

For this I switched to BP Ultimate diesel, but have noticed an improvement on MPG driving without the van, about 4 MPG better.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:45:31 am by Dave »

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #216 on: May 14, 2019, 04:55:13 pm »
are all CX5 engines the same?
Driving fairly hard I reckon my true average over 12,000 miles is no more than 35 mpg.
I have just been out on a fairly short run and noticed that my consumption seemed very low.
On a flat road at 30 mph in 4th gear I was only seeing 32 mpg.Figures
Normally I would expect to see over 50 mpg at that speed.
Any explanations?
figures I gave were indicated current values.
I have since given it a serious blast - not so difficult when the TT course is nearby.
At the same conditions the reading was 63 mpg.
I don't know how it works for people who always drive for economy.
Unfortunately we cannot get premium diesel here, so I am going to have to invest in some additives.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:06:21 pm by MikeTB »

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2019, 08:11:53 am »
If you are going off the trip computer, don’t be misled by it. Do tank to tank calculations for accurate results.  The trip computer needs resetting at every fill up and it will be drastically effected if a regen takes place.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Mary Hinge

• s**t happens
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2019, 05:47:17 am »
Maybe it's just me but I just can't get my head around folks obsession with the mpg of a car that they already own. Once you've chosen and then bought the thing there's no getting round the fact that if you want/need to use it you'll have to put fuel in it. Surely by that stage whatever mpg it achieves is irrelevant other than if/when a fault occurs and the on-board average mpg is plenty accurate enough to tell you that  ???
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:54:32 am by Mary Hinge »

Offline Trooper

• Year: 2016
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2019, 06:54:04 pm »
Most I have had from my 2.2 AWD 175 auto is 34 mpg out on the motorway at a steady 70. But that only drops to 33 around town, being as aerodynamic as a brick I suppose that's not too bad

Offline Helijock

• Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2019, 07:50:41 pm »
I have had my 14 plate  175 Nav Sport for just over one year. During that time I used supermarket fuel and my Fully app gave my yearly average as 36 mpg. I then used BP standard diesel and used Redex for two refuels to clean the injectors. I have had a further three refuel since using the addatives and my average is up to 41 mpg. Over the next two months I have a number of long distance runs to make so it will be interesting to see how the mpg progresses.

Offline ARnovice

• Year: 2019
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2019, 12:08:54 pm »
Petrol 2.0 here.

So far fueled once and onboard computer shows average 39.2 for this trip (approximately 50/50 split of short town trips and motorway runs to the airport. Getting close to 1.4 of a tank left, so second fueling is soon-ish and I will calculate the real mpg then.

Would be interesting to know how good or bad it is. My previous car was always an optimistic one showing around 64mpg while in reality it was 51-52.

Offline dunhill1984

• Colour: Snowflake White
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05:51 pm »
2.0 petrol auto i am getting 30.4 mpg according to trip computer, i do a bit of overtaking on country road commute 6 miles each way and drive a bit fast...so thats should be the worst of it.
living a stress free life near dona nook (nth somercotes) bombing range on lincs coast

steve101

« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2019, 09:47:00 am »
The satnav mph display is usually around 5% less than the car mph display. Given that the car works out average fuel consumption using the distance covered/gallons used, if the distance covered figure is out by 5% does that mean that the average calculated is also out by 5%?
Has anyone compared the cars odometer/milometer to the figure on a satnav?
I'll have a go next time I travel any distance in my CX5.

Offline ARnovice

• Year: 2019
« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:49 am »
proper fuelling and calculation:

Trip computer showed 38.4 mpg
manual calculations gave me 38.6 mpg

Out of 460 miles half was done in the town and half on motorways.

P.S. My previous car being smaller had bigger fuel tank  ;D

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:49 am »