Technical Section > Maintenance

Engine oil brands

(1/4) > >>

Deeps:
If others, like me, carry a 1 litre bottle of spare engine oil in the boot or have some in the garage, can I ask what brand and grade you are using? In fact, if the CX-5 has ever had an oil change at the dealers/workshop, what brand/grade of oil have they put in; if you know of course that is.

A short while back now I ordered a litre bottle of Mazda's own branded oil - well it's branded Mazda but what brand is behind that is anyone's guess. I've noticed that my dealer doesn't in fact stock Mazda branded oil and does it really make a difference at the end of the day.

xtrailman:
My local dealer who is authorised to service but not sell now, used DPF DEXELIA oil.

I imagine as they are still Ford dealers that the Kuga gets the same.
I believe the main thing is to use low ash oil.

BigAl:
Can't remember the last time I carried spare oil around with me. Just a thought - perhaps anyone with the known issue of oil level increasing should bottle the excess and sell it back to Mazda...

Alan.

Deeps:

--- Quote from: BigAl on November 22, 2015, 07:53:42 pm ---Just a thought - perhaps anyone with the known issue of oil level increasing should bottle the excess and sell it back to Mazda

--- End quote ---

I'm very much touching wood here but it might just be the case that Mazda have now got the handle on this increasing oil level problem with the upgrade model. Being pretty much nervous regarding this issue it was touch and go as to whether I'd go the CX-5 route but with Mazda being the only SUV dealer within comfortable travelling distance of me I ended up taking the chance. On first taking delivery the level was smack on the maximum mark and now, during the running-in period, the level is slowly dropping with oil actually being used which is common with brand new engines. So if this pattern carries on I'll have no excess oil to sell back to Mazda. As said though - touch wood and fingers crossed.  ;D

xtrailman:
My car has oil level over the max to start with on collection new.

In fact after two services with the last car on both occasions the level was too high and I had to return the car to have about a cup full removed. It really isn't hard to fill correctly, I used to carry out my own oil changes 45 years ago.

Having read your post of oil usage maybe I should just leave it?
On 2 occasions the oil was changed by the local GK garage, new car was delivered via another GK garage, both are now Perry's.

So I'm not sure if Perry's data base holds the incorrect oil capacities, or if the mechanic just doesn't bother to check levels?
I did check the oil level before I drove home when I collected the new car Wednesday, but because the oil was so clear I couldn't determine the level, but I could see it had sufficient.

Last Xtrail I had the oil level was below the full level after a service, but from a Sheffield dealer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version