Author Topic: New model CX 5 for 2017  (Read 51119 times)

Offline Drivell

• Been there, tried to do a lot of it!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
Re: New model CX 5 for 2017
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 11:00:51 am »
Mmm think I'm with Deeps on this one,  not really a fan of the screen sitting on dash, now if it was retractable that would be cool, had a taste with 2014 mazda3,

Yup me too they really look like an after thought sat on the dash.  At least it has two cup holders!!

Offline rmvf

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:43:30 am »
Really liking the front look, a bit like the jag suv, but I guess half the price. I wish I'd held back now but hey, motorists in the UK are really spoilt for choice
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 01:36:03 pm »
Its now on the Mazda UK website...
https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/all-new-mazda-cx-5/

Alan

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »
Looks as though they've gone back to the honeycombed grill which, along with the info screen that appears to be an afterthought although seemingly popular across several makes, I'm not too keen on.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline twabrigs

• Year: 2013
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:21 am »
Pity the petrol is still only 2.0 and no AWD, given the way things are heading with diesel vehicles in the UK.

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 12:41:52 pm »
I dont think diesels will die on suv's and big luxury cars as that extra low down torque is essential to give a good throttle response on  large unaerodynamic vehicles. Where diesels will disappear iss on the smaller runabout type cars and they will probably get small turbocharged petrol engines until electric is more usable and practical. Although the headlines keep talking about charging to drive your diesel in cities there has been no talk of charging for newer cleaner diesels to enter cities only older dirty ones, so i think people will still buy new larger diesels for a while yet.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 01:57:22 pm »
I think I agree with that, although the other thing making me think twice about diesels is the dread DPF issue for diesels generally, and the 'supposedly fixed' rising oil nonsense specifically with Mazda.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 10:56:10 pm »
The method of burning of particulates is the same for all makes of cars so the method of injecting diesel on the exhaust stroke does work well. The problem for all cars comes from doing short runs and continually stopping before the process has completed leading to oil dilution. There are a few cars though that inject the diesel straight into the exhaust manifold so it doesn't dilute the oil but it obviously needs an extra injector and control equipment so it's more expensive. So the thing is you have to do plenty of long runs to run a modern diesel and then it should be ok.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 09:43:29 am »
Bumped into the salesman who I dealt with on buying the CX-5 whilst fueling up yesterday. He was eager to hand me an advertising newspaper which consisted of all the latest reviews of the new model. In fairness, all reviews are positive but that's hardly surprising really as the newer model is essentially a makeover of the current version with less hard plastic, better quality leather for the top of the range and a few other bits and bobs.
The nitty gritty i.e. engine variants, transmission and gearbox remain the same which surprises me somewhat as I would have thought that Mazda would have gone along the AdBlue route with this latest creation and not stuck to the present method which result in emissions that some might say are questionable and not to mention the ongoing diesel in the oil pan.
The 'A' post is slightly more raked along with a lower roof line which results in giving a longer bonnet line but from what I observe from various images is that they still haven't placed any sensors closer to the corners of the vehicle which along with the limited view offered by the front and rear pillars I find particularly disappointing.
I shall pop into the dealer next week sometime as that is when it's due in the showroom here in southern Germany and give it a closer inspection. In all probability I won't be giving it a test drive as with the same engine/gearbox offerings there won't be a lot to be gained imho. And no, I won't be buying it as I've barely run-in my present CX-5 and although a couple of the upgrades are nice e.g. the better arm rest design, there's simply not enough to justify the costs of trading in. 
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 11:57:49 am »
The brochure is on the Mazda website if anyone fancies a look.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 02:21:03 pm »
Bumped into the salesman who I dealt with on buying the CX-5 whilst fueling up yesterday. He was eager to hand me an advertising newspaper which consisted of all the latest reviews of the new model. In fairness, all reviews are positive but that's hardly surprising really as the newer model is essentially a makeover of the current version with less hard plastic, better quality leather for the top of the range and a few other bits and bobs.
The nitty gritty i.e. engine variants, transmission and gearbox remain the same which surprises me somewhat as I would have thought that Mazda would have gone along the AdBlue route with this latest creation and not stuck to the present method which result in emissions that some might say are questionable and not to mention the ongoing diesel in the oil pan.
The 'A' post is slightly more raked along with a lower roof line which results in giving a longer bonnet line but from what I observe from various images is that they still haven't placed any sensors closer to the corners of the vehicle which along with the limited view offered by the front and rear pillars I find particularly disappointing.
I shall pop into the dealer next week sometime as that is when it's due in the showroom here in southern Germany and give it a closer inspection. In all probability I won't be giving it a test drive as with the same engine/gearbox offerings there won't be a lot to be gained imho. And no, I won't be buying it as I've barely run-in my present CX-5 and although a couple of the upgrades are nice e.g. the better arm rest design, there's simply not enough to justify the costs of trading in.
Just a technical note the ad blue route is used to reduce NOx but the skyactiv engine apparently doesn't need it to meet the spec. It has nothing to do with burning off particulate in the DPF by injecting diesel on the exhaust stroke and all manufacturers do this. Some though inject the diesel straight into the exhaust manifold using a separate injector in the exhaust and so obviously this would not result in dilution of oil in the sump but it requires a separate injector and control equipment so is a lot more expensive but in my view would stop people worrying about oil dilution.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:23 pm »

Just a technical note the ad blue route is used to reduce NOx but the skyactiv engine apparently doesn't need it to meet the spec. ........Some though inject the diesel straight into the exhaust manifold using a separate injector in the exhaust and so obviously this would not result in dilution of oil in the sump but it requires a separate injector and control equipment so is a lot more expensive but in my view would stop people worrying about oil dilution.
[/quote]

Well maybe not JUST the worry of oil dilution. They are going to introduce a diesel ban in the capital city of my home State in 2018 for diesels not meeting the Euro6 standard and even then there is talk of reassessing even these to see whether or not they meet the standard in everyday driving. Along with that, some States countrywide are pressing for the introduction of the Blue sticker. That said, manufacturers are at this moment, under pressure from State governments, assessing whether it is possible to make modifications - even going above simple software updates in the case of some vehicles - to bring them into line with the Euro 6 standard in order to make this diesel ban unnecessary. We are talking about several million vehicles here with pressure being placed upon manufacturers to make these modifications at their own expense. We'll see.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 01:02:43 pm »
Having had a read through of the info on the new model, one thing I found disappointing was the range of colours available. I've had a zeal red and a soul red: if I had another it probably wouldn't be red and the other choices aren't that inspiring. Or is it just me... :-\

Alan

Offline Deeps

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 03:42:43 pm »
As mentioned in another thread, today (Friday) presented the first viewing of the 2017 version of the CX5 in our showrooms.

First impressions - somewhat mixed really with a few nice features being either added or modified whilst other modifications such as the relocated MZD don't impress me personally.

From the front the car looks really attractive with a lot of the design being adopted from other Mazda models. The additional chrome around the rear quarter windows look nice but are not something that I would willingly pay extra for.

The interior has had a bit of a makeover with at long last an arm rest being installed that is usable by the driver. With the current model I find it located far too much to the rear. Additionally, there is a useful little tray in which to place the Smartphone and charging facility.

I do like the reshaped fuel lid which also feels a lot more solid when rapped with the knuckles. The current model lid has always given me the impression that it was constructed from old bake bean cans lol.

And look what is revealed when one pops the lid. The salesperson really couldn't offer an explanation for the blanking plug to the right of the fuelling cap and I wonder if perhaps Mazda have it in there minds to introduce an AdBlue tank for subsequent updates to the model. An alternative view of course is that in some markets an AdBlue tank is already fitted.

Whilst on the subject of fuel caps, I also like the relocated fuel cap release which is now situated next to the bonnet release and not on the floor.

I almost missed the updated wing mirrors and whilst the overall shape remains visually to be the same, one is hard pushed to notice the indicator repeaters that are nicely slotted in between the upper white part of the mirror and the lower black section. In fact, on the adjoining car which was a grey colour the transition was even harder to make out.

It should be noted that the advertised HUD (Head Up Display) is somewhat confusing. On the standard and middle version of the vehicle it is a small pop-up window that appears on top of the dash in front of the driver. For the truly HUD feeling one has to invest in the top of the range model. I only got to see this on a demonstrator that was undergoing having transfers and the like being affixed in the underground garage and so it was far too dark to take reasonable pictures with my Smartphone. However, for those, like me, who perhaps have never experienced the HUD feature it really is quite unusual. I fully expected the cars reading to appear on the windscreen directly in front of me which in reality it does of course. That said, the projection is such that one has the feeling of reading numerals that are located some way in the distance and are part of another car. It's a bit like reading another vehicles number plate that is in front of you when waiting at the traffic lights. Strange indeed.

Summary. There's not enough here to make me want to rush out to the bank and draw out a heap of money to replace my current late 2015 model. That said, with a price increase of only approx three hundred Euro's over the past two years, it certainly does awake ones interest.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 04:01:00 pm »
Thanks for the 'heads up' Deeps.!

Mazda CX-5 Forums