Author Topic: Car locking/unlocking problem  (Read 14266 times)

Offline vbl

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
Car locking/unlocking problem
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:18:10 am »
My 14-months old CX5 developed odd problem last week. Returning to the car, I pressed door handle button on driver's side door without opening it, opened back door, placed my handbag and shopping on the back seat, closed door - and found myself locked out of the car. Door handles on both sides did not make beeping noise when pressed and the car appeared "dead". As my mobile was also in my handbag I had to wait for hubby to return to the car to call local dealership to ask if they had any idea as to why would the car lock when the key is in the car. Baffled as they were, they were also unable to advise re anything other than getting the spare key (30 miles away) or calling Mazda rescue. This was done - process which caused damage and paint scrape to the door, but that is another story.
Following day car was examined by dealership where I was told that Mazda UK technical bods said "As women carry keys and mobile phones in the bags they sometime interfere with signal and cause this sort of problems" I have never heard such a lot of rubbish; I have had remote control locking vehicles for ever, have always carried my keys, phone and myriad other junk in my bag but never been locked out of or in the car. This car is 14 months old and until last week has never given me any problems nor has it ever been used by anyone other than me. I never carry my keys in one pocket, phone in another pocket, change in a third and so on...women on the whole don't do that but use handbags.
Today I went to the car, unlocked driver's door without opening it, opened back door, placed my bag with keys on the back seat without closing back door and immediately heard two beeps signaling locking of the doors. Even with the back door open, front door was locked as were other two doors and boot door. At the end of my designated journey, I parked the car, walked away and heard two beeps of car locking. On my return some 40 minutes later I found all the doors unlocked and wing mirrors opened.
Added issue is that something is also happening to the bluetooth and radio connections. Phone is connected but is unable to make calls but can receive them and USB connection activates itself randomly.
As I am off to Europe next week for two months covering about 5000 miles and staying in various - not always secure - locations, this is causing me serious concerns. I could just about take it on chin to call rescue to unlock the car if I am locked out but to find car emptied of everything after overnight parking, is a terrifying prospect.
And only 4 working days before I leave does not help.

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: Car locking/unlocking problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:19:36 am »
Not a solution to your problem per-se, but I'm pretty sure opening the drivers door is supposed to stop the auto re-locking sequence.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:19:22 am »

I would agree. Perhaps opening the drivers door instead of just pressing the button ? ?

Offline vbl

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:41:53 am »
Never had to do it before. A woman traveling alone is not advised to stand around, especially in strange places and sometimes at night, with both doors open. Also, the car locked itself even when doors were open

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:00:28 am »
Maybe disable the auto lock until you know it's been fixed?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:05:21 am »
I don't think this is the problem but you're not carrying your spare key anywhere are you? When I had my first CX5, I came from a Subaru that had remote locking with a standard key, so keyless and remote locking was new to me. So I put the spare key in my briefcase as I always had. Started having issues with the car not locking at all; took it to dealers, they were mystified as well. Eventually worked out myself that the problem only occurred if my briefcase was left in the car... The presence of the spare key inside was causing the problem.

Alan

Offline vbl

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:34:18 pm »
Disabling auto lock seems a good idea.
I don't carry spare key when in UK (obviously when I am off to Europe I have it with me but then the keys are separated - just in case!!)
I had a very strange conversation with a very nice customer service person at Mazda head office; she tried to convince me that after my call, five of the ladies in the office went to their cars and replicated my actions, i.e. put their handbags with keys and mobile phones into the car and then closed the doors. ALL the cars locked themselves with the keys inside!!! Amazing that it would happen to all of them just when I called to say there is something wrong with the computerised locking system!
Radio interference may cause issue once or twice but not to all the female drivers all of the times. That is called "thinking on your feet to get out of responsibility" Will have to have it seen to in June when back in UK

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:34:18 pm »