Author Topic: Boot floor and spare wheel  (Read 14007 times)

Offline MuddyPaws

• I ASPIRE TO BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I AM
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Boot floor and spare wheel
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:36:29 pm »
My 2014 cx5 was bought second hand with no spare wheel, just the inflation kit. There are lots of ways of getting a spacesaver spare off the internet but hardly any to get the foam surround for the wheel.

Question: Can I install just a spacesaver wheel in my boot after removing the existing foam or is the wheel-surround foam an integral requirement to support the boot floor? And can I use the same boot floor or is a different floor required with a space saver wheel?

Perhaps some kind person here can take the surrounding foam from around their space saver and tell me if the boot floor is still solid.

Thank you

Offline hovis

• it's wet again
  • Body: SUV
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Boot floor and spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:06:06 pm »
Hi Muddypaws.

Just done as you suggested, my floor has a hard plastic backing and is supported ok at the sides and by the spare wheel, only problem I see would be that the spare might move about if no clamp fitted, the foam also has cut out space for the jack and other tools, which would otherwise move about. I got my inserts from Arnold Clark parts dist in Glasgow was about £50.00 with vat for both parts. Pretty sure you could order them from your local Mazda dealer as Clarks ordered them from Mazda.
Hope this is some help.

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:04 am »
I just bought and fitted a wheel which came with the foam surround and new floor. The surround is useful but I haven't bothered fitting the floor; it appears to only differ from the standard floor by a couple of foam blocks in different places, and I couldn't face the hassle of detaching it from the carpet behind the rear seat.

I'd have thought if you were handy you'd be able to cobble somethiing together from your exisitng foam underfloor and a trip to B&Q.

Offline MuddyPaws

• I ASPIRE TO BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I AM
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
Thank you Hovis and Twabrigs you’ve been really helpful. It’s given me confidence to go ahead and get a wheel and I’ll also check my dealer for the price of the foam inserts.

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:32:38 am »
I would recommend having something to keep the wheel down, on most cars there is a big screw or wing nut type device to hold the wheel in place. In the event of an accident you do not want the wheel flying around the cabin!

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 11:54:35 am »
agreed, you definitely want it bolted in whatever you do about the foam and the floor

Offline twabrigs

Offline andyb_ie

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:42:59 pm »
I went to my Mazda parts and they just ordered the foam surrounds. Delivered in 3 days. Cost eru65 incl all delivery and taxes
I was just using the same boot mat, but ordered the surrounds later. Mazda also suggest a new boot mat, but the original with the car (for the inflation kit) worked just fine

My 2014 cx5 was bought second hand with no spare wheel, just the inflation kit. There are lots of ways of getting a spacesaver spare off the internet but hardly any to get the foam surround for the wheel.

Question: Can I install just a spacesaver wheel in my boot after removing the existing foam or is the wheel-surround foam an integral requirement to support the boot floor? And can I use the same boot floor or is a different floor required with a space saver wheel?

Perhaps some kind person here can take the surrounding foam from around their space saver and tell me if the boot floor is still solid.

Thank you

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:42:59 pm »