Author Topic: Recall - Diesel Engine Concerns  (Read 36347 times)

Offline makitamark

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Re: Recall - Diesel Engine Concerns
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 05:40:12 pm »
Ok, so mine’s booked in at the local dealer on Monday, they asked for it for the full day, so as they can fit it around other work apparently.
I’m hoping that one of these ‘fixes’ resolves the horrible hesitating on light/no throttle, we will see.
Can i ask; one of these fixes is meant to stop a fault developing with the fuel injectors, what ‘fault’ could such a mechanical device develop, and what are the symptoms if this ‘fault’ has already taken place?

Offline Topper

• Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 07:59:52 am »
Hi all
I have just received the same recall letter in the post last night. My concern is I had my CX 5 re-mapped back in April to 215ps and now I am thinking is this re-call going to put it back to the 150ps it was originally?

poosticks :-\ :-\

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 10:52:08 am »
Any form of remapping will give Mazda an excuse to say the warranty has been invalidated. I may be stating the obvious, but you need to remove the box before taking it in.

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 01:51:16 pm »
I've also just had the recall.  When I booked it in they checked and said it just needed the software upgrade. 

Would I be right in thinking that depending on the model year, the recall work may vary as to what is involved?

Offline makitamark

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 04:13:27 pm »
Any form of remapping will give Mazda an excuse to say the warranty has been invalidated. I may be stating the obvious, but you need to remove the box before taking it in.

I understand what you’re saying, but these are not Warranty repairs, it’s specifically a ‘Safety Recall’ I don’t see how they could refuse to carry them  out simply citing ‘modifications that have been carried out by the owner’ (most of us will have carrried out some ‘upgrades’)

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 04:38:01 pm »
I can't vouch for it directly, of course. Mine have always been company cars so I wouldn't have been in a position to modify them. My son did have to remove a re-mapping on his Scirocco before it went in for an official update; he was warned in advance about it.

I had some correspondence with Mazda with my first one when I was having issues of poor fuel economy. I directly asked whether I could re-map with an plug in box as there were several that promised improvements. Their response was that I was welcome to do so, but it would no longer fit the homologation requirement and that i would have to take the responsibility for any consequences relating to it. Note that they never actually said it would invalidate the warranty, but what they said was as good as that.

Alan

Offline NEP68

• Colour: Machine Gray
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 07:23:40 pm »

Offline MikeTB

• Colour: Zeal Red Mica
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 03:52:10 pm »
Glad to see other owners have had the work done, even if it hasn't made much difference. My local dealer still hasn't received the software to make the upgrade.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 05:33:28 pm »
I'd assume a remap would allow any manufacturer wriggle room that you don't want to give them.

Offline cwhit

• Colour: Arctic White
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 04:55:59 pm »
Strange things happen with the cx5. at this recall, which I had done last November, I put a note on the Dealer's form that I was getting the dreaded high revs at almost every start from cold. Since I got the car back, it has not once high revved. So it looks like there must be some tweek that can be done. Dealer was Snows, Portsmouth.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 11:49:23 pm »
Strange things happen with the cx5. at this recall, which I had done last November, I put a note on the Dealer's form that I was getting the dreaded high revs at almost every start from cold. Since I got the car back, it has not once high revved. So it looks like there must be some tweek that can be done. Dealer was Snows, Portsmouth.

No there wasn’t, they don’t do it in cold weather.  It will be back in spring.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline cwhit

• Colour: Arctic White
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 02:59:51 pm »
So it turned to winter on the afternoon of the recall.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 04:55:05 pm »
xtrailman posted this a while back on another thread on the high revs issue:

These are the conditions required for the high revs according to Mazda.

High revs at start up.

Case Reference: 1-517969912

Thank you for your recent email.

Having discussed your concern with our Technical Department, I can advise the following:

High idle speed is a normal function of the SkyActiv Diesel engine on start up, and is not related to any PCM updates; this has always been a feature of this engine.

After a cold start, the regulating valve and the wastegate valve are fully open to enable the exhaust gas to flow through the turbochargers without losing much exhaust gas heating capacity. Also the VVL mechanism slightly opens one exhaust valve per cylinder during intake stroke in order to recirculate a certain amount of high temperature exhaust gas back to the cylinder.

This is for early activation of the catalytic converter and improved exhaust gas purification. This does not indicate defect of the parts.

<Operating Requirement>

1. Water temperature (ECT) at engine starting: from 15 to 32 degrees Celsius.

Intake air temperature (IAT) at engine start: from 15 to 35 degrees Celsius.

Barometric pressure at (BARO) at engine start: from: 91 to 200 kPa.

2. Gear position: P, N, D with the engine idling (Accelerator pedal not depressed)

This is mentioned in the owner’s manual

<Owner’s Manual>

This concern is mentioned in the O/M “When Driving Start/Stop Engine” as follows:.

After starting a cold engine, the engine speed increases and a whining sound from the engine compartment can be heard.

This is for improved exhaust gas purification and does not indicate defect of the parts.

In closing, I trust the above information clarifies your Mazda CX-5 is operating as intended.

Yours sincerely

Jon Haywood-Smith

Regional Customer Relations Manager

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 01:18:23 am »
So it turned to winter on the afternoon of the recall.

Read the conditions listed.  No need for sarcasm when I’m trying to help you understand what happened.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 02:30:33 pm »
.....I put a note on the Dealer's form that I was getting the dreaded high revs at almost every start from cold. Since I got the car back, it has not once high revved. So it looks like there must be some tweek that can be done.

Um, My CX5 is stored in an underground garage which, from early Autumn onward, is very cold. In fact you wouldn't walk around in just a T-shirt in summer either come to think of it. Anyway, the long and the short is that the car has always started with high revs and which is something I don't give a second thought to now.

However, a couple of weeks ago the dealer updated the software and since then no more high revs upon engine start-up and I think it fair to say that it's only become noticeable by it's absence. On the other hand, and I might be imagining this (or not), but the engine now sounds more like the diesel that of course it is. Before I was always pleasantly surprised just how quite the 2.2 was/is when compared to some other makes but now it really does sound like an oil burner. Nothing excessive but noticeable.

On another note, the car went into the workshop to have the left hand side (when viewed from the rear) boot damper replaced. The original was replaced under recall some time back but the replacement started to really squeal and grind so counting the original we're now on damper number 3. Strangely enough, from what I read on other forums I am not the first to have this experience and the troubling damper is always the left hand side one.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 02:30:33 pm »