Author Topic: Turbo part failure  (Read 3886 times)

Offline JaggerCX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Turbo part failure
« on: June 28, 2022, 12:51:30 pm »
My CX-5 2.2d (2016 with only 60k) has lost turbo power, no dashboard warning lights and after an initial garage diagnostic, no error codes either. The garage that did the diagnostic did a short test drive and found that at 2500 - 3000rpm, the turbo does eventually kick in, but I hadn't noticed this since it happened on my commute home in slow town traffic.

I guess this means the low range turbo has failed?

Anyone have an idea what could cause this? The car is now at a Mazda dealer waiting for a pricy investigation. I'm hoping they won't say it needs a new turbo for 2500+ quid. I've come across threads saying that sometimes Mazda can be leaned on to help out with the cost of this kind of premature failure, but I don't know if I'll qualify. 60,000 miles is really quite low mileage and I'd appreciate any advice or relevant experience.

Service history is part Mazda, part other but all completed on time and in accordance with requirements.

Cheers,

Jagger

Offline JaggerCX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Re: Turbo part failure
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 01:38:54 pm »
Update for anyone interested...

Local Mazda dealer initially said the exhaust pressure sensor was suspect and an initial inspection of the turbo showed no swarf or other damage/debris so they replaced the sensor but the problem persisted.  They now say the primary turbo has seized, and since both parts of the turbo are in the same housing they need to replace the whole thing for £2,500. Have emailed Mazda expressing my disappointment and politely suggesting some goodwill assistance.

Not holding my breath though. Think an XC60 might be a better option as I was advised by a close friend before I bought this.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Re: Turbo part failure
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 01:38:54 pm »