Author Topic: Broken Oil Pump Chain  (Read 4232 times)

Offline BillyM88

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Broken Oil Pump Chain
« on: November 13, 2022, 07:39:54 pm »
Hi all,
Looking for some advice...
I was driving around 60mph on a dual carriageway having set off from home 15mins before when I got a red low oil pressure warning and car went into limp mode.
I pulled over at the next opportunity and stopped the car, I reckon I drove maybe 300m or so before stopping.
Also had master warning light and "vehicle system malfunction" on the dash.

Local mazda dealer have diagnosed and found the oil pump chain broken.
They want £2.4k to fix this and won't know if there is any engine damage until this is done. Worst case after that they say is £6k for a replacement engine.
The car has done 89k miles and so I think if it was in working order it would probably have been worth around 8k-9k.

The dealer attempted a goodwill claim with Mazda UK - rejected because although I have a full Mazda service history, apparently I went over mileage on one service interval.
The dealer themselves have offered me £2.4k if I part exchange the car and £500 off any used car on top of that.

I am tempted to roll the dice and pay the 2.4k in the hope that I get lucky and there's no further damage. It seems crazy to lose the car for only 2.4k.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Would be great to get some opinions on what the best cause of action is here.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Huxie

• Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2012
Re: Broken Oil Pump Chain
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 10:52:45 am »
Sorry, bit late with a reply.

Very similar happened to me in January of this year. Single carriageway and only about a mile from home when the car went into limp mode with a red 'engine oil pressure inspection required' warning and an orange 'engine inspection required' warning. Had to crawl maybe 200m to get to a safe place to pull over and the engine was sounding really rough.

Car recovered to Mazda dealer and after diagnosis the oil pump chain was found to be broken. Repair was authorised by Mazda (I've got extended warranty) and to be honest I was worried the engine wouldn't be the same but was happy to find that when it was repaired all was good.

2012 Mazda CX-5 2.2d (175bhp) Sport Nav AWD

Offline BillyM88

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 12:18:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

The outcome was that the engine and turbo was all good following oil pump chain repair... the car starts with no errors/warnings and runs ok.

However, after the technician took the car for a second test drive, he found idle revs to be fluctuating quite a lot.
Initial thought was this was just an issue with a sensor. They found a lot of carbon build up on the sensor and also the intake side of the engine, thought to be unrelated to the original oil pressure issue.

They now want ~ £1000 to replace gasket and do a carbon clean.

I asked the tech if he was confident that would be the end of it, he said the only other issue he sees is that the exhaust camshaft is worn and may need replacing. I guess unrelated, no idea... not a car person as you can probably tell.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 12:18:56 pm »