Author Topic: Soft Cam and damaged turbo  (Read 33718 times)

Offline makitamark

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Re: Soft Cam and damaged turbo
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 08:38:18 pm »
Has anyone on this forum seen any evidence of these ‘soft’ Mazda Camshafts?

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 08:14:52 am »
I’ve seen photos of camshafts with excessive (premature) wear.  They did have a batch where the hardness treatment was not to standard and in my opinion this should be honoured by Mazda as long as there is evidence that the correct oil and service schedule has been met.

Turbo failure is a different matter and while it should be honoured in the case of damage from debris where the cam has deteriorated, there are several failure modes which stem from poor oil (incorrect grade or excessive mileage) to switching the engine off after hard driving. I can understand Mazda wanting lots of evidence and only making part payments on these.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline makitamark

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 04:19:08 pm »
This was removed from my CX-5 last week.
This is certainly not 'normal wear and tear'
All that 'missing' metal killed my Turbo last year and it's just had a part Engine Rebuild.

https://ibb.co/KLVstjd
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:22:53 pm by makitamark »

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 10:28:55 am »
Had it happen on my 2012 model. Didn't see the camshafts that were removed, but did see the turbo. The damage was pretty obvious, you could see the play in the bearing and impeller quite clearly. Looking back I consider it lucky that it happened at a fairly low mileage as it was sorted under warranty and I never had any engine issues after that.

Alan

Offline Qirex

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 08:33:40 am »
On the advice of the Ombudsman I approached the garage who sold me the car ( used in Feb, 2017) and after they consulted their legal team they contributed a further 25% ... leaving me only 25%  to pay. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  Still think that Mazda should have made this a recall issue though,  not impressed for a company of their size.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:37:36 am by Qirex »

Offline Wrightstuff

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 08:19:34 am »
So I took my car-5 into the garage for the fuel injectors recall. On testing the oil pressure and pressing the accelerator it has apparently dragged oil into the engine. They then say that the turbo and camshaft needs replacing. Which having read on this forum I understand is a massive issue. My car is 2013 model, done 50000 miles.

They have had the car 4 weeks now and Mazda have apparently agreed to 50% of the bill. My question would be seeing as the damage was caused in the garage and it was a known faulty part anyway should they not be covering it all? Warranty or not?

Has anyone had any luck speaking to the garage that sold them the car to help with cost of repairs?

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:30 am »
If you have had all the services at Mazda then they should give all the cost as the camshaft is known to be faulty manufacture, the swarf that it then puts into the oil knocks out the turbo. If some of the services are done outside the Mazda network then they seem to offer around 30- 50%. I suspect that as the affected cars get older they will be offering to pay lower percentages.

Offline Wrightstuff

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:15 am »
On the advice of the Ombudsman I approached the garage who sold me the car ( used in Feb, 2017) and after they consulted their legal team they contributed a further 25% ... leaving me only 25%  to pay. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  Still think that Mazda should have made this a recall issue though,  not impressed for a company of their size.
Did the garage who sold you the car contribute because they knew about the issue when they sold it to you?
I'm having the same issues but bought mine from new so just wondered if the garage would have the same approach.

Offline BigAl

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 10:05:49 am »
As Ron said, it's a known problem. My 2012 2.2D 175 had it happen in late 2103 at lower mileage than yours. It is a known problem affecting diesels with VIN number starting with JMZKE and including all numbers up 163230. Mazda have known about this since 2012 but have never "officially" acknowledged it. They've basically treated it on the basis of "we'll deal with the ones that fail, but if they don't, we'll keep quiet and hope the warranty expires"

Based on other posts on here, 50% seems to be the going Mazda rate for this. I do recall seeing another owner on here who involved the ombudsman and managed to get another 25% out of the dealer.

Alan

Offline Wrightstuff

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 10:07:37 am »
I've had 3 services with Mazda and 2 with a private garage. What is their justification for this do you know? The service would not have picked up or prevented this fault and they already knew it existed.

Offline Wrightstuff

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 10:19:25 am »
Also, would I be able to get another garage to complete the repairs so I don't have to pay dealership rates?

Offline BigAl

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 10:27:06 am »
Like most manufacturers, they seem to try and uses any excuse to wriggle of a warranty claim if "unauthorised" servicing is done. They'll do this whilst the vehicle is in warranty. Honestly, as they are offering 50% against a vehicle that's now 2 years out of warranty, I think that's the best you'll get. You can try and get a bit more out of the dealer, as I said< that's probably your best hope. After it's fixed by a Mazda dealer, you shouldn't have the same issue again. I've been following this topic since mine failed and have never heard of anyone who's had this happen twice.

As for onward servicing, I can't really advise as mine have all been company cars so have to be dealer-serviced.

Alan

Offline Wrightstuff

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 10:51:11 am »
Ok, thanks for the advice. I presume the repairs will be under warranty? I've contacted the garage I bought it from for one last throw of the dice. I'm also going to keep at the garage that is doing the repairs as their manager told me at the time he was 100% confident that Mazda would cover it as they had with the previous 3 cases it had happened to.

That was going to me my next question, I presume the ones they are replacing it with having got the same problem.

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 12:59:41 pm »
I think that they should have replaced all the known faulty camshafts,when I tried to get mine done they said that Mazda will only pay when the camshaft has actually gone even though that does a lot more damage and costs them a lot more. I suppose they think that some won’t go and some will go out of warranty and out of Mazda dealer network and so won’t cost them anything.
As you have has 2 services outside the dealer network they feel that they don’t owe you any goodwill as you haven’t shown them any, that is their thinking. I am still waiting for mine to go but don’t use the car that often, but always do long runs. I have kept mine on Mazda extended warranty since it was 3 years old so hopefully all repairs would be paid for but as car gets older I suspect they will say “wear and tear”

Offline Wrightstuff

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 08:26:21 am »
Just spoke to Mazda and they said the reason it wasn't a recall and they haven't notified people about the fault is that it isn't a safety issue. Now seeing as some people from what I read have had the engine cut out on them while driving surely that is a safety issue?

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 08:26:21 am »