Author Topic: Suitable connection for a solar panel  (Read 10094 times)

Offline Frangar

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2018
Suitable connection for a solar panel
« on: May 27, 2019, 05:57:08 pm »
I will be leaving our 2.2D Sport Nav+ for 2-3 months while we go and play with boats over the summer....with our last car I was able to rig up a connection to a permanent live feed inside the car to connect a small solar panel to so that the battery isn't discharged by the alarm and other loads that are always on. Sadly where the car needs to be left doesn't have access to 240v AC so i can't use a trickle float charger

However looking at the CX 5 info i can't find anything obvious inside the cabin thats always on.....the fuse panel in the passenger footwell seems to only be live when the "ignition" is on and none of the power outlets are permanent live either. I could connect directly to the battery but this then means trailing wires going through door seals etc which isn't ideal in my experience...at the very least it leaves a "dent" in the seal!. I tend to leave the panel sitting on the dashboard as its not a waterproof one....and it won't get nicked!

If anyone has any ideas or has found a suitable connection....maybe for an "always on" dash cam then please share!.....Alternatively how long can you leave a CX 5 diesel and have it start reliably?

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: Suitable connection for a solar panel
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 11:59:54 pm »
TBH, if you get a CTEK charger you can leave it connected indefinitely and it will drop into a maintenance mode that will keep the battery healthy by discharging and recharging.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Frangar

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 08:24:03 am »
TBH, if you get a CTEK charger you can leave it connected indefinitely and it will drop into a maintenance mode that will keep the battery healthy by discharging and recharging.

If I had access to mains power where I need to leave the car I’d totally agree...I’ve got a CTEK and agree they are a brilliant bit of kit.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:37 am »
I've never had occasion to use one but these seem to be well reviewed. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLPOWERS-Maintaner-Maintainer-Automobile-Motorcycle-18W/dp/B01N1OUIA3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1RAQRH8GDF70H&keywords=car+solar+battery+charger&qid=1559039220&s=gateway&sprefix=car+solar%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1 Theres a comment about re-wiring the power socket into a permanently on state so it can be used, but this kit has croc clips that can go direct to battery? There is at least one fuse way in the box (LH footwell) that does have permanent live - I use it for the parking feed to my dashcam. I think it's the 4th or 5th one down the right hand row.

Alan

Offline Frangar

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 08:57:43 pm »
I've never had occasion to use one but these seem to be well reviewed. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLPOWERS-Maintaner-Maintainer-Automobile-Motorcycle-18W/dp/B01N1OUIA3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1RAQRH8GDF70H&keywords=car+solar+battery+charger&qid=1559039220&s=gateway&sprefix=car+solar%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1 Theres a comment about re-wiring the power socket into a permanently on state so it can be used, but this kit has croc clips that can go direct to battery? There is at least one fuse way in the box (LH footwell) that does have permanent live - I use it for the parking feed to my dashcam. I think it's the 4th or 5th one down the right hand row.

Alan

Oh I’ll have another look at the fuse board....did you just use a piggyback fuse holder for your dashcam?? If so do you have link...the ones I’ve used seem to need a free holder space next to the one used to accommodate them.

Many thanks.

Gareth

Offline BigAl

Offline BigAl

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 01:23:20 pm »
Incidentally, if I was going to install another dash-cam, I would probably use the OBD2 plug connection for the permanent live. Just used one of these to install a dash-cam in a friends Mazda 2, very simple to do, just plug and play and it self monitors the battery voltage drop. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N775LPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Don't think it would be suitable for a charger, though.

Offline Frangar

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 01:58:46 pm »
Incidentally, if I was going to install another dash-cam, I would probably use the OBD2 plug connection for the permanent live. Just used one of these to install a dash-cam in a friends Mazda 2, very simple to do, just plug and play and it self monitors the battery voltage drop. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N775LPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Don't think it would be suitable for a charger, though.

Many thanks for that! For anyone else contemplating it it’s the fuse on the left hand stack which is permanently live on a 2019 model...fuse 5 for the electronic steering lock. Fuse 16 for the tailgate is also a permanent live. I couldn’t find anything on the RHS stack that was a permanent live.

My piggyback holders did fit after all! Not quite sure why I thought they didn’t!!

So I now have an easy connection for my solar panel. One thing I did find though when poking about with my multimeter is that the resting battery voltage seems to be 12.2v...which is low...I’ll start another topic for that tho!

Once again many thanks for the pics. 

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 01:58:46 pm »