Author Topic: Diesel, now petrol  (Read 7145 times)

Offline Quinny

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2015
Diesel, now petrol
« on: January 05, 2023, 01:56:40 pm »
Hi
I’ve recently bought a cx5 diesel 2015 Sport Nav..however I really don’t like the way it drives and I’m returning it and buying a CX5 2.0ltr petrol 2016 Sport Nav.

I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who’s bought a petrol and their experience with it..reliability etc..many thanks

Offline hovis

• it's wet again
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Diesel, now petrol
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 10:35:10 am »
I have 2020 petrol, can't fault it, had diesel cx5 before for some years, changed as not doing sufficient miles.

Offline Quinny

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 08:51:33 am »
I have 2020 petrol, can't fault it, had diesel cx5 before for some years, changed as not doing sufficient miles.

That’s great to hear, thank you. I spoke to a Mazda dealership and the service manager hinted that the diesels are troublesome.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 02:38:02 pm »
I did the reverse...

I had 3 2.2 diesels, all AWD (2 manual 175's and 1 auto 184) from 2012 to 2019. Then changed to a 2.0 petrol auto 2wd. Swapped back to a diesel 184 auto AWD after 8k miles (had done about 5k when I made the decision).

Main reasons:-
  • Fuel consumption 33mpg average on petrol instead of 42mpg diesel
  • Lack of torque - the petrol felt "gutless" in comparison (I don't tow with it, but most who do seem to prefer diesel
  • Handling - the AWD just feels "better" and more secure, IMHO

Appreciate that not everyone will agree with this. I know people have issues with diesel reliability, but that's not been my experience. I suspect that's because I don't do many short journeys, do use branded and/or premium fuel and do service regularly. Buying a used diesel is potentially more risky than buying a used petrol; mine were all new so this may go some way to explaining why I've had very little in the way of problems. As many have pointed out, the petrol is better suited to urban driving than the diesel.

Alan

Offline Clarice

• Shoot first ask afterwards..fewer questions
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 08:14:20 am »
We have had 3 diesel CX-5s and our current CX-5 is a 2.0 litre petrol. The first diesel was a horror whereby Mazda was trying to use high technology for speedy warm up which frankly was crap. I made no bones about it as others who were on the Forum will testify. I made strong suggestions to the company utilising Adblu to clean up emissions which on our replacement after six months was so fitted and totally transformed the engine which we found totally reliable and gave excellent mileage per gallon of mid to high fifties. The Third was also diesel and I had no qualms about it either, due to change of work we no longer travelled high mileages negating the diesel route going for petrol instead. If you pushed me I prefer the diesel for it’s torque and relatively quiet operation, the petrol is good but requires far more revs to maintain its acceleration, it will kick down in the box to maintain speed ( All are Automatics) and cabin noise suffers as a result, once cruising it is quiet enough. Your main consideration will be fuel cost which currently, diesel is around 23 pence a litre dearer than petrol, if you check out the MPG which petrol hits 40-42 mpg diesel 52-56 mpg the cost is negated as you will not get sufficient mileage from the diesel to warrant this. To me it’s a method of reducing diesel ownership through pricing it artificially high. The aim is to get EV’s at the top of the pile but as far as I’m concerned I will run an ICE vehicle for as long as I possibly can. Johnson was an idiot to instigate  EV by 2030 but like all politicos has no idea of the real world because his family have never been on the borderline in terms of money.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 08:14:20 am »