Author Topic: Dash Cams  (Read 38819 times)

Offline Anchorman

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Dash Cams
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 07:48:13 pm »
Beware, this forum does not auto save and after writing quite a lengthy post on my experience of running front and rear dashcams, it's decided to lose it. Once bitten.........

Sorry to hear that, but the Forum didn't decide to "lose it" for you.  You must have accidentally deleted it yourself somehow, or possibly your internet connection blipped. You could of course have tried to find a cached copy on your computer. Your operating system might have saved a copy in your internet history.  Having just done a bit of research, there is very little evidence of any public internet forums that actually do have Autosave.

However, a salutary warning, that when making a lengthy posting it might be better to do it in a text editor such as Word and then copy & paste onto the forum.   

Yes of course, I'm working on an iPad as I can't use my desktop so I'm sure it (the iPad) refreshed the page or something similar. I used the wrong term by suggesting the forum refreshed. It's a risk when alternating between this forum and photobucket. It would be better to copy it out of Word or similar program but it makes adding the tags for the photo links more difficult.  Sorry for giving the wrong impression.

Rather than try and add photos which I might when I can sit at my computer, I'll just document a couple of important points that were lost as above.

When adding a front camera, you need to run the wire down the front A pillar. It is attached to the window frame with a fixing that is intended to be sacrificial and snipped off but by pulling the trim back, it is possible to use small tools or picks to release it from the window frame. It is then assembled and pushed back as one.  The main point to make is that the power wire must not be tucked under the door seal but tie wrapped above the curtain airbag so that trim needs to come off.

Putting the supply cables into the accessory plugs is the best solution as the cameras power down with the key out. Take care that in a lot of cases, the voltage is dropped from 12v to 5v inside the plug and snipping the plug in order to hardwire the camera will almost certainly destroy it. 

When running the feed to the rear camera, I made a mistake by running it through the right side gaiter but that also holds the wire to the DAB/radio antennas and it completely messes up the radio reception. I will modify mine to simply run a 12v twin core feed from the plug in the boot, right round the bottom, up the left side and in through the left side gaiter, well away from those antennas. I will just add an accessory plug inside the boot and plug the camera in to it inside the back door cavity.

Finally, if that back door seal is pulled back, it is sealed with a non setting white mastic that makes a proper stringy mess. Keep that in mind and remove the parcel shelf and have some decorating sheets around because it doesn't easily clean off.

Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Southern Teuchter

• Old enough to know better Young enough not to care
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:44 pm »
The main point to make is that the power wire must not be tucked under the door seal but tie wrapped above the curtain airbag so that trim needs to come off.

There is a gap under the door seal between the metal frame and the trim - is it not sufficient to push the wire into that gap (so that it doesn't trap/obstruct the cream trim)?  I'm somewhat worried that removing the A pillar trim might damage it.
Now: Maxda CX-5 SE-L Lux Nav 150ps 2WD Manual : Soul Red
Prev: Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R 140ps 4WD Manual : Black

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »
That's how I did mine, pulled the door seal off the A pillar, working the cable into the gap of about 3-4mm, until i got to the bottom threshold plate. That just pulls off then you can get the cable under that and run it forward into the footwell under the side matting.

Alan

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 06:22:14 pm »
I did the same.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Southern Teuchter

• Old enough to know better Young enough not to care
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 08:58:58 pm »
Then great minds think alike Gentlemen!  (Or fools seldom differ - either or ;) )
Now: Maxda CX-5 SE-L Lux Nav 150ps 2WD Manual : Soul Red
Prev: Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R 140ps 4WD Manual : Black

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 07:55:15 am »
Just read this. It’s not what you do at the bottom but what you do at the top that matters. You should not cross the airbag to get the wire to the camera. It’s a recipe for disaster if that airbag deploys.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 07:52:08 pm »
Just bought a Nextbase 612GW for my new CX5 for when I collect it in mid October. I'm thinking of installing it myself using either the front accessory socket or the one in the console which houses the USB ports etc. I know Anchorman has concerns with the A pillar airbag. What if the cable was fed along the headlining and down the A pillar trim tucked into the gap between the trim and the windscreen which should avoid the air bag?
I'm loathe to let Halfords loose on this for fitting as they sold me a used 612GW at a new price. The tell tale was that the security sticker had been restuck with tape and a registration number had already been entered into the dashcam. Also, there was a scribbled note on the inside of the box that the firmware had been updated 16/08/2018. And...there was no protective film on the lense and screen...And there was no first time start up when switched on. I obviously got it exchanged for a new one. Muppets! How did they think they would get away with that!
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 10:33:05 pm »
If you pull the door seal off just where the trim is, you can then detach the trim enough to feed the wire in. You might hide it without but I’m not sure how much room there is to feed the connector through.  Alternatively, have a ride over and watch me do it while you have a brew.

Incidentally, I used a piggy back fuse holder behind the fuse box panel in the footwell.  I think I might have another you can have. You would need a 12v socket then you can maintain your sockets in the car for other use.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 10:31:37 am »
Thanks Anchorman. I WILL take you up on your offer so it will be after 23 October after having it detailed. It will be a CX5 fest around your place.  :) Obviously I will contact you privately relating to when exactly and where. :)
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 07:55:51 pm »
Thanks Anchorman. I WILL take you up on your offer so it will be after 23 October after having it detailed. It will be a CX5 fest around your place.  :) Obviously I will contact you privately relating to when exactly and where. :)

Look forward to it.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2018, 07:55:51 pm »