General Category > CX-5

Fuel consumption

<< < (2/47) > >>

rmvf:
Hows this 47.4 mpg for a 380 mile drive in a 1.6 petrol, speed all the way between 50 and 60, well impressed but took 8 hours.

I reset computer before hand, reason?

mazda 3 in for new tyre and alloy wheel, I normally get between 31 and 33.

next time I do I 100mile+ journey will do the same in the cx-5 and see if it has improved over previous Edinburgh run.

rmvf:
straight out of the mazda website.

6. Why does my fuel consumption vary from the figures published by Mazda?

The current mpg tests are designed to provide you with a simple way of comparing the performance between new models. In order to do this accurately, the tests have to be carried out in exactly the same way, regardless of manufacturer, model or even the country in which the test was conducted.  The only way the European Commission can ensure that manufacturers are all testing in the same way, is to stipulate the use of a rolling road test carried out in laboratory conditions. This keeps everything constant; ambient temperature, driving style and vehicle loading conditions to name a few.

With the tests conducted in this way, you will see some differences between the laboratory test and the real world performance of your vehicle. These differences could be better or worse than the published laboratory results depending on a number of factors.  For more information on how the standard fuel consumption test is calculated, visit Fuel testing scheme.

If you feel that your Mazda is not performing as it should and that there could be a technical issue which is affecting fuel economy, please contact your Mazda dealer; or for advice on how to make improvements to your fuel economy, please visit Green driving tips.

BigAl:
Things I have found so far.

1) Don't trust the trip computer as more than a rough guide. I zero the average MPG every time I fill up and record it at next fill. I also record the actual mileage on the fuel receipt, and calculate the true MPG figure. generally, the true figure is generally about 3-5 MPG lower than the trip computer. I've been doing this for the last 27K miles, true measured average now stands at 40.9MPG
2) Don't trust the handbook. The guff about testing is just a get-out clause. If it were true, then you would expect all cars to be out from the official figures by similar amounts. They aren't - look at Honest John's real MPG results. Average across all marques is 86% Average across all Mazda's is 87%. The Mazda CX5 at 77% is only exceeded in the range by the Mazda 6 at 74%. But the MX5 achieves 95%. Generally, the older the model, the nearer the official and real world figures are, which suggests to me that newer results are being forced and exaggerated.
3) Have a read of the bad press that the manufacturers get regarding the tricks they use for the tests. Taping over body panel gaps. Removing anything not bolted down. Pressing in the brake cylinders to reduce pad drag. Over-inflating tyres. they all do it.
4) Manufacturers are allowed - apparently - to test one engine variant and publish those results for all the engines, even if the power output is different and affects the MPG.

Unfortunately, I bought mine in August 2012 (having ordered it in the March), before any real world figures were available. I let myself be seduced by the marketing which has all turned out to be false, as far as the fuel consumption his concerned. That won't happen again.

rmvf:
totally agree with your points, what ive done a couple of times prior to a very long run is filled the tank to brim then refilled after. Bit of a pain as tank designed to cut off @ 95%.

putting aside still happy with going with petrol to get over 30mpg in a 2.0ltr on a vehicle that size.

howardsathome:
Like you I always fill to full and record the mileage.
Just completed 700 mile round trip from West Midlands to Devon/Cornwall. Trip Computer recorded 39.8mpg overall. 3 fuel top-up calculations varied from 36.7 to 41.2.
Certainly long stretches of 50 mph road works section on the M5 improve the mpg as you would expect.

--- Quote from: howardsathome on March 21, 2014, 01:40:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: BigAl on March 18, 2014, 10:55:43 pm ---Things I have found so far.

1) Don't trust the trip computer as more than a rough guide. I zero the average MPG every time I fill up and record it at next fill. I also record the actual mileage on the fuel receipt, and calculate the true MPG figure. generally, the true figure is generally about 3-5 MPG lower than the trip computer. I've been doing this for the last 27K miles, true measured average now stands at 40.9MPG
2) Don't trust the handbook. The guff about testing is just a get-out clause. If it were true, then you would expect all cars to be out from the official figures by similar amounts. They aren't - look at Honest John's real MPG results. Average across all marques is 86% Average across all Mazda's is 87%. The Mazda CX5 at 77% is only exceeded in the range by the Mazda 6 at 74%. But the MX5 achieves 95%. Generally, the older the model, the nearer the official and real world figures are, which suggests to me that newer results are being forced and exaggerated.
3) Have a read of the bad press that the manufacturers get regarding the tricks they use for the tests. Taping over body panel gaps. Removing anything not bolted down. Pressing in the brake cylinders to reduce pad drag. Over-inflating tyres. they all do it.
4) Manufacturers are allowed - apparently - to test one engine variant and publish those results for all the engines, even if the power output is different and affects the MPG.

Unfortunately, I bought mine in August 2012 (having ordered it in the March), before any real world figures were available. I let myself be seduced by the marketing which has all turned out to be false, as far as the fuel consumption his concerned. That won't happen again.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: BigAl on March 18, 2014, 10:55:43 pm ---
--- Quote from: howardsathome on March 21, 2014, 01:40:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: BigAl on March 18, 2014, 10:55:43 pm ---Things I have found so far.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Things I have found so far.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version