General Category > Accident File

Sudden unintended acceleration

<< < (3/3)

agj:
Thanks for the replies...

Design faults - Agree that if it was an evident design issue, it should manifest more commonly. But there are random occasional issues that are really hard to isolate. If you search for "sudden unintended acceleration", Toyota in the US had such instances but kept pushing it off as driver error till there were fatal accidents and the counts started to creep up. I work in software and understand the nature of 'software defects' - Some happen only very very occasionally and are hard to simulate, but are still a real risk.

I have raised this issue with the Ombudsman and DVSA - Waiting on a reply.

With regard to the CX-5, I noticed a strange behavior right after purchasing the car - When starting the car, the engine would race a bit for about 10-30 seconds before it settles down. Sometimes this would be after cold start, but not always - Even stopping the car after running for about 10min and then restarting would result in the 'racing'. The recovery vehicle driver also said this looked very strange. Has anyone noticed the same?

When I showed this to the dealer a couple of weeks after purchase, they had a mechanic drive the car and check - They said its normal for the CX-5

I haven't noticed this behavior on any other car - Mercedes, Hyundai, Ford or Vauxhall. They all just start and don't race (when idling), even for a cold start. With the CX-5, there is a perceptible 'racing' and rpm fluctuations, though in a small range.

Another weird one is the strange sound at lower gears, when accelerating - The CX-5 has a strange 'electric motor' type sound at these gears / quick acceleration which is again something I have never heard in any other car. This may be down to how the CX-5 Petrol Auto is, but just checking if that's not the case

At higher gears, though the CX-5 is really smooth and silent.

dunhill1984:
Mine races as well-its normal for this non turbo skyactiv engine i have been told

agj:
Thanks....that's good to know.

Did you find the noise at lower gears strange / different from other cars too?

It may be down to the fact that it is a non-turbo petrol.

Anchorman:

--- Quote from: agj on April 27, 2019, 01:59:46 pm ---Thanks for the replies...

Design faults - Agree that if it was an evident design issue, it should manifest more commonly. But there are random occasional issues that are really hard to isolate. If you search for "sudden unintended acceleration", Toyota in the US had such instances but kept pushing it off as driver error till there were fatal accidents and the counts started to creep up. I work in software and understand the nature of 'software defects' - Some happen only very very occasionally and are hard to simulate, but are still a real risk.

I have raised this issue with the Ombudsman and DVSA - Waiting on a reply.

With regard to the CX-5, I noticed a strange behavior right after purchasing the car - When starting the car, the engine would race a bit for about 10-30 seconds before it settles down. Sometimes this would be after cold start, but not always - Even stopping the car after running for about 10min and then restarting would result in the 'racing'. The recovery vehicle driver also said this looked very strange. Has anyone noticed the same?

When I showed this to the dealer a couple of weeks after purchase, they had a mechanic drive the car and check - They said its normal for the CX-5

I haven't noticed this behavior on any other car - Mercedes, Hyundai, Ford or Vauxhall. They all just start and don't race (when idling), even for a cold start. With the CX-5, there is a perceptible 'racing' and rpm fluctuations, though in a small range.

--- End quote ---

What don’t you get?  You won’t notice it with other makes because they either have other ways of treating emissions or they don’t meet Euro 6.

The CX5 is DESIGNED to do it.  It isn’t an “issue” it is supposed to do it.

dunhill1984:
HI agi,my previous cars were diesels so i cant compare but i got used to it after a few weeks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version