Author Topic: Cracked Windscreen  (Read 18743 times)

Offline kathb

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Cracked Windscreen
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:52:24 am »
Has anybody had a problem with a windscreen that just seemed crack. There is no stone chip, no mark on the windscreen just a massive crack which suddenly appeared on the first really hot day we had. The car is 3 months only with only 2000kms on the clock.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
Re: Cracked Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:20:13 am »
How strange.  I would take it to Mazda before going elsewhere and get them to look at it. It may well be that there could be some "foreign" matter between the glass and the bodywork, or even some bodywork distortion,  that has caused a structural stress on the glass. They may want to investigate.

However a word of caution. I think it would be highly unlikely that Mazda would cover this under your warranty, as I believe glass and mirrors are excluded. However they have been know to concede in some circumstances.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:05:01 pm »
There has been quite a bit of discussion on the subject around the world over the last couple of years (see links below). Quite a number seem to have broken without any real provocation, although no-one seems to have got anywhere with getting Mazda to stump up for replacement. General consensus seems to be that the screen has been thinned down as part of the weight saving design of the CX5. This is certainly true for the mirror glass which always breaks (apparently) if you need to get inside for the motors, etc. However, the fact that the screens have also been hard to get hold of may suggest that a lot are breaking? At 57K miles, I guess I may have been lucky.

Hopefully your insurance will cover this without affecting NCD?

Alan

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/mazda-cx-5-cracked-windscreen-problem/1217518
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/54077/windscreen-failures-with-mazda-cx-5
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123827389-Windshield-stress-crack-at-three-weeks-%28And-total-blow-off-from-dealer-s-service-pe
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-5/2014/miscellaneous/unknown_or_other.shtml
http://www.ozmazda.com/board/index.php/topic/16761-cx5-windscreens/
http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/cracked-windshield-2014-cx-5-grand-touring-w-smart-city-brake-support-system-31837/

Offline kathb

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:45:16 pm »
No joy with Mazda they have apparently not replaced one screen in Ireland!!   . So it has to be done through insurance.
Many thanks for the replies appeciate it.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:04:51 pm »
No joy with Mazda they have apparently not replaced one screen in Ireland!! 

If they told you that, I'm not sure that this fact is particularly relevant. Mazda don't make CX-5's with stronger screens just for Ireland. That is a ridiculous excuse for them to make.
If you live in N.I  I would contact Mazda (UK)  and see what they have to say.

Offline Negativepitch

• Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 03:52:22 pm »
only just came across this thread.
If you put in mazda cx5 cracked windscreen in google, there are one or two results with 2015 cracked windscreens.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:08:19 pm by Willpower »
Nissan Qashqai not sat on my drive again.

Offline Negativepitch

• Colour: Aluminium Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:37:55 pm »
Having gone in to a different dealer I was talking to a very friendly service desk staff member,
I did mention the crack, and he told me that yes that can be a fault, the top of the screen can get a small bubble forming in the seal which then can stress the screen
He said that Mazda are now aware of it and put the windscreen under warranty.
He was a really nice bloke. and a very honest dealer.
Nissan Qashqai not sat on my drive again.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 10:46:56 am »
If there is one thing about cars that some would say I am fanatical about, and that is clean glass. A couple of weeks dirt on the bodywork I can put up with but dirty glass is a definite no-no. With that being said, I set about cleaning the glass on my CX-5 yesterday with a fervor that almost bordered on applying spit and polish to the windscreen. I know, must be the old military man inside of me lol. Anyway, on completion of the exercise I noticed these tiny - roughly 2mm in size - scratches in the windscreen. I describe them as scratches because they (three of them) were too shallow to detect with a finger nail either inside or out. These marks ran laterally across the screen as though a stone had been thrown across the screen from a sideways direction and not head on. Thinking that these marks might well have been ingrained dirt I paid special attention to them but no amount of rubbing etc would shift them so the conclusion is that these are in fact scratches to the glass. They were not evident during the last clean so, therefore, the damage(!) must have occurred during the last trip out a couple of days ago.
If they are indeed scratches then I can only suggest that these screens must be as soft as butter because in over 50 years of driving and ownership of cars too many to mention, I have never witnessed such a thing. I've had cracked screen, stone chips which are clearly evident as stone chips but never ever scratches. Weird.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 10:46:56 am »