Author Topic: Current MPG display  (Read 12983 times)

Offline BD

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Current MPG display
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:20:19 pm »
Hi All, I have just joined the forum and have been driving my CX-5 for a couple of weeks now. I have noticed that the current MPG display fluctuates significantly from a few miles per gallon to 99.9 mpg. I am not sure if it should vary this much? Also does it impact the average MPG value? Do I need to take the car back to the dealer to get it checked, has anyone else faced a similar problem? Any advice would be most welcome. Rgds.   

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Current MPG display
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 03:29:34 pm »
That's normal for that display as it shows the "instantaneous" MPG, i.e, what it's doing at any given second. 99.9 is the maximum the display goes to when no fuel is being used. Quite honestly, it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and I don't know why they even put them on any car.

Switch it to the average MPG display (the one with the circle/diagonal line). You can zero the average for each tank by pressing and holding the middle of the info button on the steering wheel, it then takes a couple of miles before it starts registering again. Bear in mind that even that is optimistic by about 2-3MPG. If you want accurate MPG figures record your fuel receipts against your actual mileage over a period of time)

Alan

Offline BD

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:49 pm »
Thanks Alan, that puts my mind to rest. The current MPG seems to be useless information designed to confuse rather than help. Rgds

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:17:34 am »
The instantaneous read out is more like a vacuum gauge of old, you can use it to drive ecomomically, or just see how much fuel you can waste, I don't use it much, as bigal mine stays on the average read out permanently, I never use the other functions.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:17:34 am »