Author Topic: Tyre manufacturer  (Read 63683 times)

Offline Howard

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
Re: Tyre manufacturer
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 08:28:37 pm »
Hi, I'm interested  to know what folk are getting out of their Toyo tyres from new. I had my fronts replaced at 17k. It's now fitted with Michelin,looking like they are going to do better milage.
When I had the tyres fitted the garage said this as normal for this tyre and model.
The previous post said he had over 30k out of them?, mine were actually on the wear bars at 17k and my car does mainly long runs.....

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 08:06:54 am »
I wonder who defines the tyres that the CX-5 gets booted with upon delivery - Mazda Jp or the Importer?

Mine came with Yokohama Geolander G98 and from what I see on the dealers forecourt here in Germany, so too are all the others.

Can't actually provide any feedback at this time on how they perform/wear as I had winter tyres fitted from the word go and these are Hankook Winter i cept evo2 SUV which once again appear to be the standard tyre fitted by the dealer for winter.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 08:51:52 am »
Car with 17" wheels get different tyres to the 19" in the UK, mine are Toyo proxy 35a.

In the USA from what i can make out some get all season tyres as OE.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline ColinX-5

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 09:02:40 am »
With my previous CX5 I got 27k on Toyo proxy   I rotate every 6k   

And the replacements were Maxtrek Sierra, they where slightly more quite  and slightly better MPG , when traded in at 58k they had 4.5m on them.   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:50:20 am by ColinX-5 »

Offline Howard

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:04 pm »
Hi, it's always the big debate whether to rotate the tyres, if you rotate you can end up replacing all 4 tyres at the same time all be it at a higher milage. Or you don't rotate and replace the fronts after a shorter milage, and get huge milage from the rears, I suspect there's not a lot in it.
Mazda seemed to of used both these makes from new on all of their models.
I personally think Michilin tyres take some beating.

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 08:14:08 pm »
Rotating tyres on the AWD versions is always a good idea.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 09:08:30 am »
The good book states that tyres  should be rotated every 10,000km (6,250miles) which, plus or minus a bit, is just about what I drive each year anyway. That said, for half of the year the car is on winter tyres  and upon changeover it is common over here to mark the tyres with chalk e.g. HR meaning Hinten Rechts (Rear Right) so that when it is refitted it then goes on Front Right i.e. front to back.

I'm not too sure about a diagonal change as indicated in the manual as most tyres are marked with a direction of rotation arrow and by changing diagonally this would mean that the tyre would we rotating in the wrong direction. My winter tyres are simply marked 'Outside' making diagonal rotation possible but whether or not this would be the case with all 4 x 4 tyres I wouldn't know so it's definitely something worth keeping in mind.

It'll be worth seeing how my summer tyres shape up after a summer of having the caravan hung on the back. If the added weight on the back means the rears wear quicker (which should indeed be the case) then they will in all likelihood  balance -  wear wise - nicely with the fronts which usually wear quicker anyway making tyre rotation pretty meaningless.  Only time will tell of course.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 09:30:49 am »
Hi, I'm interested  to know what folk are getting out of their Toyo tyres from new. I had my fronts replaced at 17k.

35,000 on my first set, but that was right down to the legal minimum (see start of this thread).

Alan

Offline howardsathome

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Year: 2013
Re: Tyre manufacturer - Tyre Life and Tyre Rotation
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2015, 01:07:23 pm »
Interesting points. Picking up on this topic I support what BigAl says about rotating front to rear with AWD. Like him I had an Xtrail ( for ten years from new to 99,500 miles). Fitted with16'' Dunlop Grandtrek including a full size spare. I rotated front to rear at 20,000 & 40,000 miles. In addition I had to work in the spare following a puncture. The result was that I changed 2 tyres after 56,000 miles with 3mm remaining. You can really notice the deterioration in wet performance below 3mm.
I have now completed 22,000 miles on 225/65R17 Yokohama Geolander G98A with 4mm remaining front, 4.5 rear. Shoulder wear is evident on all tyres slightly more on fronts. This is normal as shoulder cross slots on the pattern are never full depth to minimise noise generation.
I may have gone a bit too far to change front to rear now, but will reconsider in the next month or so.
Regarding tyre choice from OE each Sales Market can influence Tyre Brand Choice from a list of Approved Tyre Types/Brands.
One more little point on posts I take it that reference to 'k' is Thousand and not Kilometres (km).

Offline Howard

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »
Hi, sorry I meant 17 thousand. So is the answer to change the tyres front to back to get theses milages, I can not get my head round the fact that folk are getting 13 thousand more miles out of their tyres. Having been in the Motor trade( previous life before retiring) it was normal to see between 17 to 22 thousand miles and this is based on many years working on Land Rovers.
The Cx5 we own is driven with care by myself & wife and we are definitely not boy racers.

Offline howardsathome

• Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2015, 06:24:12 pm »
There isn't a simple answer to this. A lot of factors have to be considered.
Just to take a few, and using an extreme example,  Large Truck Tyres on HGV's.
A typical Articulated Truck and Trailer on long haul will exceed 100,000 km per tyre all round on a 6x2 tractor unit.
Now take a 6x2 Rigid Refuse Truck on household collections and you may drop to half that.
Make it a 6x4 (double drive) on Bulk Animal Feed delivery in mid Wales and that can drop to 20,000 km.
So it is all down to route, road conditions, power steering, stop/start journeys, power to weight and of course Driving Style.
If you look across the typical Land Rover range and evolution from Defender on Cross Ply Tyres to Discovery, Freelander, Range Rover not to mention all the new 'Exotic' stuff, tyres have many applications and most are now Radial which will give better performance.
In addition 4WD comes in many forms and some systems are kinder on the tyres.
There is a argument for rotating front & rear to improve overall mileage but, as you pointed out, you are likely to have to fit 4 then.
One final point, it is important to fit the tyres with the best cornering force on the rear. This applies to AWD, FWD or RWD.
To have new tyres on the front of a Front Wheel Drive Vehicle and minimal tread on the rears can result in a dangerous oversteer condition. 

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 08:27:17 pm »

A well said and accurately stated reply.  Having been in an HGV Rental business for years and responsible for tyre expenditure, I agree entirely.

Offline xtrailman

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2015, 09:12:28 pm »
There isn't a simple answer to this. A lot of factors have to be considered.
Just to take a few, and using an extreme example,  Large Truck Tyres on HGV's.
A typical Articulated Truck and Trailer on long haul will exceed 100,000 km per tyre all round on a 6x2 tractor unit.
Now take a 6x2 Rigid Refuse Truck on household collections and you may drop to half that.
Make it a 6x4 (double drive) on Bulk Animal Feed delivery in mid Wales and that can drop to 20,000 km.
So it is all down to route, road conditions, power steering, stop/start journeys, power to weight and of course Driving Style.
If you look across the typical Land Rover range and evolution from Defender on Cross Ply Tyres to Discovery, Freelander, Range Rover not to mention all the new 'Exotic' stuff, tyres have many applications and most are now Radial which will give better performance.
In addition 4WD comes in many forms and some systems are kinder on the tyres.
There is a argument for rotating front & rear to improve overall mileage but, as you pointed out, you are likely to have to fit 4 then.
One final point, it is important to fit the tyres with the best cornering force on the rear. This applies to AWD, FWD or RWD.
To have new tyres on the front of a Front Wheel Drive Vehicle and minimal tread on the rears can result in a dangerous oversteer condition.

The reason its recommened to rotate the tyres on AWD cars is to protect the transmission, essential on fixed 4wd systems.
With the Audi Quattro i had the tyres had to be within 3mm.

Offline ColinX-5

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 12:11:05 pm »
You fellows seem to forget that tire rotation is recommend by Mazda and they want you to have a good experience with your car [except for the satnav  :'(    :( ] and you can also give them a good wash and coat of wax inside and out  8) at the same time.

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »
Pity that Mazda as standard don't give you a jack to help in rotating wheels.

Anyway, anyone who's used a tyre-shop to do the rotation, how much do they typically charge?

Thanks.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »