Author Topic: WARNING - Keyless entry  (Read 14623 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
WARNING - Keyless entry
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:15:12 am »
I read an interesting article over the weekend that was published in one of our popular motoring magazines concerning the ever increasing rise in theft of vehicles fitted out with the 'keyless entry' system.

Whilst I was aware that the key was continuously 'hunting' for the appropriate vehicle I hadn't appreciated that with the right equipment, costing less than €100, it was possible to detect, record and save the emitted code from a distance approaching 400m. Criminals are for example, sitting in carparks awaiting for 'keyless entry' fitted vehicles to enter. If the distance between the two parked vehicles is too great or there is disruption to the signal, one of the criminals will follow you into the shop or cafe etc and will then using a device concealed in a plastic bag or laptop case record the signal emitted from the key. Then, fully automatically and using WiFi or a Data transmission, this code will be transferred to the accomplice(s) sitting in the carpark where the recoded code will be saved to another device. The accomplice then approaches the car and the device, which the car sees as the owners key carrying the correct code, opens and in no time the affected vehicle is driven away. The only vehicle not susceptible to this is the Mercedes C300 Coupe with it's removable start knob containing the receiver. That is of course on the assumption that the owner removes and takes the start knob away with them.

Another popular method used by criminals is to walk around estates footpaths during the night. If the vehicle owner has placed the key next to an outside wall and/or window this is sufficient for the key coding to be read and recorded with the same results - goodbye to your vehicle.

Sadly there is at present no answer to this problem which will only increase as more manufacturers jump on the bandwagon of placing convenience above security. Mazda's response to this when questioned by the magazine is that owners can elect to have the keyless entry and start function deactivated by the dealer which of course beggers the question of why do they fit such a system in the first place.

In conclusion, the report recommends that owner of vehicles fitted with the keyless entry system do not place their keys next to outside walls/windows when inside a building (home) and when out and about away from the vehicle, place the key in some sort of metal container.

Alarmist? Somewhat perhaps but I guess if your response is the same as those interviewed by the magazine who have either returned from shopping or gone to the garage first thing in the morning only to find their pride and joy gone missing and have said - 'never ever a keyless entry car again' - the perhaps not so alarmist after all.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:17:57 am by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
Re: WARNING - Keyless entry
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:26:31 am »
Unfortunately this is also applicable to vehicles without keyless entry but which, like most cars these days, rely upon a key fob to unlock and disable the alarm.

It has been known for many years that the signal from the fob to the car can be intercepted in the manner described above as long as the criminal perpetrators are within range when the key fob button was pressed.  They just need to sit in a car park and watch whilst you lock your car using the fob and intercept the signal. Then, after you have left the vicinity, it's just a case of a simple "hotwire" job.   So it was only a matter of time before the technology became available to offer the bonus of not actually having to rip the wires apart and it became available to the criminal.
Distressing to say the least. But it is a risk that we all take.

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:53:22 pm »
I saw this crime done on TV last year, high marque's the target zero damage . I think BMW and range rovers have has some forms of tech upgraded but I can't remember what,  it's also done to gain entry for theft of contents. Happened to my sons friend.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline MikeTB

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:40:36 pm »
What happened to the system that changed the code each time it was used, and the receiver would expect a new code each time?
I rarely use the button as the CX5 opens when you press the button on the door handle or boot.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »
What happened to the system that changed the code each time it was used, and the receiver would expect a new code each time?

Surely that would make it even easier. Any nefarious person with a code imitator would be able to use just any old code to gain entry.  Not an improvement in any way.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:26:13 pm »

This link was last updated in 2014 but discusses the system you are thinking of http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp where simply capturing and repeating a code used apparently doesn't work. Perhaps tech has moved on again but I'd be interested to see if there are documented cases of theft from cars (or of cars) rather than just media stories about the risk.

That said, I think the snopes article assumes you are using a remote button fob rather than a genuine keyless fob which does 'hunt' by sending or receiving a signal, so maybe this is a genuine vulnerability.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 01:44:32 pm »
but I'd be interested to see if there are documented cases of theft from cars (or of cars) rather than just media stories about the risk.

The article I referred to in my first post was taken from the most recent (last Friday) copy of the magazine and yes, it also contains stories from a few of those who have been affected.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline twabrigs

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:46 pm »