Author Topic: Ambient lighting in CX5  (Read 23833 times)

Offline MikeyB

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2014
Ambient lighting in CX5
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:39:57 pm »
Hi all,
One thing that the CX-5 lacks in my opinion is low-intensity ambient lighting in the cabin at night. My previous 2 cars (Lexus, Merc), both had a couple of yellow LEDs in the roof light cluster that just threw down enough light to avoid the centre console area being pitch black at night. Even my wife's Peugeot has this!.

I've been pondering how to fit some DIY LEDs, but the stumbling block is how to power them from a circuit that's both easily accessible and on the switched accessories circuit. The interior lights are easy to get at, but are permanently live. I don't want to flatten the battery!

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Re: Ambient lighting in CX5
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:47:24 pm »
You might find some inspiration here http:/www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?549-Mazda-CX-5 but whatever you do, DON'T bother with the Mazda 'welcome illumination' kit which promises a fiery red glow in the footwell but is actually just about invisible. My car has this, along with one or two other extras, which were fitted as it was a dealer demonstrator when I bought it. Glad I didn't specify and pay for them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:42:56 pm by Willpower »

Offline MikeyB

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:28:52 pm »
Thanks - I found this thread there:
http:/www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123822198-Ambient-lighting

Looks like I'll have to go have a dig around when I get the chance.

And yes, footwell lighting would be nice too!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:42:29 pm by Willpower »

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:29:51 pm »
I did spec the footwell lighting in my current CX5, it's not visible in the day, but works quite well at night. I was disappointed to find that it faded out with the interior lights, though. I thought it would stay on if the headlights were on. My Subaru Forester had a nice blue light which shone down from the ceiling to the centre console (more imaginative all round) and my sons Leon FR has white light strips in the door which turn red when in sports mode.

Alan

Offline MikeyB

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 06:49:26 pm »
I agree, footwell lighting that doesn't stay on seems a bit pointless.

Offline djb14

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:02:35 pm »
Hi all,
One thing that the CX-5 lacks in my opinion is low-intensity ambient lighting in the cabin at night. My previous 2 cars (Lexus, Merc), both had a couple of yellow LEDs in the roof light cluster that just threw down enough light to avoid the centre console area being pitch black at night. Even my wife's Peugeot has this!.

I've been pondering how to fit some DIY LEDs, but the stumbling block is how to power them from a circuit that's both easily accessible and on the switched accessories circuit. The interior lights are easy to get at, but are permanently live. I don't want to flatten the battery!

As a new member of the furum and a new owner of a 2013 2.2D auto AWD, I can't believe there's no lighting on the auto shift gate/indicator. The first time I drove the car in the dark I was really struggling to find 'Drive'.  I asked the dealer, but he is none the wiser, although he's going to investigate.  I agree, the ambient lighting is generally very poor.

This is my first post, btw.  Looking forward to participating in the forum.  Many thanks to those involved in this great resource. 

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 08:35:10 am »
I'm on my first auto and have no problems locating all the positions, but the 2015 car is different to the 2013 cars auto, and I have a led to show position.

I also find it easy to use manual on the occasions I use it.

Mazda do save money on indicator lighting which is a shame if you drive a night a lot, thankfully I don't.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 04:50:52 pm »

I can't believe there's no lighting on the auto shift gate/indicator. The first time I drove the car in the dark I was really struggling to find 'Drive'.  I asked the dealer, but he is none the wiser, although he's going to investigate.  I agree, the ambient lighting is generally very poor.

Did you get any follow-up on this?
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline djb14

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »

I can't believe there's no lighting on the auto shift gate/indicator. The first time I drove the car in the dark I was really struggling to find 'Drive'.  I asked the dealer, but he is none the wiser, although he's going to investigate.  I agree, the ambient lighting is generally very poor.

Did you get any follow-up on this?

Not yet.  I'm due back on Thurs when I get my cherished plate changed over.  I'll report any feedback then.

In the Lake District with the car at the moment - really pleased with the way it's performing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:14:58 pm by Willpower »

Offline Bert321

• Year: 2017
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 08:17:27 am »
the stumbling block is how to power them from a circuit that's both easily accessible and on the switched accessories circuit.
If you have an auto dimming mirror I'm pretty sure it's only live with the lights on, so maybe you could use that feed?

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 11:02:30 am »
I've taken ignition feeds for my dash cam and rear view camera monitor for the caravan from the fuse board in the passenger footwell.

Using a spare "RT FEEDS" supply, fuses are marked up on the back of the cover, I've taken the supply via a piggy back fuse link.
Both cables are hidden under the A pillar cover (no need to remove it) and the head lining.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:04:03 am by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 06:21:58 pm »

I'm due back on Thurs when I get my cherished plate changed over.  I'll report any feedback then.

OK, but if he's still non the wiser it might be worth checking with other 2013 model owners if their auto selector gate is illuminated or not. It would seem strange if Mazda had decided to add this feature only to the 2015 models as mine is, and as Xtrailman has already confirmed that his is also. Might also be worth checking whether the selector letters are clear which would be a good indication of whether there should be some lighting behind it. If they are simply opaque then it's highly likely that no lighting exists behind them.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline djb14

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 07:06:25 pm »

I'm due back on Thurs when I get my cherished plate changed over.  I'll report any feedback then.

OK, but if he's still non the wiser it might be worth checking with other 2013 model owners if their auto selector gate is illuminated or not. It would seem strange if Mazda had decided to add this feature only to the 2015 models as mine is, and as Xtrailman has already confirmed that his is also. Might also be worth checking whether the selector letters are clear which would be a good indication of whether there should be some lighting behind it. If they are simply opaque then it's highly likely that no lighting exists behind them.

Following your suggestion, I've posted a specific query, and will check the layout in tyhe car.  Many thanks

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:32:27 pm »
I've also been thinking about the same thing!

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123827708-Ambient-overhead-lighting-ideas&p=6133468#post6133468

This person fitted an LED to their overhead console and it seemed so work quite well so I'm going to look into this in the future.
I'd also like the footwell illumination but I'm going to buy my own LEDs instead of the Mazda kit and will report back with how I get on! Puddle lighting in the doors would be a nice touch too, I had all of these my last car and they were great things to have.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:32:02 pm by Willpower »
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:32:27 pm »