Author Topic: extended warranty  (Read 21194 times)

Offline ROCKETRON

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
extended warranty
« on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:24 pm »
My 2013 sport nav will be 3 years old next month, just had 3 year service and mot, all ok. The service was £300 as it also requires a fuel filter that is around £50-60 on its own. After reading all the problems some have had with their cars with oil rise and camshafts etc i decided to go for the Mazda extended warranty. Has anyone had experience of claiming under it? i understand that you just take your car into dealer and they do all the claiming that is needed and just fix the car. I feel that with all the big things Mazda would probably fix them anyway as most of the problems are well documented but the warranty give you a bit more peace of mind. I have gone for comprehensive with recovery and nil excess.
I toyed with the idea of changing the car but to be fair i dont really know what i fancy and as i dont use it much anyway decided to keep it for another year if it carries on running as well as it does at the moment.

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
Re: extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »
Hi - my car's about 7 months behind you; how much was the extended warranty if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:54:02 pm »
If it's like the Toyota warranty it is very good. A lot of these third party add on warranties will only let you claim if something has completely failed but the genuine warranty would let you claim if you believe it will cause a problem, for example a noisy water pump.

Regarding oil dilution and camshafts, problems of that nature tend to show up early so I doubt you will start having problems now. Using good quality diesel might help you avoid problems with the particulate filter.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 04:00:48 pm »
I chose the monthly option as it can be ended when you want by just stopping the payment if you sell it etc. The comprehensive with zero excess and recovery was £38/month. To be fair it wasnt much less if you went for £150 excess. I believe iirc the lump sum was around £360 but that is a yearly policy and not very flexible.
I had a monthly option on both my previous BMW's and that warranty was a s good as the new car warranty, so hopefully the Mazda will be also.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:02:20 pm by ROCKETRON »

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 04:23:32 pm »
i understand that you just take your car into dealer and they do all the claiming that is needed and just fix the car. I feel that with all the big things Mazda would probably fix them anyway as most of the problems are well documented but the warranty give you a bit more peace of mind. I have gone for comprehensive with recovery and nil excess.

I think you'll probably find that the extended warranty is NOT actually a manufacturers warranty nor indeed the dealers. It's common practice in the trade that manufactures do a deal with a 3rd party insurance company with whom the policy is actually placed whose name you'll probably find in the small print. These extended warranties also do NOT offer the comprehensiveness of the initial manufacturers for obvious reasons really i.e. the car has probably travelled tens of thousands of miles over the initial 3 year period. As an example, I had cause to make a claim on the extended warranty with a previous VW and whilst the paperwork indicated VW Insurance (a subsidary of VW) upon applying for and receiving the actual claim form itself, I noticed that it was Allianz that was providing the actual insurance.
In any event, it always pays to stick rigorously to the conditions applied to the policy i.e. service duly completed.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 08:10:58 pm »
Not wishing to contradict but the extended Toyota warranty is every bit as good as the original although it is underwritten by a third party.

I can't say the same for Mazda but they do share the same insurers so maybe it is.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:08:18 pm »
Extended warranty=very sensible with a Mazda.  ;)
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 05:16:32 pm »
Well my car is now just coming up to three years and Mazda offered me 12 months warranty extension...£331 all in including roadside assistance. I shopped around and found Motoreasy offering similar cover for £327 although the policy wording implied roadside recovery would only be eligible if the particular car parts in the policy had failed whereas Mazda roadside is (so far as I know) 'proper' recovery where it doesn't matter what's caused you to be immobile they'll recover you anyway.

So have renewed with Mazda. £330 is a large lump sum but like any insurance you may a judgement about the cost and likelihood of major failure. Given historic issues with oil dilution, turbos and other expensive stuff I thought it was wise to have the warranty. I hope not to need it.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
Well my car is now just coming up to three years and Mazda offered me 12 months warranty extension...£331 all in including roadside assistance.

It's my understanding that the roadside assistance is ongoing throughout your ownership of the vehicle on the proviso that the vehicle is serviced by a Mazda dealer at the prescribed intervals and is a separate entity to the guarantee extended or otherwise.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline ROCKETRON

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:55:59 pm »
i am not sure that the recovery continues just by having a mazda service. Not heard of that before but maybe.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:42 pm »
Doesn't seem that way...the renewal page on the website had a definite tick box for roadside which added to the price of the warranty extension. If roadside is provided anyway then I've been conned. I'm sure it isn;t in the UK at least as the My Mazda app always showed my roadside expiring in Jan 2017.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:15:08 pm by twabrigs »

Offline Deeps

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »
i am not sure that the recovery continues just by having a mazda service. Not heard of that before but maybe.

No you are correct. I've just had a look at the Mazda UK and German websites and yes, the Roadside Assistance conditions are different. In the UK, as as been pointed out, the assistance is valid for 3 years whereas here in Germany it's valid for the lifetime of the vehicle renewed automatically every 12 months on completion of the prescribed service. Sorry guys looks as though you're getting a bit of a green rub.

Offline twabrigs

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 03:32:28 pm »
Ah well, new regime post Brexit when good ole Blighty negotiates the finest trade and consumer deals in the world... ???

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 03:32:28 pm »