Author Topic: You couldn't make this up !  (Read 27220 times)

Offline ebod

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
You couldn't make this up !
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:49:14 pm »
Hi all , only 2nd topic on this forum after 24hrs of ownership.

So.....in my intro post I say yesterday I bought a 107k miles motor from the auctions and the nav card was missing (along with the towbar key )

Using the snippets of history I had in the auction paperwork pack, I managed to track down the original owner using facebook. I messaged him politely and said no stress if he didn't want to reply. Anyhow he turned out to be a top bloke who by shear coincidence was working away in a long term project ( for Babcocks ) about a mile from my house. Not only did he have the nav disc in the gear he'd just emptied out of the car, but he also gave me the full low down on my newly acquired 5. After 2mins on the phone, he actually came round to my house for a chat...

He was supposed to have the car on a 4yr lease and loved it to bits. It had been fine for 3yrs, but totally out of nowhere at 106k miles ( last serviced at 99k miles ), the engine light came on and it broke down actually near where I live. So he took it to the local Mazda dealer in Oldham and actual fact the engine had expired.
At the cost of mega thousands, its just had a full new engine fitted a thousand miles ago. The work was done by Dragon Engines in Chesterfield.

So upon double checking its Lex Autolease history printout, sure enough it had a new engine assy at 106k along with new radiator. Also upon further scrutiny, I note there had been new injectors fitted at 82k miles. I don't actually know whether these got replaced again when the engine got replaced.
One of the things the original owner pointed out to me was the lack of temperature display. He felt if he had seen a rising temperature gauge he would have acted upon it.

So whilst I've just learnt I've got a 1000 mile engine and worse case 25kmiles injectors, this all proves extremely sobering about how fragile these engines can be.

He was smitten with the car, but what happened was Lex wanted to write it off their books and he had to get a new lease instead. He rolled up in a KIA Sportage...so maybe LEX have blocked CX-5's ??

I now have working nav , but he pointed out where the towbar key should have been stashed, however some scumbag had lifted it, so its now attached for life...

My mission will be find out a bit more info about Dragon Engines and what physical parts they replace on an engine replacement, plus research about disabling the DPF/EGR emissions stuff.  Regarding Injectors, I did read up on them being a new kind/type , but clearly they don't last very long so I need to be prepared to find out about replacements..

Hope this helps the long term owners of CX-5's.:-D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:07:46 pm by ebod »
2013 2.2d 175 Sport Nav Arctic White
1998 1.8iS MX-5 NB Twilight Blue

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
Re: You couldn't make this up !
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:08:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum ebod,

That's a turn up for their books, new engine cool, ive had a cx 5 from launch and love it just as much as they day we picked it up, if you ain't going to use the towbar at all why not remove it joblot?  Must be do-able?
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline ebod

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:39:38 pm »
Actually I do have a 6x4' trailer in my mum's garage with 8man tent , camping fridge etc etc. So its needed for hookup & go camping, although I need to get an 11>7pin adapter as the electrics on the CX5 are oldskool twin plug.
Its been on it for 3yrs so just looks a bit scabby/rusty now.

Reason the trailer is in my mums garage? that's because I got this in mine :-)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 03:10:24 am »
For me, the unanswered question is why did it break down?  Did it sound rough, did it go bang, did it have no oil or from his comments, no oil etc, etc.  I can't conclude thhat the engines are fragile without knowing.   There's a big difference between to King one of these around the country on business and never looking under the bonnet or using it as a private car and taking good care of it.

I used to work for a company that had a big fleet of leased cars and it never ceased to amaze me just how many fell to bits prematurely. They just didn't give a monkeys. The guy you met is obviously nice but it's human nature, if your down south in a company car, it's going to have to get you back up north as quick as possible. The good thing is, you know some history and if you treat it well it should last you years.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56:33 am »
Mazda diesels have been failing for a very long time.

I knew about the pre sky active engine problems but naturally thought the new engine would be sorted, unfortunately it hasn't as a lot have failed. Pre skyactive engines could have failing injector seals which resulted in much getting into the oil sump, and inturn blocking the "filter" for the oil pick up.

Apparently this strainer was undersized, it was recommened that the sump pan was dropped to give it a cleaning before a oil change. Engines could fail under 40K miles.

But again i'm hoping since the claims that a batch of faulty cams were fitted, and faulty vacuum pumps, not to mention failing emission sensors, have all be sorted that the latest cars are actually going to be reliable.

All these failures i have mentioned are reported on the whirlpool, honest john, and mazda 247 forums.

One common fault is low oil pressure due to oil dilution, while it might sound like a sound move to remove the DPF it is now illegal to do so, and a MOT failure if discovered.
I have no idea about the EGR, but seeing as i've never had one fail on any car i don't see it as an issue.

Weekly engine oil checks are a must with this engine, and i believe so are oil changes well below the 12.5K intervals recommended.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:05:29 am by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline ebod

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:27:16 pm »
The chap who owned it was genuinely gutted he had to let it go. He could have easily told me that its been a total pain and constantly letting him down, but I clearly sensed on the whole its been a reliable car for him.

That being said, he was either Electrical or Civil engineering biased an nothing he said made me thing he did his own checks, so it was a case of its been driven and just handed in to a dealer every 12.5K miles.  The guy lived in Thorne ( Doncaster ) and was working near Todmorden, so its had been running across A1/M62 daily and presumably not getting choked up on small runs.

This is my 1st DPF based diesel ( I've successfully avoided them so far ). But I'm yet to experience a 're-gen' so I don't even know what actually happens.

I've also contacted Dragon Engines today and blagged a chat with sales. They confirmed to me that my car had had a new 'long engine'. I believe that this means all the ancils were transferred across from the old engine, but 'assuming' a long engine included a new timing chain/water pump/flywheel. Maybe somebody in the auto trade could comment....

Going back to my cars LEX history, if I'm to ignore routine stuff, the key parts its had are:-

- pads seem to be needed ~25k miles, but it had full set of discs & pads at 100k
- defective reversing camera at 71k miles
- Oil pressure relief valve & wiring loom repair at 80k
- Injectors (ALL) at 82k miles
- Alternator at 102k miles
- Engine Assy & Radiator ( presume overheat popped it ) at 106.6k miles
> I've just got it at 106.7k miles so essentially its just come straight out of Dragon Engines and gone straight into auction as the owner just got a new lease whilst it was on dock.

So for my meagre bucks, I've picked up a motor which has essentially had the reset button pressed. I have a brand new engine/alternator/radiator and injectors with ~25kmiles. But turbos & presumably DPF system original.

If I can keep on top of this DPF issue and fully understand how it works , understand what signs to watch for , then I might just be able to get some decent miles out of this car. But I certainly have no confidence at this time that I will be able to avoid a total implosion, and if this happens..it could write the car off.

Finally, the Dragon Sales guy also confirmed it was illegal ( not sure if classed as criminal illegal??) to disable the DPF for an MOT. But I don't know whether this was some recent time based ruling. I am aware that people running I-DTEC 2.2 Honda's are getting their DPF's inner gubbins hollowed out and ECU's mapped to bypass it. So some people are getting around it.

Finally_Finally....I'm considering trying to ask either Dragon or Mazda Oldham ( Vantage ) to give me the bill for the engine work on the hope/expectation that it carried some kind of warranty for workmanship, even if its only 3/6/9/12 months. Do you think I'd have decent grounds to ask for this???

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:46:35 pm »
If you don't ask you don't get but they may take the opportunity to get out of it.

You'll know it's doing a regen because the engine note will change, the istop will stop working and the fuel consumption will go through the roof. If you pull up you will smell hot metal.

I've got some pdf's about the DPF system but I can't get to my computer before Sunday so you might have to remind me. You can force a regen if it blocks but it's a scary process, it goes off on one!
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 08:29:03 pm »
Regens occur around every 250 miles, i know a regen is operating when the exhaust note changes on the overrun, it makes a bubbling noise.
And the average read out drops rapidly.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 08:47:14 pm »
I suggest you have a read through this .     

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?board=55.0

It might help you to understand the basics and give you a few tips.  :)

Offline Gmsal

• Engine: 2.2L 150ps
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 05:30:14 pm »
Hi all , only 2nd topic on this forum after 24hrs of ownership.

So.....in my intro post I say yesterday I bought a 107k miles motor from the auctions and the nav card was missing (along with the towbar key )

Using the snippets of history I had in the auction paperwork pack, I managed to track down the original owner using facebook. I messaged him politely and said no stress if he didn't want to reply. Anyhow he turned out to be a top bloke who by shear coincidence was working away in a long term project ( for Babcocks ) about a mile from my house. Not only did he have the nav disc in the gear he'd just emptied out of the car, but he also gave me the full low down on my newly acquired 5. After 2mins on the phone, he actually came round to my house for a chat...

He was supposed to have the car on a 4yr lease and loved it to bits. It had been fine for 3yrs, but totally out of nowhere at 106k miles ( last serviced at 99k miles ), the engine light came on and it broke down actually near where I live. So he took it to the local Mazda dealer in Oldham and actual fact the engine had expired.
At the cost of mega thousands, its just had a full new engine fitted a thousand miles ago. The work was done by Dragon Engines in Chesterfield.

So upon double checking its Lex Autolease history printout, sure enough it had a new engine assy at 106k along with new radiator. Also upon further scrutiny, I note there had been new injectors fitted at 82k miles. I don't actually know whether these got replaced again when the engine got replaced.
One of the things the original owner pointed out to me was the lack of temperature display. He felt if he had seen a rising temperature gauge he would have acted upon it.

So whilst I've just learnt I've got a 1000 mile engine and worse case 25kmiles injectors, this all proves extremely sobering about how fragile these engines can be.

He was smitten with the car, but what happened was Lex wanted to write it off their books and he had to get a new lease instead. He rolled up in a KIA Sportage...so maybe LEX have blocked CX-5's ??

I now have working nav , but he pointed out where the towbar key should have been stashed, however some scumbag had lifted it, so its now attached for life...

My mission will be find out a bit more info about Dragon Engines and what physical parts they replace on an engine replacement, plus research about disabling the DPF/EGR emissions stuff.  Regarding Injectors, I did read up on them being a new kind/type , but clearly they don't last very long so I need to be prepared to find out about replacements..

Hope this helps the long term owners of CX-5's.:-D
Interesting.
I had my fuel injectors changed at around 10,000 miles under warranty, as a DPF fault kept appearing on the dashboard.

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 10:51:29 am »
If you ever figure out how to get the tow bar neck off i would love to know :) I am in same situation where it has a detatchable neck but no key for it. I want to get a tow bar mounted cycle carrier but this would only be used very occasionally so would love to be able to remove the tow bar until i want it but not remove the whole assembly...

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »
If you ever figure out how to get the tow bar neck off i would love to know :) I am in same situation where it has a detatchable neck but no key for it. I want to get a tow bar mounted cycle carrier but this would only be used very occasionally so would love to be able to remove the tow bar until i want it but not remove the whole assembly...

Click on the link in my post here (2nd down) and look for the top tab which says funnily enough 'Spare Keys'. Follow the instructions, fill in the form, send your money and Bob's You Uncle. http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=532.msg3955#msg3955
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »