Author Topic: ECU misbehaving?  (Read 14463 times)

Offline Geoff.Rawlings

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
ECU misbehaving?
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:07:26 pm »
New to the forum having just bought a new CX-5 recently so please forgive me if this has cropped up before.
Occasionally the i-stop doesn't, maybe for a whole day then on others it re-starts without me touching anything.  The nav screen sometimes won't load all day but the next is fine.  The most worrying is a hesitation in the throttle when cruising gently.  The worst was when the car hesitated while pulling out of a junction onto a main road.  Just a fraction of a second when the car has to think about things before deciding that I really do want to go.  Has anyone experienced this before?  It is booked in for a diagnostic check tomorrow but on the 'phone it sounded as though this is a new thing they've never heard of.

Offline Deepjoy22

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: ECU misbehaving?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:21:47 pm »
Hi Geoff and welcome.  I'm abroad at the moment so can't easily find what I need to point you at.

But I have the same model as you and think it's a great car.  There is plenty on here both about iStop and Navigation problems (sorted for me when I upgraded to new firmware). 

I'm sure within the next day you'll get the pointers you need from others on here.  It's a good source of info and has some very knowledgable members.

I'm confident you'll be up and running without the current stress very soon.

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:23:43 pm »
Everyone...

Rather than this posting diverting off in many directions, if you know of a specific posting or area that you can point the OP to please just post a link.

There are 3 distinct questions here that I know have all been dealt with and discussed elsewhere on the forum. Please help the OP to avoid receiving conflicting information and just point him in the right direction.

Here are some relevant topics, but there are more that can be found by using the search function on the home page

I-Stop and Hesitation issues      http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=117.0

Nav Screen problems               http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=284.msg2247#msg2247

Thanks
Willpower

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 11:24:29 am »
Am I OK to ask what fuel he’s using Will?  I think I’ve asked it in another post but I can’t remember if the car was blue or not :-(
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Watching events
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »
The demise of a Weasel.  And the water is blue...

Offline Geoff.Rawlings

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 03:02:35 pm »
Thanks for the links Willpower.  I had already spotted them when I was searching and they don't really cover my problems.  I've just collected the car from the dealer who re-booted the nav and checked the battery condition for the i-stop but everything "was within limits".  Basically they said to keep my fingers crossed.  Here goes.
BTW I have only had to fill the car twice.  First time at Sainsbury, the second with BP Ultimate.  Still less that 1000 mile on the clock.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Watching events
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »
OK Geoff no problems. Of course individual answers are sometimes difficult to find. It might be that no one on the forum has experienced exactly what you are dealing with. All we can hope is that we may be of some assistance in helping you to discover the solutions. If only to point out things where there is no need to worry.
Each circumstance is different to some degree, There is never a "one solution fits all"

Hope all goes well for you and that you might continue to find the forum a useful resource, despite some gratuitous sarcasm.

Offline Anchorman

• Year: 2018
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:25:54 pm »
You've got gangly legs Will :-)

Geoff. Has anything else been done since you had it?  There are a raft of thin pipes on the end of the engine and any one of them detached will cause turbo lag.  Also, stay with that good diesel.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Geoff.Rawlings

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 03:32:50 pm »
Well, the local dealer has re-set the sat-nav and it seems to be behaving.  The i-stop however is still completely random.  It will stop when the engine is cold and then decides not to stop at the lights when it is hot.  Sometimes, when it is stopped, it will re-start when nothing (brake, clutch, throttle, & etc) has been touched.  On the LCD display, there is an occasional appearance of what looks like a half-full battery symbol up near the top-right corner.  There is nothing in the manuals about this.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 03:46:07 pm »
On the LCD display, there is an occasional appearance of what looks like a half-full battery symbol up near the top-right corner.  There is nothing in the manuals about this.

On my display - without having sat-nav - this battery symbol reflects the state of charge of my Smartphone. Only shows when the phone is connected via BT of course.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 07:39:24 am »
You should be looking at the first option on the lhs when the main screen is up.

Athough i don't find it as clear as it could be, it does show whether istop is avaliable.
There is a list of conditions required for istop to work, one is the battery must have 80% capacity available.

If i had set up the screen i would have listed all the conditions on the screen so you could immediately see which elements were not meet.

Something i use to enjoy doing during the night shift when i was a maintenance electrical technician using excel to communicate with the many works PLC's.
On days i would sometimes be asked to modify the main production scarda screens.
The MZD system can be easily moded to do this, but i don't have the skills or equipment to do it, its a shame Mazda don't ask their customers what improvements we would like to see.

I have had an hesitation or "missfire as you can get with a petrol engine" with both cars, usually at around 2K revs, but i have never really worked out whats going on, and it doesn't occur that often.

What has the dealer done to reset the nav?

When i have had the continuous start up circle on screen, the only way i've found to stop it is to refit the original card, it has so far always worked, then i remove the original card and refit the back up, twice this has happened now and on both occasions the nav has started working.
I now always carry the spare.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:47:02 am by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Geoff.Rawlings

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
OK folks - first off, thanks for all the replies.  To date, the Sat Nav seems to be behaving itself.  That said, I don't ever rely on it, the management is an excellent navigator and enjoys using proper paper maps. As far as I am aware, all the dealer did was wipe and re-install.
As regards the hesitation, Anchorman described it as turbo lag.  It definitely isn't that, more of a mis-fuelling or pressure problem with an injector.  More akin to a sticking piston on an old SU carburettor.
The i-stop is still randomly starting and stopping with no logical reason.  I've been keeping a log of the conditions when it occurs and will pass these on to the dealer.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »