Author Topic: French Toll Roads  (Read 15373 times)

Offline DonofBourne

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
French Toll Roads
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:43:33 am »
I have obtained one of those Sanef Tolling devices for use on French motorways later this year.  It is fitted on the windscreen in the shaded area around the rear view mirror on the CX-5, and automatically activates the "Telepeage" lane barrier when exiting the French autoroutes - I think there is something similar in operation for the Dartford Tunnel/Bridge tolls, but obviously a different company.  The toll is then taken at the end of each month via Direct Debit from your bank account.  There are a few set up costs but, in theory, sounds like a foolproof way of getting along the motorway system and avoiding the horrendous queues that are waiting to pay in cash or by card, particularly in August when we are travelling.  This is the first time I will have used this system, and will feed back in September when we return - if there is anyone that has used the system already, your thoughts and experience (particularly with the CX-5) would be really appreciated - the last thing I want to do is get it wrong and face the wrath of countless French folk who are being delayed by me!
I came into this world with nothing, and have most of it left.

Offline Scottbrook

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
Re: French Toll Roads
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:51:22 pm »
I have just returned from the Dordogne yesterday and had one of those toll blippers.

The first time you approach a peage you wonder if there will be any problems , what do you do if the barrier doesn’t let you through and as you say will I incur the wrath of  those French people behind in their Renaults, Peugeots and Citroens?
No need to worry though it worked perfectly.

Just place the holder in the shaded area to the right of the rear view mirror making sure you can slide the device on and off without fouling the mirror. And don’t do what I did! Stick the thing to the windscreen then change the car the next day! (But that is a another story)

One thing to be aware of is that the activation point differs from toll to toll. The first one we went through bleeped and opened as soon as we entered, which was a great relief but the next one we approached nothing happened, my heart sank and all my fears seemed to be coming true. Wondering what to do we crept forward looking for someone to help then when the car was almost at the barrier it bleeped and opened. Just bear that in mind.

It certainly was a help to have the device, saved having to throw change and credit cards at someone on the passenger side of the car. Just waiting for the bank statement to arrive now!

Let us know how you get on, have a great time and enjoy!

I also see you have a Soul Red CX5 like mine ..........you will get plenty of people staring at you on the Autoroutes.

We stayed at a B & B near Rouen on the way and on the return journey. The lady of the house was really taken with the car and on our second visit as soon as we arrived  said " Such a lovely car" and later when I was at the car her husband(who didn't speak much English) walked by saying "Ah la belle voiture" . I have to say I agree with them!!

Offline DonofBourne

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:32 am »
Many thanks for this response - I am really reassured to know that it will work!

Soul Red was my partners choice (even though she never drives my cars!) and I have to say that it really does make the CX5 stand out from the crowd and emphasise its lines - which are (to me, anyway) lovely. 

Offline deepeg59

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:32:27 am »
I've just returned from a trip to Provence using the motorways as the fastest way of getting there. I too have an APRR 'liberte' badge. I totally endorse Scottbrook's comments - its the best thing we ever did instead of having to queue up for a ticket or to pay. HAve been several times on many long journeys and it is a real bonus and time saver.

Offline DonofBourne

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 07:24:39 pm »
As mentioned previously, am now back from France and pleased to say that the blipper worked brilliantly throughout, once the initial palpitations were overcome as I crept through the first Telepeage at a snail's pace. Thanks for the wise words beforehand - as we travelled on a very busy August Saturday, it was reassuring to know just how good these things are.

Don

Offline Catamong

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:53 pm »
I looked into this as I drive in France probably about 10 times every year, but IMHO, the cost was a tad on the high side, the 1st year charge being a minimum of 46 euros, plus the toll charge, (with no discount)..ouch..!! ???

I now always go through the Credit Card toll booth, the queues are much shorter than the Cash toll booth, as the vast majority of UK motorists on the A26 to and from Calais will always pick the Cash queue.

IMHO it's simply not worth it unless you've either got money to burn or you're a resident of France.

Offline deepeg59

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:54:07 pm »
We only pay the standard motorway toll - no fees and the unit from APRR was something like 5euros. Don't know if different Motorway owners have different fees or standing charges for their units though.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:54:07 pm »