Author Topic: Newbie about to buy  (Read 14332 times)

Offline Darklordmick

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Clear Water Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Newbie about to buy
« on: January 04, 2017, 10:07:52 pm »
Hi
I'm about to ditch my Bmw 320msport as it's too low and I'm struggling to get out of it with my back Im about buy my 1st Mazda....I'm looking at the cx5

I was thinking of going back to the Qashqai but the Mazda has really got my attention

Is there anything I should be aware of?
I can't afford a new model so it will be 12/13/14 model price depending

Trim wise I'm thinking 2.2d Manual sport or sport nav but can't really work out what the difference between the two?

Thanks in advance

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
Re: Newbie about to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
Hi,

Look through forum tabs for common problems and issues that members have encountered, first thing I would ask is what is your mileage per Year?  If it's low then I would look at or test drive a petrol model.

As far as I know all sport models have same trim with a choice of 2 colours of leather, black and stone ( cream )and sat nav as standard, it's other trims that sat nav can be a option.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:25:45 pm by rmvf »
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline ROCKETRON

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 05:13:37 pm »
Mileage just has to include some long runs to have a diesel, you dont have to do a high total mileage. The latest software doesn;t seem to do as many regens as they used to, i have found that they are shorter too. I haven't heard of sumps filling with diesel when doing short runs for a long while so it seems that has been sorted. I came from a BMW 320m-sport and have loved the CX5 and dont consider it in anyway inferior. It also has all the options that would make the equivalent BMW x3 £45000+.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 05:32:54 pm »
I haven't heard of sumps filling with diesel when doing short runs for a long while so it seems that has been sorted.

Sadly the theme is still ongoing when reading other forums. Personally I forget all about this every year or 20.000km oil change business and rather have it done every 10.000km. OK, costs me money that I'd rather invest elsewhere but consider it well spent if the only other option is sitting parked up on the roadside awaiting road side assistance to arrive regardless of whether or not Mazda pick up the tab for the hitch.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Bert321

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:24:11 pm »
....I'm looking at the cx5
Is there anything I should be aware of?
I can't afford a new model so it will be 12/13/14 model price depending

Trim wise I'm thinking 2.2d Manual sport or sport nav but can't really work out what the difference between the two?

Timing chain stretch problems on the diesel, reportedly cured around 2014, although some people not convinced about the cure.  Camshafts made from butter, again, reportedly cured.  Have a browse around this site, and others for the Mazda 6 and 3, both of them can be fitted with the same 2.2 lump.

I'm pretty sure the difference between the sports nav and the sport is merely the addition of the nav.  That's certainly the case on the current Mazda 3 SE-L and SE-L nav anyway.

Offline Darklordmick

• Colour: Clear Water Blue Metallic
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:45:38 pm »
Thank you for the replies...my last 3 cars were diesel...1manual and 2 autos...but going back to manual...
Mileage wise I probably cover 10/12k....

ive got a test drive tomoz, I torn between white or blue right now...

No red for me or any more black...my bmw was a real sod to keep clean...

I did read about oil dilution on here..but apparently that's sorted if oil change every year ? Am I right?

Offline Bert321

• Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 03:30:14 am »
I did read about oil dilution on here..but apparently that's sorted if oil change every year ? Am I right?

Oil dilution is due to failed DPF are-gens. If you do lots of short runs you'll interrupt the procedure and it'll drop the diesel into the sump. My 2015 Mazda 6 did a re-gen about every 150 miles. I've only just got my CX-5 so can't say how often it'll do it, but it did one on the way to work today. The oil dipstick has an X mark above the usual high mark so you can monitor it.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:43:01 am »

See my earlier post
. The handbook states that a service - and that includes an oil change - is due annually or every 20,000km whichever comes soonest.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:43:01 am »