Author Topic: Temp Gauge & Speed Limit  (Read 18067 times)

Offline Gwynno

• 5 miles west of Chester
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
Temp Gauge & Speed Limit
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:28:41 am »
Had my CX-5 a week now - so far very pleased
A couple of thing I've not figure out yet

1)  Where is the temp gauge (I'v always kept an eye on this - but none to be seen ?)
2)  My Sat Nav does not show Road Speed Limits
     - is this a hidden option or extra sub ?

Not figured adaptive lights and a few other bits yet - small steps  :)

Thanks

Gwyn
CX-5 Novice but learning the featues

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Temp Gauge & Speed Limit
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:37:49 am »
There is in fact NO temperature gauge. What you will see instead is a blue light indication in the instrument panel to indicate that the water is below a determined temperature. It should work as in let's say 'normal' cars in that the thermostat valve will remain closed i.e no water circulation until the water temp is up to norm. On the CX-5 this happens very quickly but until the blue light extinguishes be considerate in your driving style i.e. no pedal to the metal lol. This same instrument indication will start flashing in red and warning beeps given when temperature is exceeded. This is all explained more fully in the handbook.

Sorry, someone else will have to advise regarding the Sat Nav as this is something I specifically didn't want.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:39:42 am by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Ant

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:48:05 am »
Hi and welcome.

There's no temp gauge on the CX-5 - just a warning light that you've probably seen which shows blue when the engine is cold and which I believe, flashes or shows red if the engine temp gets too high.

Other forum members have mentioned the lack of speed limit warning in the Mazda satnav system where it was part of the previous Tomtom version (the Mazda system was introduced with facelift model from 1 April 2015). I think you can set the MZD Connect system to warn audibly if you are exceeding the speed limit. (I'm sure I found this the other day but switched it off again!)

My car doesn't have adaptive headlights but there are threads on here where owners say good things about them!

Hope you enjoy your new car.

Offline Gwynno

• 5 miles west of Chester
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:12:46 am »
Thanks for the responses - very helpful. Miss not having a temp gauge though ::)

There is so much reliance on electronics in new cars, whilst it is good that there is more safety so that when we make mistakes the outcome is not as bad as it might be, but it means we become less skilled at driving and worse we ignorantly drive blissfully unaware of the dangers of poor road condition's etc.  And,as I found myself we now spend too much time looking at our dashboards (although in my defense I think this is new car syndrome).

Oh the joy of throwing a real wheel drive Ford Capri around a roundabout and gauging the return to straight line as you exit (hopefully the right one). 

Place soap box back in boot - have a nice Day  :)   
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:34:38 am by Gwynno »
CX-5 Novice but learning the featues

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:22:09 am »
I also missed the temp gauge at first but have now gotten used to not having it. When giving it more thought, the temp gauges of old were analogue devices anyway so I'm not really sure how accurate they really were to be honest. For me the absence of an oil gauge is of more importance as towing places a lot more stress on the engine in the warm summer months and I recall observing the oil gauge on my previous Touran rising well above normal when climbing long hills so it would have been nice to have been able to monitor this in the CX-5. Ah well, can't have everything I suppose.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:46:50 am »
Analogue ? ?   :) :)      This was Analogue ! 

Offline Ant

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:51:52 pm »
Hmmm...nice! Maybe not quite in keeping with the rest of the CX-5’s styling!

After replying to Gwynno's original post, I spend a few minutes doing a bit of armchair-based web research in to temp gauges using the car's diagnostic port and it seems there are several possibilities. You can get additional units that plug into OBD2 port to show all kinds of data (including water temp) some of which are head up display versions that project onto the windscreen. Another method is to use an OBD2 wireless or Bluetooth adapter with smart phone app (of which there are several for IOS and Android and which is the approach that interests me the most). All of these would be completely portable to other cars (assuming they use the same OBD2 standard) which is an extra benefit.

I haven't used any of these so cannot endorse any but if you want to know a bit more about what's going on with your car/engine, it appears there are ways you you can do so for a relatively little outlay. (The wireless/Bluetooth adapters start at about £20 depending on the the type and some of the apps are free). 

Just a couple of points to note: It appears that not all of the adapters work with IOS so if you're an Apple/ iPhone user, you may need to check carefully that you're buying the right one. Android phones seem to be more straightforward. Secondly, I read that the OBD2 port is powered constantly, even with the ignition off and the car locked so something plugged in that's drawing power could drain the battery over time and may therefore need to be removed when not in use. The OBD2 port on the CX-5 is just beneath the lower kick panel, below and to the left of the bonnet release.

Offline FireDiamondUK

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Zeal Red Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 11:18:37 am »
Hmmm...nice! Maybe not quite in keeping with the rest of the CX-5’s styling!

After replying to Gwynno's original post, I spend a few minutes doing a bit of armchair-based web research in to temp gauges using the car's diagnostic port and it seems there are several possibilities. You can get additional units that plug into OBD2 port to show all kinds of data (including water temp) some of which are head up display versions that project onto the windscreen. Another method is to use an OBD2 wireless or Bluetooth adapter with smart phone app (of which there are several for IOS and Android and which is the approach that interests me the most). All of these would be completely portable to other cars (assuming they use the same OBD2 standard) which is an extra benefit.

I haven't used any of these so cannot endorse any but if you want to know a bit more about what's going on with your car/engine, it appears there are ways you you can do so for a relatively little outlay. (The wireless/Bluetooth adapters start at about £20 depending on the the type and some of the apps are free). 

Just a couple of points to note: It appears that not all of the adapters work with IOS so if you're an Apple/ iPhone user, you may need to check carefully that you're buying the right one. Android phones seem to be more straightforward. Secondly, I read that the OBD2 port is powered constantly, even with the ignition off and the car locked so something plugged in that's drawing power could drain the battery over time and may therefore need to be removed when not in use. The OBD2 port on the CX-5 is just beneath the lower kick panel, below and to the left of the bonnet release.

This would be the easiest way to see your coolant temp, and probably oil temp and pressure if the car measures it... Dash Command is one of the best apps for this, although it is a paid for app. There is also Torque (on android) which has a basic free version. For the OBD adapters, you need a bluetooth one for an Android phone or a WiFi one for an Apple device. This sort of set up will give you access to pretty much all the information the car reads. It will also allow you to check fault codes should you ever have an engine management light (be careful if playing with this and car is under warranty as Mazda will take a very dim view if you start clearing fault codes) Also would suggest removing the OBD device before taking to a Mazda dealer as they will blame this for any fault the car develops and may reject warranty claims...

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 11:18:37 am »