Author Topic: Newby.  (Read 10659 times)

Offline Onlyme0666

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2013
Newby.
« on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:09 pm »
Hi all. New here. Looking at changing my currant vehicle and like the look of the CX-5. Is there any thing I should be looking at to avoid . My next vehicle will be an auto due to back problems, are they any good???. Thanks in advance.

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
Re: Newby.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:51 am »
Welcome!

Depending on the age of vehicle you are looking at, just be careful of early models which had a camshaft issue (some info here http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=708.0 )

I've had 2 of the 2.2D 175 sports now, both manuals (the first had the above problem). I drove an auto of the same briefly, thought it was pretty good, but not enough to tempt me over to the dark side due to the extra cost. The manual gearbox is really good and easy to use, I have a bit of a back issue myself but it doesn't cause me any problems.

The satnav is effective in both models (IMHO), but i wouldn't advise anyone to pay for the live update subscription, its a total waste of money as its too cumbersome to use.

I do a lot of long distance mileage, so I wouldn't entertain the petrol version. Both diesels are good, though.The MPG will be nowhere near the "official" figures, but I'm averaging about 43MPG in my 175 sport after 40K miles; it's a long way short of the 54.3 official figure, but better than a lot of comparable cars.

There's quite a lot of discussion on various boards here on all these topics.

Alan

Offline twabrigs

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:55:17 pm »
Welcome indeed. BigAl's advice is very sound.

Some magazine reviews say the 150ps diesel with the smaller wheels is less harsh ride than the 175ps on 19" wheels; personally I like firm suspension and feeling the road beneath me so I'm happy with the larger wheels. Pearlescent paint is a pain to match if you are unlikely enough to have a scratch or bump.

I don't think there's any other specific things to avoid. If you are going new or nearly new consider the 3 year service plan which makes economic sense.

Happy shopping!

Offline Onlyme0666

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
Thank you for the replies. Not sure which one to go for yet. Still doing some research.  I know it will be auto with my back problems.
Again thanks for the replies. Paul.

Offline Bert321

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:54 am »
I've had a late 2014 (so it's pre-facelift) AWD Sports Nav auto for about 10 months.  It returns about 40mpg, maybe 45 in summer if I'm really light footed.  I previously owned a 2015 (so that one was post-facelift) Mazda 6 Sports Nav auto, and we also have a 2015 Mazda 3 SE-L petrol auto.
The auto box in all of them is great, and it changes gears predictably, quickly and as expected.  The 'creep' works well, and holds against any hill-start I encounter in normal driving.
After the first couple of thousand miles I swapped the 19" wheels on mine for the 17" wheels from the lesser spec model winter wheels - the ride is quite a bit softer, road noise about the same, steering a bit heavier, not quite as much road feedback but still more than enough.  Personally I prefer the the softer ride and I'm sticking with the 17's.
Spec wise, I could get by with the 2WD SE-L, and I reckon the only thing I'd miss is the heated seats and the dimming rear view mirror (unless that's included in the SE-L).  I'd maybe miss the keyless entry and the reversing camera a bit.  The self-turning headlights are only really of any use on twisty B-roads (but they're xenons so they're really good, they shine further than the LED's in the 6 although the LED's are brighter), the Bose system isn't that great (the one in the facelift 6 was really good tho), I prefer cloth seats in a car, and small things like all windows having one-touch opening I can live without.
Mine also has the safety pack.  The auto dipping headlights are great on A/B-roads, but on motorways I often still need to dip them myself, plus they don't switch on high beam if the screen has some steaming up inside or some frost on the outside.  The lane departure system is a bit annoying since my commute is in the middle of the night on completely empty roads and it beeps at me for not indicating when joining a slip road etc.  I'd probably switch it back on for a long motorway drive if I was tired tho.  The blind spot monitor only works if the car approaching from behind does so at a speed reasonably faster than me so it can't be completely trusted.
It's a great car to drive - I find it very comfortable, the high seating position gives a great view and seems to be a bit above the glare of oncoming headlights.  SWMBO also loves it, even tho she didn't take to the 6. There are quite a few horror stories around on the diesel engine tho, and I wouldn't own one out of warranty.
Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:27:42 am by Bert321 »

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:54 am »