Author Topic: Click when steering left at low speed  (Read 11435 times)

Offline routerunner

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
Click when steering left at low speed
« on: September 13, 2018, 09:01:33 pm »
Today I've started to experience this very subtle but noticeable click sound every time I steer left. Has anyone noticed something similar? It does happen all the time and it was definitively not there yesterday.

Cheers
Eddy
Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline Anchorman

• Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Click when steering left at low speed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:40 am »
Today I've started to experience this very subtle but noticeable click sound every time I steer left. Has anyone noticed something similar? It does happen all the time and it was definitively not there yesterday.

Cheers
Eddy

There’s a TSB for a mod on the springs Eddy.  Have a word with the dealer about it but I’ll find you the TAB later if you need it.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline routerunner

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 06:18:19 pm »
There’s a TSB for a mod on the springs Eddy.  Have a word with the dealer about it but I’ll find you the TAB later if you need it.

Many thanks for the info, today is not doing it  :-\...mah... I've found others on the net reporting a click, even a video on youTube, but mine when does happen, is more subtle...it's like something rotating along the steering wheel and suddenly stop making the noise, if you see what I mean...

Cheers
Eddy
Everyone is a damn fool for 5 minutes a day. Wisdom consists in not exceeding that limit.

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:31:25 am »
The click is caused by the spring making contact with the shock absorber so they add a plastic sleeve to make it slip rather than “twang” on the spring.  Whether it does it depends on how much moisture is about.

Offline routerunner

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:10:42 am »
The click is caused by the spring making contact with the shock absorber so they add a plastic sleeve to make it slip rather than “twang” on the spring.  Whether it does it depends on how much moisture is about.
After you clear explanation that makes a lot of sense now :D, also some people claimed similar issue after leaving the car a whole day under the sun which probably causes moisture to completely dry out?

Do you reckon it is easy enough to lubricate the plastic sleeve myself or is better to go to the dealer? Or maybe during my next service in 5/6 months?

Cheers
Eddy

Offline Anchorman

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »
After you clear explanation that makes a lot of sense now :D, also some people claimed similar issue after leaving the car a whole day under the sun which probably causes moisture to completely dry out?

Do you reckon it is easy enough to lubricate the plastic sleeve myself or is better to go to the dealer? Or maybe during my next service in 5/6 months?

Cheers
Eddy

Mine does it now and again Eddy especially at low speed round a tight corner like turning out at a junction or shunting into a car parking spot.  It varies from a dull clunk to twanging noise but because I know what it is, it doesn’t bother me.  I’ll attach the bulletin so you can see this bit of plastic they glue to the spring but to be honest, it depends if you get conscientious Colin or spotty Eric fitting it.  If its Eric, you might find it scrubs tyres because he didn’t re-aline it properly or even worse, he doesn’t put it back right so I always ask myself, is it really worth the bother of losing the car for a day or sitting about the dealers.  How many times can you sit in a new showroom car!  I’m being a bit flippant but with a serious undertone.  You could squirt some WD40 up the top of the spring which might cure it for a while IF you hit the right spot!  Or you could take it in and let them do the mod.  As they say on blind date “its up to you”.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »