Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 133749 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2016, 05:35:34 pm »

I also read in the handbook (7-19) that the nut tightening torque is 108-147 nm this seems quite a large range compared the my previous car a Honda CRV which was precise.

Yes noticed this too and as I get the dealer to change over my wheels twice a year i.e. winter > summer and who, following the change, always places a sticker on the steering wheel reminding me to recheck the torque after 50km I questioned the head tech over it. His advice was that they tighten to 140 nm so this figure is what I have now adopted. The caravan, also having alloy wheels, I tighten to 130 nm as stated in the handbook.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2016, 09:05:40 pm »
I take my wheels off at least once a year and have never used a torque wrench on any car, even when replacing a cylinder head or gearbox.

I'm not trying to be clever here, in fact the last engine i had reconditioned the chap who did the job also said he never used one, it was in the 70's, but i've always remembered.

I've also never lost a car or caravan wheel, now i probably will.

With my particular caravan however Bailey had at least six caravans loose a wheel!
This resulted in a recall and hence lots of forum chatter. Since then i always use a torque wrench on the caravan, my bolts are torqued to 160nm.
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 09:01:27 pm »
...speaking of wheel torque, that brings me nicely to my latest mod - wheel spacers!

Since buying my CX-5 I've thought that whilst the Mazda is a very nice looking car, it's always looked a bit 'skinny' around the lower half - particularly directly from the back, where it looks as if it might fall over in a breeze!

See what I mean?

Another couple of photos that shows the standard setup - the wheels sit pretty far inside the arches. Some H&R wheel spacers came up for sale on here earlier this week, so I decided to take the plunge!

I decided to give the arch liners and inside of the wheels a good clean whilst I had the wheels off the car. And now for the after shots!

So much better, although I see the car badly needs a good clean! Fitting wasn't very difficult, I suppose the hardest part was forking out for all the kit!

(all wheel nuts torqued to 130Nm :) )
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline rmvf

• Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:55 pm »
Looking good Richard, I have mud flaps all round on the 2012 car and I think the rear flaps make the skinny look more apparent, hence not putting them on the latest car. I think the spacers are spot on anymore and it would probably require wheel arch extensions, glad your happy with results, last Tuesday dealers dropped off a soul red cx5 with stone leather lovely it was like a cx5 meet out side our house.lol
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Offline vbl

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 10:16:34 pm »
Just sold my 2014 CX5 on which I added sidebars, wind deflectors, DRLs that fit where fogs are - all purchased online. Also had Alloygaters fitted professionally, fold back wing mirrors and added space saver tire.
Then went and sold the car but took most of the things off before sale. Everything fitted onto my new CX5 apart from DRLs as the part where the fog lights are is slightly different.
I will not be fitting wind deflectors on this car as I found that the space between the wing mirror and door frame is narrow and gets obscured by dark deflectors.
For the new CX5 I have ordered another set of DRLs and will be having wing mirrors fitted with auto function.
Also had dash cam hardwired as there is no lighter socket available in the front part of the car.

Edit :  Please read this. http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=64.0    Thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:36:10 pm by Willpower »

Offline zak

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2016, 11:18:24 am »
Orders arrived. Just a little stick em up DIY.

Edit : I'm sorry to do this to you on your first posting in this section, but please read this.   http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=64.0    Thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:05:46 pm by Willpower »

Offline Deeps

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 05:36:42 pm »
Today I introduced Hansel to Gretel followed by taking them both for a wash and brush up ready for the caravan season to get into full swing. This was the first tow with an automatic car and I have to say that it tows beautifully. The lighting makes the caravan look a touch grey although in reality both it and the car are whiter than white.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:47:49 pm by Deeps »
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline Willpower

• East Anglia Mountain Rescue Team
  • Administrator
  • Watching events
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »
Smart. 

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:21 pm »
Next up on my list, footwell illumination! I'd read about the rubbish official CX-5 red led fittings, so I decided to try the white LED version instead (as used in the CX-3, part numbers below). My car had the illuminated sill plates already so installation was incredibly easy.

The LED bulbs and connectors, this is what's included in the kit I bought. Cars without sill plates will need a kit that includes a wiring loom to go to the body control module in the back of the car.

A 29mm hole drilled in each kick plate and the LED fitted, then the connection is made using the harness shown above to join the LEDs to the sill plate wiring

They're quite subtle but still light up the footwells nicely (along with all the dirt on the carpets!) and are warm white to match the OEM incandescent bulbs so aren't a perfect match for my cool white interior bulbs.

Part numbers:
CX-3 White LED welcome illumination (bulbs and connectors only, for cars with illuminated sill plates) C851-V7-057, along with the extension kit C830-V7-700 for connection to the sill wiring. If your car doesn't have sill plates you'll need a kit including a harness and fuse to connect to the BCM.
Now I'll need some nice aluminium pedals to go with the lights!
Versatuner 175bhp map, H&R Wheel Spacers, Red Ambient Lighting, Sony XAV-AX100, Upgraded speakers, Leather Handbrake/Gearlever Gaiters + Armrest, Red Door Piping LED Interior/Exterior Lighting, Exhaust Tips...and about 50kg of sound deadening!

Offline Deeps

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2016, 08:12:21 am »
As a matter of interest, Richard, what mileage is showing on the clock? Your car appears to spend more time stationary on the drive having bits and bobs added to it than actually out on the road LOL. And dirty carpets - tut tut - thought you'd at least be wearing slippers when sitting in the car. Other than that - the car looks very nice although for the amount of time that I drop something in the foot-wells, a torch does just fine. All said lighthearted of course.  ;D

Offline rmvf

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2016, 11:50:16 am »
Wow that's bright Richard, cool, ive got the red ones in the 4 year old, my pet hate is the light that comes thru below the steering wheel, Im planning on putting a nice piece of black leather in behind so wheel adjustment can still be made. I also keep a bright mini torch in dash comes in handy for outside as well as in should something unplanned happen during a trip. yeah the mats magnet for dirt, ive got both mazda types and fine the cheaper ones the bits stay on top where the plush ones the dirt can soak in more. Just putting it out there, I would like to upgrade the boot light to suit the 2016 model, wonder if anyone else has done it yet other than Richard?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:28:54 am by rmvf »

Offline twabrigs

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 03:53:17 pm »
would like to upgrade the boot light to suit the 2016 model, wonder if anyone else has done it yet?

Your man Richard has done that too - see page 1 of this very thread!

Offline rmvf

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 01:21:42 am »
Yeah I saw that but Im more thinking of having it in the tailgate and blanking original like the idea of being able to switch off and not having to reach into boot. I will go see the dealer next month and ask about it. If it's a no go then I will copy Richards way

Offline RichardCX5

• New CX5 Owner Feb 2016
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2016, 06:54:08 pm »
As a matter of interest, Richard, what mileage is showing on the clock? Your car appears to spend more time stationary on the drive having bits and bobs added to it than actually out on the road LOL. And dirty carpets - tut tut - thought you'd at least be wearing slippers when sitting in the car. Other than that - the car looks very nice although for the amount of time that I drop something in the foot-wells, a torch does just fine. All said lighthearted of course.  ;D

That first statement did make me laugh, I think you're probably right! I do take a lot of care in my car, but I'd stop short of car slippers (I wonder if there's a patent for those...)
My aim ultimately is to fit some ambient lighting as well as the welcome lighting - my last car had a couple of red LEDs above the centre console which gave the cabin a dim red glow, doesn't sound very useful but actually was very handy for finding things whilst driving at night!

Wow that's bright Richard, cool, ive got the red ones in the 4 year old, my pet hate is the light that comes thru below the steering wheel, Im planning on putting a nice piece of black leather in behind so wheel adjustment can still be made. I also keep a bright mini torch in dash comes in handy for outside as well as in should something unplanned happen during a trip. yeah the mats magnet for dirt, ive got both mazda types and fine the cheaper ones the bits stay on top where the plush ones the dirt can soak in more. Just putting it out there, I would like to upgrade the boot light to suit the 2016 model, wonder if anyone else has done it yet other than Richard?

I can't say I noticed light leaking through when I was taking the pictures, and they go off when the doors are closed anyway - do yours stay on with the headlights?
On the note of carpets, mine has the cheap mats and yes they are a pain to try and keep clean. Again going back to my last car (I spent a lot of that too!) I had some nice ones from *delete-if-advertising* carmats4u which were a better quality carpet that the dirt sat on top of rather then getting tangled in.
Perhaps this would help in getting lighting in the tailgate?
eBay.com Tailgate LED fittings

Offline rmvf

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 08:13:35 pm »
Thanks for reply Richard, and the link that's just what I would like to fit, when it says plug and play does that mean that there's a connection already there to plug into? As for the gap you can see the gap in a couple of your pics, it won't bother 99% of people but I find it draws the eye if you know what I mean.just a little project I want to sort.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 08:13:35 pm »