Author Topic: Opening tailgate by error - too easy and range too far  (Read 4385 times)

Offline GrampyT

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2021
Opening tailgate by error - too easy and range too far
« on: November 04, 2021, 11:30:50 pm »
Hi, I have the latest 2021 GT Sport CX5 and generally I'm ok with it. However unlike my last model, the key fob has changed and the buttons are now on the thin edge rather than the flat face of the fob. This makes it easier to accidentally activate the buttons. Added to this, the range of opening the tailgate is about 50 metres, much too far for everyday useage. Now add these two factors together and you have a potential tailgate opening problem which you didn't even know about... as I did recently. Came out of the hotel to find SHOCK...HORROR.. that my tailgate was open. Probably accidentally did it in the room but now its made me paranoid about this security issue. Anyone found the same or similar ??

Offline G1DRP

• Colour: Machine Gray
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
Re: Opening tailgate by error - too easy and range too far
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 08:01:52 am »
I've done it once too. Luckily I have the Mazda app on my phone and it notified me that the tailgate was open. I also did it once on my BMW 320d, while staying in a hotel in Washington (I really miss that car, it was so quick and really good on fuel) and the boot was open all night. I was lucky that nothing was stolen!

I no longer carry my car key in my pocket, it stays in my laptop bag until I need to use the car.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:05:30 am by G1DRP »

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 05:27:30 pm »
Yes, on both my current 21 plate petrol and previous 2018 plate diesel with the older style key (which I preferred). It happened at work today from about 50ft away and through three brick walls with the key in my pocket, twice at home on Tuesday, when the key was hanging on a hook about 30ft from the car so no possibility of accidental operation!

Plus the new key design feels cheap and scratches very easily.

Alan

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 05:27:30 pm »