Author Topic: Reversing Camera  (Read 57066 times)

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
Re: Reversing Camera
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 08:35:20 am »
My camera has been built in now, must say I am very pleased with it.

Could you tell us exactly what was involved etc? For example, did it come complete with wire loom and connected directly to the wiring at the back of the car or did
everything need to be removed with the wiring threaded through to the front? And I take it that the original screen is still fitted?
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 08:43:41 am »
The camera comes with a wiring harness. The camera gets connected to this wire loom, which gets routed to the navigation unit (left side of the car, under the doors).
And yes, the original screen is still fitted. 

Offline Deeps

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 09:11:36 am »
Thanks for that. Will be off to the dealer later this morning to have a chat.  ;D
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Offline p38cyq

• Belgium
  • Colour: Machine Gray
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Year: 2022
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 09:17:42 am »
If it helps, the link below describes the general principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2v231NoI9k

Offline Deeps

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 03:30:20 pm »
Informative video but think I'll leave it to those which both a left and right hand to do the fitting.  ;D One further question though - in the latter stages of the video he makes reference
to testing all is working as it should by simultaneously pressing both the Nav and Mute buttons at which time the video appears on the screen. Is this the standard method of operating the
rear view camera when in everyday use as I seem to have assumed for some reason or the other that the camera would be engaged when reverse gear was selected?

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 04:09:09 pm »
Informative video but think I'll leave it to those which both a left and right hand to do the fitting.  ;D One further question though - in the latter stages of the video he makes reference
to testing all is working as it should by simultaneously pressing both the Nav and Mute buttons at which time the video appears on the screen. Is this the standard method of operating the
rear view camera when in everyday use as I seem to have assumed for some reason or the other that the camera would be engaged when reverse gear was selected?

Its automatic in reverse.
I'll try the nav and mute though.

Having now watched the vid the nav and mute buttons are pressed to restart the screen, not the reverse camera screen?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:52:59 pm by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 04:14:00 pm »
OK, thanks.  ;)

Offline Deeps

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 12:50:26 pm »
I had the reversing camera fitted to my CX-5 earlier this morning and first impressions are that the picture quality really is quite good. As it was raining the rear of the car was very wet and so picture that I took with my mobile phone probably isn't as sharp as it would otherwise be. The brightness and picture quality is the same even when down in our underground garage which really is a dingy place which would appear to be a great improvement over the earlier versions of camera from what I read although I have no direct experience of this obviously.

The lines are also static when compared to the earlier version but I'm really quite pleased with that as I would no doubt find them a distraction.  Not quite sure what those two chevrons are supposed to indicate - it skipped my mind to try pressing one or both of them lol.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:52:44 pm by Deeps »

Offline Cornish CX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:07 am »
Good to hear that you are happy with the camera and that they seem to have the quality right.  I am very tempted to have this added to mine, just waiting to see what prices others get as my local garage isn't always the best without having another price.  I wonder why the lines don't move on this, assumed it would be the same as the standard sport model one.

James

Offline Deeps

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 09:27:02 am »
I wonder why the lines don't move on this, assumed it would be the same as the standard sport model one.

James

It might be a case of Mazda receiving feedback that these lines moving around and changing colour etc were a bit too confusing for your everyday user. I really don't have a definite answer but can only reiterate that I find what is now statically displayed to be just fine. I've lived umpteen years without the need for a reversing camera without bumping into things LOL but as a result of the reversing tones being next to useless with my somewhat degraded hearing combined with the fact that our underground garage is relatively dark and full of roof support stanchions, I was of the opinion that the reversing camera would be a big help. The prime reason though, is that it assists in reversing precisely up to the hitch on our caravan therefore negating the need to shove the van around heavy handed.
With the camera being shown at €428.99 over here I found the fitting charge of €121 by my dealer to be quite reasonable considering the amount of work involved in the fitting of these cameras.

Edit: anyone requiring a copy of the installation instructions please send me a PM giving an email address to which it can be forwarded.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:29:16 am by Deeps »

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:01 am »
The arrow indicators are to warn you (if reversing out of a space) of something coming from left or right which you may not have seen. It uses the camera combined with the blind spot monitoring (BSM) system sensors in the rear bumper. That's how it works if you buy the £800 safety pack add-on, anyway.

Alan

Offline Cornish CX-5

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:24 pm »
Thanks for the info Deeps.  I can see your point with the lines being better by not moving.  I will have to pop into my local dealer and see what they can offer.  I will take you up in the offer of the instructions, at least then I can see what they are charging the money for.   James

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »
The arrow indicators are to warn you (if reversing out of a space) of something coming from left or right which you may not have seen. It uses the camera combined with the blind spot monitoring (BSM) system sensors in the rear bumper. That's how it works if you buy the £800 safety pack add-on, anyway.

Alan
Updated. I got that wrong. The left arrow is for hiding and revealing the top menu for display brightness, etc. The right arrow hides/reveals the graphic for the ultrasonic parking sensors. The ones I mentioned earlier appear as required when the sensors pick up a moving vehicle.

Alan.

Offline Deeps

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 07:36:30 am »
Okey dokey Alan, got it. Thanks.  ;)

Offline xtrailman

• From Worksop Great Britain.
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »

This is my night time picture, not totally dark as there is a lamp post close by.
I find the quality poor compared to my 2013 car.

What do t
others think?

PS its a lot worst than that at times especially in rain.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:21:50 pm by xtrailman »
Was 2013 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Man 1663kg
Now 2015 Mazda CX-5 175 AWD sport nav Auto 1703 kg.
 Towing a 1565kg Bailey Valencia 2011 model.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »