Author Topic: 2.2D worrying flat spot when accelerating  (Read 9428 times)

Offline JBW

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Sky Blue Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2017
2.2D worrying flat spot when accelerating
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:21:25 pm »
Mazda 6  2.2 D  9 months old and has travelled 8000 miles

For the last three weeks I have often experienced a" flat spot" when trying to accelerate between about 20mpm and 30 mph in 2nd / 3rd gear.

A few days ago the symptoms suddenly worsened - the engine was warm but it was a cold day. I happened to be on a series of stretches of road separated by roundabout and junction. Hence I had to repeated start from a slow or standing start. The engine would not accelerate through the difficult speed range there would then be a single “ding” and everything would return to normal for a while before the same thing happened again. I then drove around 100 miles without the problem reoccurring.. Before the “ding” occurred the cruise control “set speed” mph value was flashing.

Has anyone else experienced this worrying quirk?

Offline BigAl

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: 2.2D worrying flat spot when accelerating
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:20:10 pm »
I’ve not actually had this. However, your description is exactly what my dealer said to me happens when Diesel engines coke up. He’s seen quite a few lately, although your mileage looks quite low for this to be happening. He did say that most he had seen had been run on supermarket diesel, it’s his opinion that this could be a factor. (I had volunteered mine for him to use as a comparison as it’s only ever run on Shell VPower Diesel.) However, there were also some engine software updates done to help with this issue. I’d suggest you check whether yours is up to date.

Alan

Mazda CX-5 Forums

Re: 2.2D worrying flat spot when accelerating
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:20:10 pm »