Author Topic: Android Car Play Grief with new phone running Android 8 (Oreo)  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Gel

• New to Mazda; enjoying my new CX-5
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
Computer Says No: :(

Just got new Moto Phone running Android 8, but unlike my last Moto, I get an error message as soon as I plug phone in to car; anyone else had this?
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline Gel

Re: Android Car Play Grief with new phone running Android 8 (Oreo)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 11:22:53 am »
UPDATE/ Solved (Soon!)

Mazda has replied quicker than expected on problem:

"In this case, you need to contact your Mazda dealer and demand the technician to update the software version.
They need to install the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay in your car in order to be able to use the phone"

Support team based in Germany, explains use of "Demand"!

Booked in for tomorrow; recently issued apparently, according to my dealer.
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline Gel

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 11:13:43 am »
UPDATE 2.5;

Day before taking to dealer the phone updated to Android 9, but it still wouldn't accept
car's Android Auto software.
Dealer updated (took around 3 hours!) s/ ware from:
70.00.100. EU N
to
70.00.335.EU N

Android Auto now works again with my new phone ;D
Gerald
Thames Valley

Offline dunhill1984

• Colour: Snowflake White
  • Engine: 2.5L
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 10:13:12 pm »
Whats it like talking to yourself :P
living a stress free life near dona nook (nth somercotes) bombing range on lincs coast

steve101

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 07:37:02 am »
Last time I looked there were 81 viewings of this topic. This surely shows that Gel isn't talking to him/herself. Most people would respond if they had anything pertinent to say. Now, what is the opposite of 'pertinent'?

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Model Grade: SE-L
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 09:24:27 am »
It dosen't help that there is no "thanks" button or similar. I'm now officially saying thanks to Gel for the information. One thing, I can't understand is why it took the dealer 3 hours to update the firmware. When I do it myself it takes an hour tops and that's including reading the instructions to the letter making sure I don't miss anything.
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

Offline Deeps

• Located 20mins NW of Stuttgart, Germany
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:52:49 am »
I'm referring here to the CX5's general (motor) firmware not specifically to any entertainment firmware etc. A couple of weeks back my own 2015 CX5 went in for an oil + filter change (mid service at my own request). At this time it was noticed that the vehicle needed a firmware update which was then undertaken. After almost sixty minutes the technician came back to me and stated that there was obviously a bad internet connection between the workshop and Mazda and that they were unable to install the firmware. Subsequently a further appointment was made for this to be executed. However, no sooner had a driven away from the forecourt than the dashboard lit up in Blackpool illuminations fashion with just about every warning symbol one can possibly imagine lighting up. This prompted an immediate U-turn with the car returning to the service bay.

Less than 10 minutes later the vehicle was returned to me with the technician stating "all sorted" and with the presumption being that whilst the firmware upgrade had been unsuccessful overall certain aspects of it had installed and were now mixing with the old firmware. In short - chaos. To get around the problem of the bad internet connection between the workshop and Mazda the technician used his own mobile phone to download and install the newer firmware and as stated, in a very short period of time the problem was solved and the newer firmware installed.

It would appear, therefore, that reports of firmware updates taking excessively long can only be put down to workshop technicians executing multiple jobs on different vehicles at once as in my case it has been shown updates can be executed in a very short period of time.
Mazda CX-5 Exclusive Line 2.2D (150PS) 6AT AWD tugging a 2016 Hymer Eriba Troll 542 Caravan (1300kg).

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:52:49 am »