Author Topic: 2013 CX-5 - folding mirrors stuck in  (Read 6944 times)

Offline NiceCupOfTea

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
2013 CX-5 - folding mirrors stuck in
« on: December 21, 2020, 03:15:18 pm »
Hi all,

New to the forums, please be gentle!

Mrs.NCoT has had a 2013 CX-5 2.0 petrol Sport Nav for a year or so and is very pleased with it (I really like it too, much better than her previous Mk.1 Qashqai which was a hateful thing).

She went out on Saturday morning, mirrors working fine, got back in the car to come home, mirrors wouldn’t fold out.  All the directional controls for the mirror absolutely dead too.

I am assuming it’s the switch or power as both mirrors appear dead completely.

I’ve checked the 7.5A fuse and it’s good.

Pulled the switch out of the door (a world of pain that involved removing the door card as somebody had wedged something into the plastic clips to fatten them up a bit, so it would never have come out without being pushed from the other side!).  All looks good with the switch and I even took it apart to check for any obvious problems.  Window switches are working perfectly.

I found a pin out on MCX5.org, but can’t get anything to match up with what’s there.  Bizarrely if you look at the back of the plug in the car, some of the terminals that are supposed to be connected aren’t!

http://www.mcx5.org/power_outer_mirror_switch_inspection-743.html

You can see from the pic attached that 2M, 2K, & 2L are not connected on my car - where 2K is clearly used in the diagram...

This makes me suspicious of any testing that I do.  Had a quick search for a replacement switch pack on eBay but weirdly the part number on mine seems to be rare (KE78-66-350) - I turned up one in Lithuania but that was it!

https://rrr.lt/en/used-part/atd1388-ke7866350-mazda-cx-5-electric-window-control-switch

Anybody got any ideas?  I’d like to swap it with another just to check that is the problem as I suspect I won’t see much change from £200 for a new switch pack so I’d like to make sure it is the problem!

In the meantime, anybody got any smart ideas on how to power the mirrors out so I can actually drive the damn thing!?

Offline NiceCupOfTea

Re: 2013 CX-5 - folding mirrors stuck in
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 03:20:34 pm »
Attached photo...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hovis

• it's wet again
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 08:52:54 am »
do you have the auto fold pack installed?, if yes has it failed? otherwise sounds like a break in cable somewhere!!

Offline NiceCupOfTea

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 05:30:28 pm »
No, no auto fold pack. I mean, it could be a break in the cable but not really sure how I could test it. As I mentioned the workshop manual seems to show a different pinout, very confusing. The easiest thing would to be to swap with a known good switch I guess but I don't know anybody else with a CX-5, and they are very expensive to buy just to fire the parts cannon at the car! I was just wondering if anybody else had had the issue or knew why the manual appeared wrong (or has access to a decent workshop manual- I found one that looked good online but it's in Russian :D )

Offline rmvf

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Year: 2020
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 11:34:23 pm »
Sorry i cant help you, but in my current situation i know what i would do, pull mirrors out and leave em, especially if i was going to get rid within 12 months, out of 9 mazdas we have had over the years 3 had mirror problems ranging from the folding switch going to water ingress. I know they also dont like to be knocked as would any electric mirror to be honest. On my 2012 cx5 i had a drivers mirror that would act up every so often. Please let the forum know how you get on and good luck and xmas wishes.
2012 sport nav in pearl white
2016 sport nav in sonic silver
2018 sport nav in mica blue
2020 sport nav in sonic silver
2022 sport black in machine grey

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 11:34:23 pm »