Author Topic: Music system upgrade for 2013 Cx-5?  (Read 9439 times)

Offline Space Cowboy

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Music system upgrade for 2013 Cx-5?
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:22:29 am »
Bought my 2013 Cx-5 last month and just wondered if there was an upgrade available for the music system? The Bluetooth player is fairly basic and does not change albums on my smart phone.

Offline Space Cowboy

Re: Music system upgrade for 2013 Cx-5?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 01:57:11 pm »
Nobody?

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:59:23 pm »
By upgrade, are you referring to the software or a physical replacement of the audio head unit?

The latest software version is 59.00.502 on the MZD system, but I don't know offhand whether that also applies to the MK1's TomTom based system as well. It's probably worth checking it with the dealer about getting it updated if necessary. I know there were some issues a while back with usability of the USB audio files, but I think that was resolved with a software update.

However... I do use the bluetooth audio but only for Spotify. You can only pause, skip forward and skip back with the car's controls. Everything else has to be done from the phone screen itself and the album artwork doesn't display on the car screen either. That's why I have a charging cradle on the A pillar so I can see the Spotify screen. I would imagine that using stored audio from a phone may be the same? If you use the inbuilt Aha feature you can switch between menus with that using the car controller to select different channels, podcasts, etc.

I think someone did raise the subject of swapping the whole unit for another one earlier on the forum but can't find it at the moment.

Alan

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:26:36 pm »
The higher trim models have a Bose system, but it's the same NB1 stereo with a Bose amp and more speakers - you'd gain some sound quality but not use-ability.
I use an ipod via usb on mine which gives me full control of albums/artists etc.

If you swap out the stereo you'll lose all the car settings accessed via the stereo.

Offline Space Cowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:45:26 pm »
Thanks Alan I just wanted some background info on what software/hardware upgrades were available before asking the dealer. Just wondered if it was possible to upgrade the Bluetooth software especially as there is no shuffle or album changing option when using my smartphone. Plugged my smartphone into the USB to try that option but there is no response so I'm guessing the USB is only for memory sticks which I have tried and played though I believe there is a big on this edition which means each time the ignition is turned on the USB player returns to the first track.

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 08:13:18 pm »
Thanks Alan I just wanted some background info on what software/hardware upgrades were available before asking the dealer. Just wondered if it was possible to upgrade the Bluetooth software especially as there is no shuffle or album changing option when using my smartphone. Plugged my smartphone into the USB to try that option but there is no response so I'm guessing the USB is only for memory sticks which I have tried and played though I believe there is a big on this edition which means each time the ignition is turned on the USB player returns to the first track.
As far as I could find out there is no software upgrade for the NB1.  With my (old) ipod plugged into USB I get full control from the touch screen or commander knob, and I'm fairly certain my iphone is the same (but I'd need to check tho). I had the problem with the system always reverting to track 1 but it was cured by having a new bluetooth controller fitted under warranty.  Apparently the BT controller also controls the USB.

Offline Space Cowboy

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »
Cheers Bert! I will have to ask the mazda dealership whether their used car warranty covers this.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »