Audio & Visual Section > Interior Modifications

Ambient Lighting project

<< < (2/3) > >>

RichardCX5:
Next step in my ambient lighting project is an LED in the storage in front of the gearlever. Not much in the way of functionality with this one, it's more of a cosmetic and 'wow factor' mod :)

Some (dis)assembly required. Actually it wasn't that difficult, unscrew the centre console and slide it back an inch, undo a few screws under the gearlever panel and a few trim clips later this lot can be removed.

So my plan was to install an LED somewhere in this storage area, probably at the top but I didn't know where the best clearance in the dashboard would be so it took a trip back out to the car with this to work out where it would fit - at the top is fine though there isn't a huge amount of space between the top of this unit and the bottom of the climate unit.

Back inside and I taped an LED (5mm flat top 12v wide-angle) in to see what it would look like. Nice!

[/url]

Measured halfway across the box, and drilled a 5mm hole. I chose to put it as far back as possible.

Test fit once I'd drilled the hole, all good so far.

I also removed the glovebox and trim panel to get better access to the fusebox area.

Cable run from centre console and tapped into the ambient lighting loom mentioned above, useful as it's separately fused.

Test run!

And all fitted back into the car. Once it's dark I'll have a look and see what the final result is.

RichardCX5:
...and a few pictures in the dark

This one shows the cumulative effect from the overhead lights as well as the cubby LED, pretty nice!

rmvf:
 :) nice job Richard, that would suit mine as the footwell lights are red aswell, like it

RichardCX5:

--- Quote from: rmvf on September 03, 2016, 10:14:56 pm --- :) nice job Richard, that would suit mine as the footwell lights are red aswell, like it

--- End quote ---

Cheers :) I thought about adding red LEDs to the footwell as more ambient lighting but want to gauge how bright this will be first.

Ant:
Thanks for answering my questions Richard - very helpful for when I find some time to have a look at this myself. It seems I'll need to source a new strap for the A pillar though.

Good work on the LED in the storage compartment too.

I would be going for red LEDs as well to tie in with the welcome illumination kit in my car. (My previous Golf had red ambient lighting which looked good)

On recessing the LEDs in the overhead console, would you actually need a tube as such? If you could bond a small piece of scrap plastic that is thick enough to the back of the panel and drill the mounting hole through that, you could presumably position the LED so that the flat end was flush with or slightly below the console surface?

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version