Technical Section > Engine/Transmission/Powertrain/Exhaust

Turbo camshaft issue

(1/3) > >>

KarenDill:
Hi, we have a mazda cx5 from new, 58,000 miles 2.2 diesel. 3 years 4 months old so just out of warranty.
2 weeks ago,  1 mile into journey on a cold morning, the car lost compression and could not restart.
Mazda dealer charged £1000 labour so far and come up with the following
Carbon deposits in engine that they are blaming on local (non mazda) garage using synthetic rather than semi-synthetic oil. Only 5w30 specified in the handbook. They suggest another £2000 to clean.
They say EGR needs checking and as engine not starting needs further stripping down of engine at £130 per hour.
Finally they say there is a problem with turbo camshaft. This seems to be a known issue reading on this forum. A fact mazda have failed to mention when they offered 0% contribution to fixing the car

ROCKETRON:
What do you mean by car lost compression? also what is a "turbo camshaft" as there isn't one as far as i know. There are quite a few instances of the camshaft failure causing lots of swarf to run around the engine and then give you  a warning of contaminated oil. I dont know of any faults that stop the engine starting or running though. The problem is if its been serviced outside the mazda dealer then they will feel that they dont owe you any goodwill if its now not under warranty.
It sounds to me that they dont know whats wrong as £2000 for some sort of cleaning is a total non-sense and sounds like something meant to scare you and you take it away and what have they done already to charge £1000 for. Carbon deposits would have to be huge to block up all the ports to stop it starting. I feel that you need somebody else to look at it and see why it isnt starting and take it from there.

BigAl:
Sounds to me like they may be "BS"ing you (is it a Mazda main dealer?) and would ask for a second opinion if possible. I'd definately be taking this to Mazda UK and make a huge fuss. Posting on their Facebook page is known to get a quick result usually. https://www.facebook.com/MazdaUK/?fref=ts

The known camshaft issue (which I had) affected some early 2.2d engines. It was improperly hardened cams which shed fine particles of cam material into the oil. That can then lead to other problems. In my case, the particles got into the very fine oil-ways in the turbo and cause the turbo bearings to fail. That problem manifested as a drastic loss of power (is that what you mean by lost compression?) when accelerating down a motorway slip road, a lot of warning lights, etc. It then continued to run, but it didn't feel "right", and there was a faint whistling/whining noise under load which came from the turbo. As far as I know, this is a known problem, but not a recall, so it only gets dealt with IF the problem occurs, not IN CASE it occurs.

I think someone may have posted the relevant engine serial numbers here, but can't find them at the moment.

Alan

Willpower:

--- Quote from: BigAl on November 16, 2016, 11:20:59 am ---I think someone may have posted the relevant engine serial numbers here, but can't find them at the moment.

--- End quote ---

This is the only information I can find relating to VIN numbers
The affected VIN number for possible camshaft problems is up to number 163230 as long as it starts with JMZKE.

BigAl:
Thanks, I was lsearching for engine numbers rather than vehicle VIN's which explains why I couldn't find it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version