Author Topic: Mazda to Add Android Auto, Apple CarPlay Capability  (Read 28892 times)

Offline Anchorman

• Body: SUV
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport Nav
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2018
Re: Mazda to Add Android Auto, Apple CarPlay Capability
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 01:28:48 pm »
Upgraded the firmware this morning and then did the fitting this afternoon.  All works rather well.

Do you mind me asking what it all cost to do yourself?

£187.80 from my local dealer.  Oh I bought some sponge tape from Amazon as well.  The parts come with zip ties so you don't need to get those.

Interesting.  What about installing the software - is it easy?  Sorry to bombard you with questions.
Eagles may soar high but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.......

Offline Southern Teuchter

• Old enough to know better Young enough not to care
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux Nav
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2016
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 01:58:16 pm »
Interesting.  What about installing the software - is it easy?  Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Yes, pretty straightforward.  All the instructions, software, videos, etc. can be found here:

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2018-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/230249-genuine-carplay-android-auto-all-here-now.html#post2405671
Now: Maxda CX-5 SE-L Lux Nav 150ps 2WD Manual : Soul Red
Prev: Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R 140ps 4WD Manual : Black

Offline CX-Fiver

• Body: SUV AWD
  • Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 09:39:09 am »
I don't have the confidence in my abilities - or limited toolkit - to carry out this job. Well done those of you who have or will steam in there and do it yourselves.   :)

I'm going to do the software upgrade myself (as I've done in the past) to v70 and then go to my dealer for the hardware upgrade. I see the recommended cost is £350 but already there are some offers for this work. https://www.magnamazda.co.uk/new-car-offers/mazda-apple/

I guess the cost can be offset against future map upgrade costs. Be nice to have a USB port that'll charge my Galaxy Note8 too.

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 10:32:39 am »
I don't have the confidence in my abilities - or limited toolkit - to carry out this job. Well done those of you who have or will steam in there and do it yourselves.   :)

I'm going to do the software upgrade myself (as I've done in the past) to v70 and then go to my dealer for the hardware upgrade. I see the recommended cost is £350 but already there are some offers for this work. https://www.magnamazda.co.uk/new-car-offers/mazda-apple/

I guess the cost can be offset against future map upgrade costs. Be nice to have a USB port that'll charge my Galaxy Note8 too.

Nice to see a dealer being proactive.  When I ordered the parts for mine, the dealer asked me what they were for...   ::)

Offline Fangface

• Colour: Crystal White Pearlescent
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 01:58:34 pm »
I have my vehicle booked in next Friday for the upgrade.  Fingers crossed it works well as it is the only thing I have felt that I would have wanted on the car that it didn't have.  Looking forward to using Waze instead of the in-built Nav system which isn't great in my opinion.

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 02:01:58 pm »
I have my vehicle booked in next Friday for the upgrade.  Fingers crossed it works well as it is the only thing I have felt that I would have wanted on the car that it didn't have.  Looking forward to using Waze instead of the in-built Nav system which isn't great in my opinion.

I've been pleased with the upgrade.  Mainly due to being able to have Waze on the larger screen - which works pretty well IMO.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 11:58:51 am »

I've been pleased with the upgrade.  Mainly due to being able to have Waze on the larger screen - which works pretty well IMO.

Loving the username - I'm in Inverness and most people south of here will have no idea what a Teuchter is!

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 03:42:58 pm »
Loving the username - I'm in Inverness and most people south of here will have no idea what a Teuchter is!

LOL.  Live south of the border these days - hence the name!  ;)

Offline Fangface

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »
I had the system installed on Friday and so far I am very pleased with it.  The only downside so far seems to be that you have to have your phone plugged into the cable for it to work.  This seems crazy when the manual says the system uses bluetooth to transmit the information when plugged into the usb port on the car marked with the phone.  I realise on longer journies you would want to be plugged in and charging but if I am doing a quick 10 minute run somewhere it would be great if you didn't need to be plugged in. 

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 02:50:46 pm »
I had the system installed on Friday and so far I am very pleased with it.  The only downside so far seems to be that you have to have your phone plugged into the cable for it to work.  This seems crazy when the manual says the system uses bluetooth to transmit the information when plugged into the usb port on the car marked with the phone.  I realise on longer journies you would want to be plugged in and charging but if I am doing a quick 10 minute run somewhere it would be great if you didn't need to be plugged in.

Think I read somewhere that the existing Bluetooth speed wasn't fast enough to support some of the data transfer - hence the need for the physical connection.  One of the other things I like about it is if you plug into the 2nd USB socket then you can use it in 'pre-upgrade' mode - i.e. use the Mazda system for everything.  However, the more I use Carplay, the more I prefer it over Mazda's own system.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 09:54:06 am »
I'm having a few issues with Android Auto cutting out randomly and defaulting to the normal Mazda Connect Screen and then reconnecting sometimes right away and other times minutes later.  Looking online cable quality has been suggested as a common issue for problems so I have ordered a cable from the recommended list of suppliers.  I also did a full factory reset of the Mazda Connect system last night after the upgrade to v70 so hopefully these two things will result in more stability.

Has anyone else had any issues with disconnects?

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 02:35:19 pm »
I'm having a few issues with Android Auto cutting out randomly and defaulting to the normal Mazda Connect Screen and then reconnecting sometimes right away and other times minutes later.  Looking online cable quality has been suggested as a common issue for problems so I have ordered a cable from the recommended list of suppliers.  I also did a full factory reset of the Mazda Connect system last night after the upgrade to v70 so hopefully these two things will result in more stability.

If not your own cable then it's possible that one of the replacement cables that your dealer fitted is loose.  Since you paid for their service, I'd take it back and ask them to look at it.

Offline Fangface

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 08:38:04 am »

If not your own cable then it's possible that one of the replacement cables that your dealer fitted is loose.  Since you paid for their service, I'd take it back and ask them to look at it.

You were exactly right, the cable the dealer installed had worked its way loose.  They had it back in and now working great.

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 10:42:00 pm »
You were exactly right, the cable the dealer installed had worked its way loose.  They had it back in and now working great.

Good news!  :)

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 10:42:00 pm »