Author Topic: Wind / rain deflectors  (Read 11668 times)

Offline Silver Bullet

• What is it with BMW drivers ??
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Jet Black Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-Lux
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2013
Wind / rain deflectors
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »
Hi all,

Whilst I'm happy with the climate control functions and general ventilation, there are many times, particularly on long journeys in Europe, that I like to have the driver's window partially open (an inch or so ) when driving.  On a number of occasions I've absent-mindedly operated the screen wash only to have numerous droplets of washer fluid swept into the car to spray over my right shoulder and onto the headrest.

I'm now toying with the idea of fitting some after-market plastic deflectors into the window channels but before parting with my hard earned pension (such as it is), I would like to know if anyone here has fitted them, and if so, do they work and are there any down sides to consider.
#Thanks..

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:09:00 pm by Willpower »

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: Wind / rain deflectors
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:15:24 pm »
I don't have these and - in 2 1/2 years of owning one - I've never seen a CX5 with these fitted. I would guess that they would increase the noise level a bit (most wind noise comes from the mirrors anyway) and might affect the fuel consumption. One thing I have noticed is that trying to drive with the rear windows slightly down results in a horrible fluttering which plays havoc with my ears. I tend to keep the windows shut as I spend a lot of time on motorways. I find the ventilation system fine and leave the AC in Eco mode all the time (that doesn't seen to affect MPG).

Alan

Offline Silver Bullet

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 05:57:59 pm »
Hi all,

Whilst I'm happy with the climate control functions and general ventilation, there are many times, particularly on long journeys in Europe, that I like to have the driver's window partially open (an inch or so ) when driving.  On a number of occasions I've absent-mindedly operated the screen wash only to have numerous droplets of washer fluid swept into the car to spray over my right shoulder and onto the headrest.

I'm now toying with the idea of fitting some after-market plastic deflectors into the window channels but before parting with my hard earned pension (such as it is), I would like to know if anyone here has fitted them, and if so, do they work and are there any down sides to consider.
#Thanks..

Aha, at last some headway...  Although these wind deflectors (part number KD33-V3-700 Side Visors) are readily available in the USA as a "Mazda accessory",  Customer Services UK say they are NOT available in the UK and also suggested I should be careful about fitting after-market accessories for fear of compromising my warranty  !!.

Initially my local dealer also said they were not available in the UK and a search of the interweb thingy revealed they're simply not listed as a UK Dealer Optional Extra. They don't even appear on Petch's extensive list of CX5 accessories. 

Further investigations revealed they are, however, available in Europe under the same Mazda part number so I e-mailed Mazda Motor Europe GmbH to see if I could order them from a French, Belgian or Dutch dealer and pick them up when I next journey to Arnhem in September..

Mazda Motor Europe GmbH bounced my enquiry back across to Mazda EU/ UK (mmukassistance@mazdaeur.com) who said that, despite them not being listed as a UK accessory, they really should be available through the UK Dealership network & after a few more e-mails it was confirmed that such is the case ....

I just visited my local dealership & ordered a set (£96.00 Plus VAT) which they say will be delivered to them in a couple of days so with any luck I'll have them fitted by this weekend..  Finally sorted.. ;D

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:17:06 am »
Nice one. Persistence and patience does pay off with Mazda in the long run!

Alan

Offline Silver Bullet

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:14 pm »
All done & dusted..

Wind deflectors arrived at the dealership yesterday (delayed by the problems at the chunnel).  Spent half an hour studdying the instructions which suggested using IPA (no,not the beer, isopropy alcohol) to thoroughly degrease & clean the sash mouldings and sail garnish (plastc trim) before installation, a 400ml spray can of IPA is £9.99 from Maplins.

Once the prep work was done, fitting was quite easy. I did the nearside rear door first as the rear door sections each have a small tab which locks under the vertical plastic trim thus setting the height. The height of the front sections can then be married up to them so the sight line is maintained across the "B" pillar.

Getting the window seal (run channel) back in place is a little fiddly but not difficult,  just mind your fingers on the small metal locating clips which are fitted to the Deflectors & which lip under the soft rubber seal.

Whole job took just under 1 1/2 hours. Instructions say the vehicle must not be washed, rained on or driven for 24 hours so hopefully the weatherman has got it right for today & tonight. 

BTW... these are genuine Mazda parts and have the Mazda logo embossed into them...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:11:12 pm by Willpower »

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:30:14 pm »