Author Topic: 2.2 diesel auto issues. Pre 2014  (Read 9981 times)

Offline FatRS

• I NEED TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE!!!
  • Body: SUV
  • Colour: Arctic White
  • Engine: 2.0L 165ps
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Model Grade: SE-L
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Year: 2019
2.2 diesel auto issues. Pre 2014
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:25:38 pm »
Hi all. I’m new. Thanks for letting me in.
Long story short, due to worsening health and possible likely disability, my wife needs to change her car and a CX-5 is the forerunner...
However, thanks to some research on here I’ve discovered there are issues with the pre 2014 engines.

Firstly: Would it be fair, or naive to think if a 2012/2013 car has done circa 70-90k miles, the camshafts issue would have already manifested itself or otherwise not even be an issue? If the car has had a replacement engine, is it expected to be of a newer, modified spec?

Secondly: Are there still issues on the post 2014 spec cars? (and post 2016)

Thirdly: In short, what are the other main issues that effect these? I’ve seen high oil level and something else but I’m really not technically minded.

Lastly: I used to work at a Ford dealership that had Mazda alongside and the workshop controller said the cars and engines are good. No mention of issues I’ve read about on here. Therefore, is it just a case of a “small” number gathered together on an owners site that makes it sound worse than it is, or is it as common as it reads?

I’d really appreciate some feedback and appreciate any I receive.

Offline BigAl

• Colour: Eternal Blue
  • Model Grade: GT Sport
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2021
Re: 2.2 diesel auto issues. Pre 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:55:17 pm »
The Camshaft issue affects a known vin range, see here
http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=996.msg6675#msg6675
Any car up to that number can be affected at some point. Mine went when my 2012 sport nav was only 18 months old at 30k miles. Some are still happening now at 100k miles and more. Best to avoid any affected car unless you can confirm that the cams have been replaced and any associated work, usually turbo, has been sorted.

Any car after that VIN should not be affected, the problem was due to incorrectly hardened cams.

If the diesel is used for a lot of short runs, the DPF has to be regenerated more frequently, that burns diesel in the DPF to clean it. Unused diesel from that process is flushed back into the sump, diluting the oil and raising the level. More frequent oil changes are advisable in that case. Late 2018 models with Adblu don’t have this issue.

Mazda never officially acknowledged the camshaft problem, there was no recall. It was dealt with on a “sort it if it happens” basis rather than being proactive about it. It’s quite possible that some dealers have never seen it happen.

Consider the usage; short trips, low usage best suits the petrol engine. You want something to munch miles and drive hard, get a diesel. Whichever, ensure it has a full Mazda service history and get a good warranty.

Alan

Offline FatRS

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 05:41:35 pm »
Really appreciate the feedback BigAl.
So I can look at the early examples but they would have to have had remedial work to counter the issue. (Cams, turbo etc).
Interesting to see the varied range in when the problem can occur. I naturally assumed as some have manifested themselves very early, I would expect cars with 80+k would have been fixed.
I need to check in and I consider viewing.

Am I correct in saying petrol autos are like rocking horse poo?
Thanks.

Offline Bert321

• Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L 150ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 07:47:37 am »

The petrol wasn't available with an auto until the latest (2017 on) model, and IIRC it also wasn't available at the launch time either.  However I remember seeing an older one for sale a while ago - maybe it had been imported or something??

Offline FatRS

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 08:48:54 am »

The petrol wasn't available with an auto until the latest (2017 on) model, and IIRC it also wasn't available at the launch time either.  However I remember seeing an older one for sale a while ago - maybe it had been imported or something??

That would explain the rarity then. There was one advertised the other week but said it was Sport but clearly wasn’t. Perhaps import as you said. 

steve101

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 07:39:09 pm »
Daughter has just bought a 2015 Peugeot 3008 2.0 diesel, 163bhp, auto box. Nice car with all the accessories you could want.

Offline Jonno21

• Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 06:45:05 pm »
Daughter has just bought a 2015 Peugeot 3008 2.0 diesel, 163bhp, auto box. Nice car with all the accessories you could want.
Does it come with a tow rope? :o :o ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The internet is a huge dumpster. You have to look hard to find anything useful.

steve101

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 09:58:32 am »
Does it come with a tow rope? :o :o ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Best advice would be to not offer tows to strangers.

Offline Gbuss666

• Colour: Meteor Gray Mica
  • Engine: 2.2L 175ps
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Model Grade: Sport
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 09:22:19 pm »
I have a late 2013 2.2d AWD auto. Mine is JUST outside the vin range but it’s now sitting on my drive in bits awaiting recon head, turbo...... Mazda were NFG as there was a hole in the service history. The best quote I got was over £4K to strip and rebuild with new cams etc.

Mazda CX-5 Forums

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 09:22:19 pm »